Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Redcat Gen7 Pro - X-Mas present for 6yo daughter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2022, 12:19 PM   #21
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Redcat Gen7 Pro - X-Mas present for 6yo daughter

Man, she loves it. We have crawled in the house a little, as well as made some trails in the yard, but the steering really limits its capabilities.
That will be the first thing we fix when time permits.
AK KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2022, 06:16 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK KRAWLER View Post
Man, she loves it. We have crawled in the house a little, as well as made some trails in the yard, but the steering really limits its capabilities.
That will be the first thing we fix when time permits.
the narrow xrmod will give you the best steering but you would have to fit a axial locker or get realy creative with your axle shafts
this allows you to run wraith steering parts and build a almost bullet proof axle or go all out and pick up a metal og axial axle housing and build that up.for a much stronger axle and a bonus is a heavy metal front axle for better crawling and cog then keep the front axle for spare parts for the rear

Last edited by ferp420; 01-04-2022 at 06:25 PM.
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 06:34 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
the narrow xrmod will give you the best steering but you would have to fit a axial locker or get really creative with your axle shafts
this allows you to run wraith steering parts and build a almost bullet proof axle or go all out and pick up a metal og axial axle housing and build that up. for a much stronger axle and a bonus is a heavy metal front axle for better crawling and cog then keep the front axle for spare parts for the rear
Thanks ferp, I will look into that for the future, but hopefully I can increase it at least a little with some tweaks and free mods. At 6 years old, she can't have the best yet... It has to be earned

Plus, I don't want her to out crawl me...
Old 01-04-2022, 08:54 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thanks ferp, I will look into that for the future, but hopefully I can increase it at least a little with some tweaks and free mods. At 6 years old, she can't have the best yet... It has to be earned

lol right on
Old 01-05-2022, 06:23 AM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

Yeah, the high clearance steering kit they sell (if the pro doesn't already include those knuckles) should let you max out the cvd axles, around 45° of angle, no problem. It still won't turn great being fully locked, but short of a pricy upgrade (xr) or 4ws, it's what can be achieved quick and cheap. It's a nice improvement over stock without the high steer knuckles.
bgredjeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 07:03 AM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgredjeep View Post
Yeah, the high clearance steering kit they sell (if the pro doesn't already include those knuckles) should let you max out the cvd axles, around 45° of angle, no problem. It still won't turn great being fully locked, but short of a pricy upgrade (xr) or 4ws, it's what can be achieved quick and cheap. It's a nice improvement over stock without the high steer knuckles.
the xr mod isent as much about steering its about reliable steering i have a colection of broken cvd/dog bone shafts from all the rigs ive fixed indont have a gen7 but i have a pile of peices gen7 axles and e10 axles laying around that ive replaced or repaired the
the xr mod might not be the cheapest option although wraith knuckles and c hubs are cheap these days as are the shafts and the axial locker but the hole combo adds up in contrast if you break 2 or 3 cvds your close to the cost of the xrmod and you only do the xrmod once it realy is the only real fix for that style of axle i dont care if its redcat or axial both brands the only way to get reliable steering is with the xrmod

however if you dont over power the rig it should last ok with the stock parts but if your gona upgrade make it a real upgrade
Old 01-05-2022, 10:53 AM   #27
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
the xr mod isent as much about steering its about reliable steering i have a colection of broken cvd/dog bone shafts from all the rigs ive fixed indont have a gen7 but i have a pile of peices gen7 axles and e10 axles laying around that ive replaced or repaired the
the xr mod might not be the cheapest option although wraith knuckles and c hubs are cheap these days as are the shafts and the axial locker but the hole combo adds up in contrast if you break 2 or 3 cvds your close to the cost of the xrmod and you only do the xrmod once it realy is the only real fix for that style of axle i dont care if its redcat or axial both brands the only way to get reliable steering is with the xrmod

however if you dont over power the rig it should last ok with the stock parts but if your gona upgrade make it a real upgrade
Honestly, other than the axle shafts, I might have all the parts to do the narrow XR Mod already on hand. A few years ago, I was collecting parts for my sons og scx10 to do this and recently swapped scx10ii axles into his rig. I just have to do some digging around
Old 01-11-2022, 08:46 PM   #28
Rock Crawler

I went digging through my stash of axles and think I found what is needed to install a Narrow XR Mod front axle.

Name:  4EDFEAF4-FC51-4250-B1A7-69C6E5B31603.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  149.7 KB

This has the brass and inserts and AR60 knuckles.

*EDIT*
Heck, with me adding all the aluminum and brass parts to my Gen8 AXE, I almost have all the parts to put my stock plastic portal axles in her rig. All I would really need is some axle shafts, lockers, ring & pinion gears and the gears in the portal housings. Not sure I want to do that yet, but it could be a viable option for later.

Last edited by AK KRAWLER; 01-11-2022 at 09:00 PM.
Old 01-14-2022, 08:28 AM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I went digging through my stash of axles and think I found what is needed to install a Narrow XR Mod front axle.

Attachment 398454

This has the brass and inserts and AR60 knuckles.

*EDIT*
Heck, with me adding all the aluminum and brass parts to my Gen8 AXE, I almost have all the parts to put my stock plastic portal axles in her rig. All I would really need is some axle shafts, lockers, ring & pinion gears and the gears in the portal housings. Not sure I want to do that yet, but it could be a viable option for later.
dude save some parts for the next truck lol

those axles would go under that honcho nicely humm lol
Old 01-14-2022, 10:18 AM   #30
Rock Crawler

I know, I know…

I currently have a few sets of axles waiting for other projects.
My plan is to finish up everything that is in the works before starting any new ones. Sound familiar to anyone…

I really need to get these couple of rigs done and get back to my bigger build on XTM X-Factor axles. This little rig XTM X-Factor Electric Conversion

Last edited by AK KRAWLER; 01-14-2022 at 03:45 PM.

Redcat Gen7 Pro - X-Mas present for 6yo daughter - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Redcat Racing Everest Gen7 Sport & Pro! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 1 02-19-2018 10:13 PM
Redcat Gen7 pro... receiver waterproof? Mikelangelo Redcat Crawlers 3 01-20-2018 02:17 PM
chitty x-mas for the daughter thumper68 Chit Chat 19 12-27-2010 11:10 AM