Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Review & Head-to-Head with TRX-4: unbox, on the rocks, trail & conclusion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2021, 10:29 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Arrow Review & Head-to-Head with TRX-4: unbox, on the rocks, trail & conclusion

The stock Gen8 V2 soundly beats the TRX-4 at crawling. Watch that action, along with trail performance and evaluation of the design from a technical/crawling perspective.

- 3 part review.
- head-to-head shoot-out on the rocks with 6 problems to overcome.
- useful experiences on the trail with the stock equipment.

Sound good? Check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...f8sd_dPtDDaP05

Coming next is the same comparison with the SCX10 III Gladiator and TRX-4 Sport. Mods will follow, with further testing and comparison.

Hope a few find this interesting and useful! Cheers from chilly Melbourne

Last edited by cragv; 06-09-2021 at 02:55 AM. Reason: Improved title & post description
cragv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2021, 12:24 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Review & Head-to-Head with TRX-4: unbox, on the rocks, trail & conclusion

Well, it turns out the Gen 8 V2 handily beats the SCX10.3 Gladiator on the 6-problem rock test, which is admittedly very hard for just about all crawlers. If it was going against the regular SCX10.3 with its more regular length, things may have been different.

But my rock test of the long Axial this week certainly makes the Redcat look like extra good value out of the box!
Old 06-20-2021, 03:50 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Review & Head-to-Head with TRX-4: unbox, on the rocks, trail & conclusion

I'll contain my excitement for this series to this thread. I did a head to head on a short, 10 gate, wet rock course. Three trucks: stock Axial Scx10.3 Gladiator, stock Redcat Gen 8 V2 and trail-modified TRX4 Bronco. 5 minute limit, 40 point DNF and -2 points per cleared gate (with a - 10 bonus gate). Reverses were 1 point and gate touches I made 5 instead of 10 because I was filming and driving, it was wet and I wanted to keep it interesting (they're great excuses, eh?).

https://youtu.be/oQVVGrASRkU
Old 06-29-2021, 09:45 AM   #4

I've seen some of your videoes and like them. Your voice is soothing.
Gen8 v2 is amazing, and even better once you get past the initial issues. I put some louise rowdy tires on mine and it became even better. It is down now for elecronic replacement to the spektrum crawler combo and moving to a different house.

Did you compete in crawling, or more than that?
wander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 05:12 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wander View Post
I've seen some of your videoes and like them. Your voice is soothing.
Gen8 v2 is amazing, and even better once you get past the initial issues. I put some louise rowdy tires on mine and it became even better. It is down now for elecronic replacement to the spektrum crawler combo and moving to a different house.

Did you compete in crawling, or more than that?
Thank you kindly for the compliment!

I've got a Stage 1 Upgrades & Fixes video in the works for this thing - part of that was the drag brake video I dropped earlier this week, but there's more coming yet.

The stock rubber is pretty good I think. Needs a little more weight on the front corners now that consistent power delivery has been sorted. Looking forward to getting this thing dialed in!

Comps - local scene for the most part but have done a Worlds (2018 ) and Nationals (2019) - things were just getting going before covid and rolling lockdowns happened in Oz, but we're starting to get things in gear again now. Only ever competed in crawling but I love social drives and scale stuff very much too. It's such a great hobby - soothing, in fact.

Thanks for watching, I appreciate you
Old 06-30-2021, 09:22 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

i think you need one more stone on your course to get a real feel for those rigs
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 06:35 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
i think you need one more stone on your course to get a real feel for those rigs
Lol I'll get right on that

(in all seriousness I'll get this outside soon onto some natural rock courses and compare them there too. I have a lot of rocks here but could use some bigger ones!)
Old 08-11-2021, 08:34 AM   #8

subd and subd
bapski is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comparison, gen8, gen8 v2, redcat, review

Review & Head-to-Head with TRX-4: unbox, on the rocks, trail & conclusion - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
its time! full on BWD mini mantis.. test, tune an crawl! winnerone23 Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 362 07-14-2019 05:49 PM
hit up a local crawl spot, test and tune. rocracer01 Washington 0 06-08-2014 09:53 PM
Test and Tune.... msd44 New Mexico 41 09-17-2012 09:33 PM
Anyone down for Dakar Test n Tune 2/25 or 2/26? And some scale trail runnin with Rigs sandbaggerAx10 Nevada 7 02-23-2012 08:18 PM
AX-10..., ALL Chassis comparison/dimensions review. 5150bronco Axial AX-10 Scorpion 4 10-04-2008 12:22 PM