RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Redcat Crawlers (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/redcat-crawlers/)
-   -   The new Gen 9 any opinions (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/redcat-crawlers/631284-new-gen-9-any-opinions.html)

oldblue2010 02-21-2023 06:01 PM

The new Gen 9 any opinions

I've been seeing this lately and being an old Scout owner, I'm thinking of getting the Gen 9- I don't know anyone who actually has one and looking for input- I'm not sure about the 2 speed trans- I have never owned a Redcat anything so any opinions are appreciated BTW I just happen to have a spare 1080 ESC looking for a project :lmao:

ferp420 02-21-2023 08:43 PM

Re: The new Gen 9 any opinions

the gen9 is basicly a gen8 with some upgrades i love my gen8 its been a solid rig ive had better luck with my gen8 than my trx4 or my axial rigs
i herd the 2 speed dosent shift vary smooth not a big deal but if you want to shift on the fly it might not like that

Goro Majima 02-22-2023 01:55 AM

I'd say just buy it since you're an actual Scout owner. I think for the money it's a decent deal and the body looks great along with the interior. From the few videos I've seen, it looks like it drives and articulates really well. And definitely more of a trail truck but if one were to invest some time into making it a dedicated rock crawler, it think it'd be fun doing it.

Timmahh 02-22-2023 06:11 PM

I have the Gen8 AXE, which is about as close to the 9 minus the newer body and 2speed.
Been a decent rig lb for lb. Plastics are pretty good but will tweak/bend/deform over time. only had a slider on my rig break but both steering arms on the knuckles were getting bent up.

Have a bit of Treal on it now.
You'll need to do a little work to the pan hard setup unless they have changed that. there is a bit of axle shift as the pan hard cycles, and there is some bump steer but that isn't too hard to pretty much eliminate with a little work and some parts.

Otherwise, it's been a really good rig and Id have no qualms buying another or the 9 or suggesting them for others. Now the AXE rig came with good electronics while the 9 has more rtr gear so take that into consideration, though the AXE was 500 new.

Maxxamillion 02-23-2023 08:42 PM

I own the new 9. Good enough stock, and I feel more stable than the Axial early Bronco. Turns sharp & climbs very decent IMO.
Its my first Redcat also. I radiused the wheel wells and have larger tires on it. It does fine. Minus 1 on the pinion will be helpful.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...720&fit=boundshttps://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...720&fit=bounds

ScaleLifeNewbie 02-23-2023 09:53 PM

The new Gen 9 any opinions

I would also say just buy the Gen 9. Like Goro said, If you like the looks of it just get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MaxPowers33 02-24-2023 02:54 AM

Former Scout driver and owner of 2 Redcat gen 8s(actually I own 1, the other belongs to my son). I can w/o hesitation tell you to get 1. My son has been driving his for ~3 yrs and we have replaced a couple of plastic parts over the course of that time and most of them I broke driving stupidly. He's now 8. Shortly after I bought him his, I started one from parts, all aluminum/metal parts and a PL 4Runner body. I just recently upgraded his electronics as I upgraded mine and gave him my hand-me-down (HW AXE motor/esc & new radio) I have broken nothing on mine in the last 2 1/2 years of initially daily runs into the woods out back to more recently, once a week trips to the mountains. They are rugged, dependable trucks, you will not be disappointed.

Bob_in az 02-24-2023 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timmahh (Post 6132877)
Have a bit of Treal on it now.
You'll need to do a little work to the pan hard setup unless they have changed that. there is a bit of axle shift as the pan hard cycles, and there is some bump steer but that isn't too hard to pretty much eliminate with a little work and some parts.

The steering & axles on the gen 9 have been redesigned & bump steer isn't an issue anymore. It turns pretty sharp too. They finally got it right. It's a great trail truck.

oldblue2010 02-28-2023 03:03 PM

Thanks for the input- Tax time is here and if I rec a return (fingers crossed) I for sure will do this Thanks again.

godwnlo 03-23-2023 08:29 AM

I was very pleased to see the gen9 with the scout body and it is good to hear that the gen9 is looking to be a decent rig. I learned to drive is a 67 scout 800 with a 4cyl and 3spd

MaxxRPM 01-31-2024 09:40 AM

Definitely worth buying......I bought one when they came out and really enjoy it. I put the light kit on it and looks cool (it has dash lights...lol).