Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Better than club5 steering link?(gen8)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2021, 08:12 PM   #1

Default Better than club5 steering link?(gen8)

Ok, I've tried the club5 steering links and......not my cup of tea(I don't know who disappointed me more....club5 or Bowhouse)....has anyone had a better success using other manufacturers? Please let me know, proline by the fire is coming up and I want to be ready. Here's a random picture of my workshop.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Last edited by NUYORICAN420; 09-09-2021 at 01:33 AM.
NUYORICAN420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2021, 10:44 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Better than club5 steering link?

Heres what I did and it made ALL the difference imo.
I added the SSD Aluminum Link Mounts last year. The pan hard link is a bit taller than the stock one. I then added the Bowhouse PanHard Relocation mount for the cassis. This did a little bit to better position the panhard geometry.

But it was far from better than stock. only marginally. Still bad bump steer.

So, I took a hard long long at what was going on, and what needed to be changed and besides the 2 things just mentioned, I also changed the horn, drag link and cross link for steering.
I went with the SSD Trail King/ SCX10.2 steering links and an offset servo horn.

The s bend drag link used 2 short ssd rod ends to mount.
The Cross link I used a long SSD end, and a Short RPM, though a Short SSD end should be the same. this positioned the toe correctly. I did use the Gen8 Adjuster for the steering link and one thin metal washer and screwed the ends tight and it was pretty much perfect.

For the horn, I had a Treal LMT servo saver, that I wasn't using. I locked the servo saver part down so there is no 'saver' action.
But the horn on this piece is about 12 mm off the top of the servo.
With the offset horn (you can get a Ruddog or Exotec horn, or now Reefs just dropped on) that are about 10mm offset.
With these 3 items, I have all but eliminated the bump steer.
Axle shift is still there but a bit reduced with the bowhouse relocation mount and the SSD link mount being a bit higher than stock but that wont go away as axle shift is an inherent part of a panhard setup.

Here is a vid I just did on this a few days ago actually going over the issues which you may already be aware of, why they happen, and what can be done, if anything, to make them better.

Which is what I outlined above.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KJw7AfBSPs

Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 10:45 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Not sure what we're looking at here. Something about rred cat and club5. What red cat do you have? You picture looks like it was taken with a calculator, so I can't really tell what the issue is.
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 01:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gula View Post
Not sure what we're looking at here. Something about rred cat and club5. What red cat do you have? You picture looks like it was taken with a calculator, so I can't really tell what the issue is.
Thank you for your most invaluable insight on the subject.....but, if you read the post above....it's already been answered.(Thank you timmahh!!!!. Subscribe to timmahh YouTube channel you might learn something).

Old 09-09-2021, 07:51 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Better than club5 steering link?(gen8)

i basicly did what timmah did only i made my parts the only part i bought was the ssd lower links set i made my own panhard bracket and moved the pan hard bar and exstended it
i relocated the servo to the front its much happier there
i made my own links so there spot on
i do get just a little bump steer at full drop but not enuff for me to make a new panhard bar mount it drives perfictly straight so im good with it

i got my gen 8 out of the first batch so there werent any aftermarket parts yet so we made our own we fixed almost all.the issues before the aftermarket jumped on board and honestly i think most of the aftermarket companys making upgrades for the gen8 failed at actual upgrades club 5 for instance most of there parts are downgrades just heavy and poorly engineered
the only must have upgrade is.the ssd lower links set they snap on and almost dont need screws to hold them on almost lol there about as solid as they could be i did reuse the panhard mount brace though just because before ssd had there link mounts we had to come up with our own fix and i just carryed it over from the plastic mount i figured alittle extra beef couldent hurt
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 12:03 AM   #6

O.k. I ordered the the links(SSD00212) and ordered a hobbystar offset servo horn. I already have the treal link set with the club5 servo relocation kit and, the bowhouse panhard kit with the club5 husky steering kit.

