RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Redcat Crawlers (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/redcat-crawlers/)
-   -   2 speed transmission vs 2 speed transfer case (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/redcat-crawlers/626396-2-speed-transmission-vs-2-speed-transfer-case.html)

Scoot49 09-13-2021 10:04 AM

2 speed transmission vs 2 speed transfer case

Hey all. New to the forum looking for some advice. I have a Redcat Gen 8 PACK kit, and would like to install some type of high/low selectable gearing. With no direct fit option, some type of retro fit is in order. Options are A: Retrofit 2 speed Traxxas or Axial transmission, or B: retrofit generic 2 speed transfer case ie... Helios. It seems to me that fitting a transfer case would be cleaner and require less modification. What is everyone's thoughts? ANY advice would be much appreciated? What would be advantage / disadvantage to using a 2 speed transfer case vs 2 speed transmission? Is one way more practical, suitable, desirable? Thanks in advance!!!!!

HumboldtEF 09-13-2021 11:28 AM

Re: 2 speed transmission vs 2 speed transfer case

Or Option 3, go brushless for a wider range of speed.

OSRC 09-13-2021 02:12 PM

I'd go with the t-case. I think it would be a bit easier overall. There is no practical difference between a 2-speed t-case or trans, you'd never know the difference "behind the wheel"

Timmahh 09-13-2021 08:04 PM

unless the gear ratio is different enough, it's likely better to move to a Sensored ESC/Motor combo.

Scoot49 09-14-2021 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HumboldtEF (Post 6092883)
Or Option 3, go brushless for a wider range of speed.

Interesting... Great going man. Now I want to do both::)

Scoot49 09-14-2021 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timmahh (Post 6092933)
unless the gear ratio is different enough, it's likely better to move to a Sensored ESC/Motor combo.

Ive got two votes for going brushless. Why do you say sensored would be the way to go? pardon my ignorance.

Scoot49 09-14-2021 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSRC (Post 6092899)
I'd go with the t-case. I think it would be a bit easier overall. There is no practical difference between a 2-speed t-case or trans, you'd never know the difference "behind the wheel"

Thats exactly what I was thinking. And to me it seems transfer case would be easier to fit. Which makes me wonder why its not more common.

OSRC 09-14-2021 11:45 AM

Not an easy retrofit. I shoehorned a different single speed in there, but going much larger (2dsp is about double the size) is a bit tough. That's a big, bulky skid, lots to trim out.

https://i.postimg.cc/yd1pKQ3f/20200926-175904sm.jpg

durok 09-14-2021 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scoot49 (Post 6092982)
Ive got two votes for going brushless. Why do you say sensored would be the way to go? pardon my ignorance.

Sensored brushless motors are really the only way to go on a crawler (if you are going brushless - brushed motors work very well, with some differences).

Sensorless brushless motors are typically used on go-fast bashers, and racers.

Not to complicate things TOO much, but there is a sensorless brushless motor type that does work very well in a crawler - but the motor type is different, it's known as an "outrunner" and the outside of the can spins rather than the inside. However, they are quite noisy unless used with Holmes Hobbies new Silent ESC. The Holmes Revolver is an excellent example of a crawler-specific outrunner motor.

That all being said, a sensored brushless setup will have a much wider RPM range and typically removes the need for a 2-speed.

Scoot49 09-23-2021 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSRC (Post 6093006)
Not an easy retrofit. I shoehorned a different single speed in there, but going much larger (2dsp is about double the size) is a bit tough. That's a big, bulky skid, lots to trim out.

Thanks for the picture and comparison. That puts things in perspective for sure. I've only seen the 2spd transfer cases in their ad pics. Didn't realize they'd be that much larger. But makes sense for sure. Does the 2nd speed in a transmission add much more real estate? Ive never had a 2spd transmission in my hand either.

OSRC 09-23-2021 06:20 AM

Depends on the transmission. Some are more compact than others. The AX2 is somewhat bulky for example, while the TRX4 unit is a little more svelte. RC4WD makes one for the trailfinder (R3 Trans) that would probably be your best bet since it mimics the layout you already have, though you'd have to come up with a way to mount it.

Scoot49 09-23-2021 10:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by durok (Post 6093019)
Sensored brushless motors are really the only way to go on a crawler (if you are going brushless - brushed motors work very well, with some differences).

Sensorless brushless motors are typically used on go-fast bashers, and racers.

Not to complicate things TOO much, but there is a sensorless brushless motor type that does work very well in a crawler - but the motor type is different, it's known as an "outrunner" and the outside of the can spins rather than the inside. However, they are quite noisy unless used with Holmes Hobbies new Silent ESC. The Holmes Revolver is an excellent example of a crawler-specific outrunner motor.

That all being said, a sensored brushless setup will have a much wider RPM range and typically removes the need for a 2-speed.

I appreciate the brushless input. This is definitely the way I will go on my next dedicated "crawler" project. And I say that because I've since come to the realization that I'm building more of a "Trail Truck" than a dedicated crawler. I think I'm more attracted to the idea of a 2 speed because I really enjoy the bench work. As in modding the truck to fit a 2 speed and fiddling with the electronics. And in the past week I've added a plethora of lights and other "scale" type mods that just aren't needed or practical for a dedicated "rock crawler". Additionally, I want the capability to lock and unlock the front diff. This thing turns like $#*@

Scoot49 09-23-2021 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSRC (Post 6093006)

Why did you replace the stock transfer case?

AK KRAWLER 10-23-2021 08:37 PM

That's a beautiful truck Scoot!

Scoot49 10-29-2021 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AK KRAWLER (Post 6096366)

Thank you very much sir!!!

OSRC 10-30-2021 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scoot49 (Post 6093813)
Why did you replace the stock transfer case?

This is a Wendigo with 2.2 tires. Uses the same driveline as the Gen8 with 1.9's. I couldn't gear it down far enough with the stock ratios and the larger tires, so I swapped out the t-case with one that had a higher ratio. Now it's butter. "thumbsup"

Quote:

Originally Posted by AK KRAWLER (Post 6096366)

I second that, looks fantastic sir!