Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: The new Gen 9 any opinions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2023, 06:01 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default The new Gen 9 any opinions

I've been seeing this lately and being an old Scout owner, I'm thinking of getting the Gen 9- I don't know anyone who actually has one and looking for input- I'm not sure about the 2 speed trans- I have never owned a Redcat anything so any opinions are appreciated BTW I just happen to have a spare 1080 ESC looking for a project
oldblue2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2023, 08:43 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: The new Gen 9 any opinions

the gen9 is basicly a gen8 with some upgrades i love my gen8 its been a solid rig ive had better luck with my gen8 than my trx4 or my axial rigs
i herd the 2 speed dosent shift vary smooth not a big deal but if you want to shift on the fly it might not like that
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 01:55 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

I'd say just buy it since you're an actual Scout owner. I think for the money it's a decent deal and the body looks great along with the interior. From the few videos I've seen, it looks like it drives and articulates really well. And definitely more of a trail truck but if one were to invest some time into making it a dedicated rock crawler, it think it'd be fun doing it.
Goro Majima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 06:11 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I have the Gen8 AXE, which is about as close to the 9 minus the newer body and 2speed.
Been a decent rig lb for lb. Plastics are pretty good but will tweak/bend/deform over time. only had a slider on my rig break but both steering arms on the knuckles were getting bent up.

Have a bit of Treal on it now.
You'll need to do a little work to the pan hard setup unless they have changed that. there is a bit of axle shift as the pan hard cycles, and there is some bump steer but that isn't too hard to pretty much eliminate with a little work and some parts.

Otherwise, it's been a really good rig and Id have no qualms buying another or the 9 or suggesting them for others. Now the AXE rig came with good electronics while the 9 has more rtr gear so take that into consideration, though the AXE was 500 new.

Last edited by Timmahh; 02-22-2023 at 06:14 PM.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 08:42 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I own the new 9. Good enough stock, and I feel more stable than the Axial early Bronco. Turns sharp & climbs very decent IMO.
Its my first Redcat also. I radiused the wheel wells and have larger tires on it. It does fine. Minus 1 on the pinion will be helpful.

Maxxamillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 09:53 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Default The new Gen 9 any opinions

I would also say just buy the Gen 9. Like Goro said, If you like the looks of it just get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by ScaleLifeNewbie; 02-23-2023 at 09:55 PM.
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 02:54 AM   #7

Former Scout driver and owner of 2 Redcat gen 8s(actually I own 1, the other belongs to my son). I can w/o hesitation tell you to get 1. My son has been driving his for ~3 yrs and we have replaced a couple of plastic parts over the course of that time and most of them I broke driving stupidly. He's now 8. Shortly after I bought him his, I started one from parts, all aluminum/metal parts and a PL 4Runner body. I just recently upgraded his electronics as I upgraded mine and gave him my hand-me-down (HW AXE motor/esc & new radio) I have broken nothing on mine in the last 2 1/2 years of initially daily runs into the woods out back to more recently, once a week trips to the mountains. They are rugged, dependable trucks, you will not be disappointed.
MaxPowers33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 09:19 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmahh View Post
Have a bit of Treal on it now.
You'll need to do a little work to the pan hard setup unless they have changed that. there is a bit of axle shift as the pan hard cycles, and there is some bump steer but that isn't too hard to pretty much eliminate with a little work and some parts.
The steering & axles on the gen 9 have been redesigned & bump steer isn't an issue anymore. It turns pretty sharp too. They finally got it right. It's a great trail truck.
Bob_in az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 03:03 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the input- Tax time is here and if I rec a return (fingers crossed) I for sure will do this Thanks again.
oldblue2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 08:29 AM   #10

I was very pleased to see the gen9 with the scout body and it is good to hear that the gen9 is looking to be a decent rig. I learned to drive is a 67 scout 800 with a 4cyl and 3spd
godwnlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 09:40 AM   #11

Definitely worth buying......I bought one when they came out and really enjoy it. I put the light kit on it and looks cool (it has dash lights...lol).
MaxxRPM is offline   Reply With Quote

The new Gen 9 any opinions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
redcat gen 8 vs gen 7 hill climb challenge shenlonco Scale Videos! 0 07-20-2020 06:28 AM
Gen 7 Pro portal upgrade or buy Gen 8? Zappaz Redcat Crawlers 3 04-27-2019 10:19 AM
Redcat gen 8 & gen 7 trailing wicked snow trail for a race shenlonco Scale Videos! 0 02-20-2019 07:05 AM
Redcat gen 8 scout & gen 7 sport ( epic snow trail adventure ) shenlonco Scale Videos! 0 02-08-2019 12:35 PM