Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Redcat gen 8 problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2022, 07:01 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Redcat gen 8 problems.

I just bought a used redcat gen 8. It's in like new condition. The guy I bought it from said he lost interest and let it sit. I got it home hooked up a lipo battery and both the esc and transmitter are blinking red. It's an axial AE-5 esc with a tactic TR325 transmitter, and a tactic ttx300 radio. I'm not even sure where to begin. I have tried disconnecting motor, setting trim to neutral without any luck. If I were to replace parts where should I begin? Esc?
Volsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2022, 07:20 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Redcat gen 8 problems.

Unplug the servo and try it again, a bad servo can do odd things. Try binding the receiver to the radio.

Those ESC's were never that great so its also possibly a culprit.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 07:32 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Sounds like the TX/RX needs bound. TX/RX can lose contact with each other for no apparent reason sometimes...
Maxx_Action is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 07:41 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I believe the TR325 is the receiver. The TTX300 is the transmitter (radio).

It sounds like you need to re-bind the transmitter and receiver, or as Tactic says "LINK" the transmitter and receiver.

1. Turn on the Tx (transmitter).
2. Apply power to the Rx (receiver).
3. If the Rx LED flashes once and then stays on, the Rx is already LINKED to the Tx. Otherwise, insert a small diameter screwdriver through the hole marked “LINK” in the receiver and press the pushbutton until the Rx LED glows red and then turns off after about one second.
4. Release the “LINK” button.
5. If the linking is successful, the Rx LED will flash once
and then remain ON.
6. Test for proper Tx/Rx functionality before use. If the
radio doesn’t appear to have become properly bound,
repeat steps 1–5 above

Once the transmitter is bound to the receiver you may have to program the transmitter. This is a little more challenging than the LINKING part. Let us know how you make out. I can probably help you with the programming info.
nightcrawler48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 08:00 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

I guess I should have added that the same day I bought it I took it to the LHS and they tried to link the radio and transmitter together without any luck. It was almost closing time so he didn't really get to dig in to it to much. When you say power up the servo I'm assuming you mean disconnect and plug back up? Still new to this but I really appreciate all the help on here
Old 01-21-2022, 08:07 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

I tried inserting a small screwdriver in the link slot but the light never changed. It's just a constant red blink.
Old 01-21-2022, 08:14 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volsfan25 View Post
I tried inserting a small screwdriver in the link slot but the light never changed. It's just a constant red blink.
i dont remeber if.you need a bind plug with that radio.or not

for the button trick you need to hold.the button while you turn it.on then while holding the button down on the reciver push the bind button on the radio and with your third hand.turn the radio on
if it uses.a.bind plug then you put the plug in then turn it on then do the radio hold the bind button and turn on the radio
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 08:22 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
i dont remeber if.you need a bind plug with that radio.or not

for the button trick you need to hold.the button while you turn it.on then while holding the button down on the reciver push the bind button on the radio and with your third hand.turn the radio on
if it uses.a.bind plug then you put the plug in then turn it on then do the radio hold the bind button and turn on the radio
No bind plug needed with that receiver, ferp.
Old 01-21-2022, 08:39 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volsfan25 View Post
I guess I should have added that the same day I bought it I took it to the LHS and they tried to link the radio and transmitter together without any luck. It was almost closing time so he didn't really get to dig in to it to much. When you say power up the servo I'm assuming you mean disconnect and plug back up? Still new to this but I really appreciate all the help on here
Unplug the servo and leave it unplugged. Then power up the ESC and see what happens. A bad servo can can cause all kinds of electrical issues so an easy test to check this issue. In this case we're checking for servo electronic issues, not stripped servo gears. The Axial AE5 ESC has an internal BEC rated at 5V output, peak 2A max. If the servo has an internal short, it will be drawing more than the 2A the BEC can supply. Hopefully the AE5 overcurrent protection is what is shutting everything down if the servo is the issue.
Old 01-23-2022, 10:26 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

I unplugged the servo. Still same results.
Old 01-23-2022, 05:09 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Replaced receiver with a brand new tactic and everything works as it should now.
Old 01-24-2022, 10:58 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Glad to hear everything worked out. And, thanks for letting us know the receiver was the issue. This may help someone else with the same issue in the future.
Old 01-26-2022, 08:26 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

i appreciate all the responses. Its actually a good crawler, but i am also new to this addictive hobby
Old 02-03-2022, 07:38 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Well here I am again. I will never buy tactic receiver again. After 15 mins of use I am having the same issues again. During slow speed through the house my truck just stopped dead in it's tracks and the link button is blinking again on the receiver. Tactic is garbage.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Old 02-03-2022, 09:11 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Hey man, I personally haven’t been a fan of the Tactic stuff. Not really a “fan boy”, but I have been pretty happy with our FlySky GT5 transmitters and receivers.
AK KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 03:35 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK KRAWLER View Post
Hey man, I personally haven’t been a fan of the Tactic stuff. Not really a “fan boy”, but I have been pretty happy with our FlySky GT5 transmitters and receivers.
Thanks I'll take a look at that. Even the guys at the Hobby Shop told me to go ahead and get away from the tactic receiver

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Old 02-04-2022, 04:31 PM   #17
RCC Addict

GT5's pretty decent. I really like the Radiolink RC6GS V2 system myself. I have both and find the GT5 a better feeling radio but the Radiolink a better operating and adjustable radio.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 04:32 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Flysky is about 70 on Evilzon.
Radiolink is 80.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 07:02 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmahh View Post
GT5's pretty decent. I really like the Radiolink RC6GS V2 system myself. I have both and find the GT5 a better feeling radio but the Radiolink a better operating and adjustable radio.
I was wondering about that. That is one thing that is a little lacking on the GT5. For most of what I do, the GT5 works okay. We'll see how it goes in the future...
AK KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote

Redcat gen 8 problems. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
redcat gen 8 vs gen 7 hill climb challenge shenlonco Scale Videos! 0 07-20-2020 06:28 AM
Redcat - Everest 10 vs Gen 7 vs Gen 8 s14rc Newbie General 10 12-19-2019 08:29 PM
Redcat Gen 8 and gen 7 snow adventure! shenlonco Scale Videos! 0 04-10-2019 12:37 PM
Redcat gen 8 & gen 7 trailing wicked snow trail for a race shenlonco Scale Videos! 0 02-20-2019 07:05 AM
Redcat gen 8 scout & gen 7 sport ( epic snow trail adventure ) shenlonco Scale Videos! 0 02-08-2019 12:35 PM