Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Gen 8 v2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2021, 09:01 AM   #1

Default Gen 8 v2

Looking at this model with the improvements over v1. How are the new ones holding up? Is the radio and bump steer still an issue? Are the foams still an issue in the cold? 30's up here in NY.

Talk me into it, thinking of a wraith 1.9 or element trailwalker over this.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
davelopez0811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2021, 08:19 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Gen 8 v2

i have a gen8 v1 out of 5he first batch and it held up great the second run had diferent plastic and broke vary easy the new v2 and the axe have the good plastic i dont know it.the v2 has the upgraded housings or not but if not there only like $10a pop
the bump steer isent realy a issue but you can minimize it with free mods the radio is cheap but it works i steped on mine and broke my trigger off the esc held up fine its not a vary good.unit but no rtr has awsome electronics except maybe the axe right now traxxass axial and team assiated are on the top 3 but redcat keeps fighting for a spot at the table they make good rigs my gen8 will keep up with the best of them on the trail or the rocks
redcat dosent have the quality controle the otherguys have and they lack a good engineer its like they took it 90% of 5he way and its up to the consumer to finnish it out
in my opiniin that 10% is the differance between a good rig and a great rig
something else to think about is aftermarket suport redcat has vary little suport so 5hat 10% is harder and cost more to finnish than a axial or.traxxasss or element
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 02:09 PM   #3

I got a Gen8 V2 recently after being out of RC for a decade.

So far I am pretty pleased with it.The V2 doesn't have memory foams in the tires. They are very soft single stage, which allow the tires to conform well, but do tend to collapse while side hilling. They also switched to a low profile servo horn to help bump steer.

The Scout body is really what sold me. Quality and aftermarket seem to be better with the TRX4, but I am not a fan of their looks. No doubt the Gen8 can be built into a capable crawler, however.

Last edited by Mchaz; 01-07-2021 at 02:12 PM.
Mchaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 03:38 PM   #4

Thanks for the input. The scout body is what has me leaning hard towards it. Its between the wraith 1.9 and element enduro trailwalker. I know I can upgrade and get the support for the latter 2. But I feel the v2 is quite the step up from V1 but also best bang for the buck out of the box with the V2

Old 01-07-2021, 07:10 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

the scout body got me too
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 12:02 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Need more to go on. Where do you plan on using it (yes, size matters), terrain (park, path, fire road, deep tiny ruts...), is it your first one (if not get something different)...

In the end you won’t go wrong out of the box. Tire size, portals, CMS, approach and departure angle would be your questions to ask. There is Aftermarket for all of them, chinesium metal to outrageous pieces of art and cnc are all within a few bucks of each other when comparing the same part across the 3.
hnoroian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 02:53 PM   #7

This is my first crawler. I plan to crawl rocks and terrain where I mountain bike with other locals. Ruts, rocks etc... I'm in the northeast.

I also plan on it accompanying our family trail walks/hikes.

Old 01-09-2021, 09:18 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Personally I’d lean towards the Wraith in this case. All 3 are great but really up to you. The bodies are great but limit that cringe factor on the body at first and then they become more bashable when locked up on something. Go for the Spawn for the minor upgrades/updates. In the end you will have fun with either and becomes a Ford, Chevy, dodge, yota... they all do the same just what you like.
hnoroian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 09:45 PM   #9

I bought the V2 about a month ago and am having so much fun with it I. I already have a Wraith 2.2 built for strictly technical crawling so I wanted more of a scale trail truck. For the money it's an amazing truck and they fixed most of the issues they had with the V1. Plus the body looks good, better than the VS4-10. The bump steer is still not that good but unless you are doing comps, it's not a big deal and Club 5 sells the servo relocation mount that fixes it. I bought it but I don't know if i notice that much of a difference while driving. I say if you want the Scout body get it, its a great truck but if you want the Wraith, its a good truck too. I would post pictures but I guess my photobucket account is locked and they want to charge me now. Look me up on IG cleverleybros.rc I have been posting lots on it lately.
aclever is offline   Reply With Quote

Gen 8 v2 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
redcat gen 8 vs gen 7 hill climb challenge shenlonco Scale Videos! 0 07-20-2020 06:28 AM
Gen 7 Pro portal upgrade or buy Gen 8? Zappaz Redcat Crawlers 3 04-27-2019 10:19 AM
Redcat gen 8 & gen 7 trailing wicked snow trail for a race shenlonco Scale Videos! 0 02-20-2019 07:05 AM
Redcat gen 8 scout & gen 7 sport ( epic snow trail adventure ) shenlonco Scale Videos! 0 02-08-2019 12:35 PM