Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Rockslide Super 1/8th scale

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2019, 11:43 AM   #1

Default Rockslide Super 1/8th scale

Just received my Redcat Rockslide Super crawler today. This thing is a MONSTER! It will go over anything. Articulation is insane! Even came with a battery (2000mah NMH) I will be changing the leads to Dean style plugs, and use a 7.4 lipo. Going to mount a camera and video transmitter, like I did on my Rockslide 10. This morning, I was crawling around UNDER my mobile home, with the 10, checking the blocks where my deck has settled. VERY neat! Viewing with a set of Skyzone goggles.
cootertwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2019, 07:17 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Rockslide Super 1/8th scale

I love mine it’s a blast to drive. Really like the 4 wheel steer. I run mine with 2 2000 nmh batteries. Gives me more run time. I also did away with banana plugs.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 05:41 AM   #3

Was running mine yesterday, and noticed the rear wheels were not getting power. Motor running, but no turning of the wheels. Took the 3 screws out that allow you to see the pinion and spur gear, and found the motor screws had loosened, and allowed the gears to un-mesh. The motor screw holes are slotted, to allow different sized pinions. Re-set lash, tightened, and all is well. Pretty neat setup.
cootertwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 03:04 PM   #4

Howdy All... Have had my supercrawler for 4 years now ,, i walk it like a dog...LOL.. Goes just slow enuff i can keep up for a few mile walk in the woods or river bed. i know well its not fast but IMO fast breaks stuff . I dont do blogs or forums well so ill do my best to keep up . 2 questions ..
Has anyone ever found a replacement TIRE other than OEM to fit these rims ?
Next : ive wondered if my speed controller is faulty/bad as when i climb a loss hill or big rock the front tires spin a bit faster than the rear when going forward -- IF i go reverse and use only rear wheel steer all 4 spin evenly . Is this the way it is OR do i have a defective speed control ? Running stock NMH battery . Anywho's id like to get another speed controller as that is the only replaceable part i dont carry in my box - O - parts . Am in So Cal ..
Thanks for reading my post ..
Kavea
PS--- Is there a way i can get a email to my addy if a reply is posted ?
kavea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 04:42 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavea View Post
Howdy All... Have had my supercrawler for 4 years now ,, i walk it like a dog...LOL.. Goes just slow enuff i can keep up for a few mile walk in the woods or river bed. i know well its not fast but IMO fast breaks stuff . I dont do blogs or forums well so ill do my best to keep up . 2 questions ..
Next : ive wondered if my speed controller is faulty/bad as when i climb a loss hill or big rock the front tires spin a bit faster than the rear when going forward -- IF i go reverse and use only rear wheel steer all 4 spin evenly . Is this the way it is OR do i have a defective speed control ? Running stock NMH battery . Anywho's id like to get another speed controller as that is the only replaceable part i dont carry in my box - O - parts . Am in So Cal ..
Thanks for reading my post ..
Kavea
PS--- Is there a way i can get a email to my addy if a reply is posted ?

You're not likely going to find many people on here that have or regularly run a Rockslide as it just doesn't have the capabilities, serviceable parts, or specifications that appeal to this segment of the hobby. Redcat = yes but Rockslide Super 1/8... no.

I know literally nothing about the crawler that you have but I'm assuming the tires are glued to the (plastic?) rims so that's something to consider if looking for replacement tires. Also... I dunno if these are an actual soft rubber compound tire, or if these are more of a plastic-y rubber tire but in either case you need to consider that going with anything much heavier than the factory tires may significantly impair performance or even damage components/ electronics due to added rotational weight.

I'll cut to the chase here... If I were dead-set on keeping this rig, then I'd contact Redcat to see what they recommend. I don't know how serviceable this thing is nor do I know what replacement parts even exist... if any. This is a fairly old rig and and there may not be too much you can buy that's directly replaceable. You can throw another transmitter/ receiver at it, and you can throw a new esc at it but without knowing for sure what the issue is, then you're potentially just wasting your money. Again... I know nothing about this rig but if you can open up the axles/ differentials then I'd certainly do that first to see if you may have a stripped gear or if the gear mesh ( engagement) is the issue.

Anyway... Situations like these with rigs that don't have much aftermarket support usually end up stagnating due to lack of available resources. And again, I'd contact Redcat via phone or email to see what they suggest before spending any money on this thing.

Yes you can get an email notification but I wouldn't hold my breath on that. Go to USER CP ( at the top left side of the main page). Then scroll down to EDIT OPTIONS and click on that. Then click on MESSAGING & NOTIFICATIONS and scroll down to PRIVATE MESSAGES. There you can enable email notifications.

I know I haven't been much help but I hate to see people spend money on things and still not wind up where they thought they'd be. I think that you're going to have some issues from here on out maintaining the integrity of this rig... despite that you seem to have gotten some good use out of it and want to continue with it. Best of luck regardless.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 08:14 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

The vehicle you have is a MOA rig, which suffers from "clodstall", so your esc is fine. Just works that way. As far as your tires, not sure. However looking over a picture of a manual, it appears that the axles have wheel hexes. Replace wheels and tires at once. You can always take it to a rc hobby store and find tires/wheels that fit.
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 08:14 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavea View Post

Next : ive wondered if my speed controller is faulty/bad as when i climb a loss hill or big rock the front tires spin a bit faster than the rear when going forward

Anywho's id like to get another speed controller as that is the only replaceable part i dont carry in my box - O - parts . Am in So Cal ..
I believe they are 3.8 crawler tires (Rim should be around 90mm or so). They were popular with the larger clod crawlers years ago but have kind of fallen out of favor since 1.9 has pretty much taken over the market. They are modelled after ProLine Moab XL tires, long discontinued. There are still Pitbull 3.8 Rockbeasts and a few RC4WD tire options out there. Definitely do some measurements and make sure they'll fit - they are not cheap.

Clod stall is common with 2 motor crawlers - the rear motor can draw more amps and "stall" compared to the front and vice-versa. Nothing wrong per-se, just the nature of 2 motor rigs. A Hobbywing 880 would be an excellent upgrade, programmable and easily runs 2-3S and dual motors.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote

Rockslide Super 1/8th scale - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rockslide Super 1/8 body on Rockslide 1/10? StomperCrawler Redcat Crawlers 1 04-19-2013 11:24 PM
super rockslide scale build pic 1980chevycrawler Large Scale Rigs 4 03-18-2012 11:32 AM
Can some tell me rim and tire size of Rockslide 1/8th MnRockCrawler Superclass Crawlers 1 02-04-2010 07:27 PM
Any feedback on the 1/8th Rockslide? MnRockCrawler General Crawlers 2 02-01-2010 07:08 AM
Rockslide 1/8 Scale Super Crawler house_Fly Newbie General 6 12-07-2009 09:46 AM