My question is what size panhard link size can I reuse from the club5 steering kit?(all sizes are in mm.). BTW YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!!!!!!! thanks for the information.
Old 09-10-2021, 08:41 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

that club 5 servo relocation weight dosent fix anything it just makes it worse get rid of it and move the servo to the front
that big chunk of aluminum adds weight in the wrong spot and ruins your steering geometry
your steering link should be the same langth as your panhard bar if not your gona have a bad time
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 06:14 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUYORICAN420 View Post
Thank you for your most invaluable insight on the subject.....but, if you read the post above....it's already been answered.(Thank you timmahh!!!!. Subscribe to timmahh YouTube channel you might learn something).

Yeah, sorry, timmah must hit the reply button before me. Thanks for the tip, maybe he can teach this old dog some new tricks.
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 06:35 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
that club 5 servo relocation weight dosent fix anything it just makes it worse get rid of it and move the servo to the front
that big chunk of aluminum adds weight in the wrong spot and ruins your steering geometry
your steering link should be the same length as your panhard bar if not your gona have a bad time
I would agree on this. I looked at the Club 5 reloc mount, and determined it wasn't going to do much but make the servo connection to the drag link a bit better positioned, but that would do zero to improve steering, and if not well designed, would likely induce more bump steer, not less.

My servo is in the stock location. I thought of moving it, but decided it wouldn't really do much but make work and put the cog a bit higher if not done right.

This made me step back and take a longer harder look at what was really going on. which lead me to my current setup.

I also have just the ever so slightest bit of BS at the very end of suspension compression, but only on the right side, if the left or both compress at the same time, no BS is present. I'm very pleased with it.
Hoping to get some run/test time over the next few days.

Last edited by Timmahh; 09-25-2021 at 09:57 PM.
Old 09-10-2021, 06:38 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gula View Post
Yeah, sorry, timmah must hit the reply button before me. Thanks for the tip, maybe he can teach this old dog some new tricks.
FWIW, took me a minute to realize his pic didn't really have to do with his question. lol

Im just really anal retentive with a overbearing sense of Mechanical Reasoning and logic... lol

Though I do see some things way differently than the cat in the next alley. lolol
Old 09-12-2021, 11:56 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Not sure what the original poster is trying to achieve, but yes the club5 links are crap and the same with the relocation unit. Tried them both and sent it all back. The biggest improvement that people overlook is the SSD lower link mounts and a trx4 low profile servo horn. That combination will virtually eliminate the bumpsteer completely for a lot less money and effort. My son has a trx4 sport with a shorter wheelbase than my Gen 8 and I have no problem turning just as sharp or keeping up in technical stuff. Also after 80+ miles on the stock links I see no issue with the setup after the above changes.
Flamnpede1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 09:31 PM   #12

Thanks for all your replies......"killed it" during pro-line by the fire!!!....you guys are worth your weight in gold!!!!!

Old 09-25-2021, 09:55 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUYORICAN420 View Post
O.k. I ordered the the links(SSD00212) and ordered a hobbystar offset servo horn. I already have the treal link set with the club5 servo relocation kit and, the bowhouse panhard kit with the club5 husky steering kit.

My question is what size panhard link size can I reuse from the club5 steering kit?(all sizes are in mm.). BTW YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!!!!!!! thanks for the information.
My pan hard bar is the stock bar, so the Club 5 that is for the panhard bar would be the one I would go for. Which is the one that is bent and 69.5 as marked in your pic.

Though I am not SURE the stock panhard bar is the same length, which is what you pointed to in my pic asking for size.

Better than club5 steering link?(gen8) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rear Steering - 3-Link vs 4-Link and Chassis vs Axle Mounted Servo Panther6834 General Crawlers 18 05-10-2021 03:55 PM
SSD V2 Steering Link vs. VP / Incision Steering Link Drm31078 Axial RR10 Bomber 26 02-03-2017 08:32 PM
Wraith TEAMSTRC steering link/drag link???? SwampDawg 2.2 Scale Rigs 1 07-02-2012 04:03 PM
Steering link and drag link - what's the best bang for the buck? Matthewboerner Axial Wraith 29 10-25-2011 10:25 AM