Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Redcat RS10 revisited

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2009, 06:15 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Redcat RS10 revisited

Most of the threads regarding these rigs have died out recently and haven't been updated. I've seen a few posts by new members asking about them so instead of posting in those and seeing back and forth opinions between RS10's, axials, and losi's, I decided to make this post so hopefully other RS10 owners can show their rigs in their current forms in hopes that new members can see the potential with them. It could also be a place that can show potential replacement parts and aftermarket parts that will fit them.

With that said, here's mine. Mods are as follows:
-HB rover tires in white compound with proline memory foam
-removed the "wings" from each axle and 4-linked the upper links
-cobalt 13 turn motors front and rear with 10t pinions
-hitec 645mg servo up front with aluminum horn
-locked out rear steer
-stripped the bronze color from the stock beadlocks and added weight to each wheel
-blue aluminum lower links with holes drilled and tapped for shocks to mount to (purchased from ebay)
-homemade delrin upper links
-homemade delrin chassis/skid plate
-traxxas tq3 radio/receiver combo
-axial xc-1 body
-wiring mod mentioned in some of the RS10 posts
-stock RS10 shocks set up in full droop with 100wt oil and stiff springs

So far I'm really happy with this setup...it crawls really well. I've only ran the droop twice so far, so I'm still trying to find the ideal setup for me. The chassis is a work in progress also. This is the first version of it and I went for a simple, but effective look for it. I'm planning on running it for a while, finding out what I like and don't like about it, then making changes on revision 2. The bottom of the skid sits at 2.5" in droop and since I have stiff springs I don't have a lot of flex, barely a soda can worth. Next step is slightly less stiff springs to see how those do. I tried springs from clicker pens the first time I ran droop with this setup and had way too much flex. Here are a few pics (taken with crappy phone camera). The velcro strap in the first pic is where my battery goes. I incorporated a "cradle" of sorts into my chassis for the battery to sit in. Enjoy.

jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2009, 01:14 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsowens View Post
With that said, here's mine. Mods are as follows:
-cobalt 13 turn motors front and rear with 10t pinions
-
where did you get your motors? Have you had any trouble stripping the plastic gears in the axle

I just ordered some banebots 390s to go on my rs10
newtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 01:29 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I got my motors from cermark.com, but they don't have them listed on the website anymore. I'm not sure if they're still available or not. Definitely post up when you get the banebots. As far as the gears are concerned, mine are still going strong even with the cobalts. I've had no problems with anything in the axles yet.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:30 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Are those 540 sized motors? My brother in law just picked up two of these for his two sons and this post will make him very happy. It looks 10x better than it does in stock form. Did you ever think of picking up some sort of used chassis I.E. axial side plates, mayhem ls2, black widow MFM, etc, etc. The prices arent that bad for these. Or, you could call Venom racing (makers of the Creeper) and pick up two side plates for 8.99 and make you own skid. I think thats what im gonna tell my bro to do.
ser3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:34 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Looks good - I wish the Colbalts were back in stock - keep up the updated posts.
austexjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:08 AM   #6
RCC Addict

ser3100, they're 400 motors and are the same size as the stock RS10 motors. There's been a post about running 540 size motors in these rigs before, apparantly the stock gears don't last too long with them. I'd suggest shopping around for a 380 motor...maybe try banebots or something similar. I never really considered picking up an existing aftermarket chassis for this thing because I'm a fan of building things on my own. Maybe in the future if I can't get my delrin chassis to turn out how I want it, I'll pick up a nice existing chassis.

austexjg, how is yours holding up?
Old 10-10-2009, 09:54 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Everything is okay - after I replaced the stock servos - I run it daily in the backyard, with no problems. I have been thinking about a new chassis, but can't decide which one to try?
Old 10-10-2009, 12:31 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Looking good I see you got the the cobalts working. Were you using that chassis when I was up there? We all need to get together and hit the dam spot again soon.
awd199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 12:40 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Nah, I wasn't running this chassis when we all crawled at the dam. I've ran it about 3-4 times total and so far it's working out really well. We definitely need to plan another get together at the dam. Anytime you wanna come up, definitely let me or Adam know.

austexjg, if you're into making parts, I would suggest picking up some delrin and making a chassis. It works out a bit cheaper than buying a pre-made chassis, but I doubt you could go wrong with any of the MOA chassis that are available.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:56 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Your rig did really well then. I guess it is even more capable now. I have plans for tomorrow but they are not 100%. If they fall through would you all want to hit the dam tomorrow? I won't know till later this evening.
awd199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:48 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Can you run a 3s lipo to the stock esc/motors?
bl8zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:09 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Not sure, to be honest. I'm no longer running the stock motors for one thing, and as of right now I'm running a 3300mah nimh battery. I would suggest e-mailing redcat about their stock esc with lipos or check the other rs10 topics and PM some of those guys to see if they're running them yet.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:16 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

I just mounted up my BaneBots 390 last night hopfuly I will have pics and a test this weekend.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:29 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

How did the banebots fit? How did they compare the stock?
Old 10-16-2009, 09:09 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by austexjg View Post
How did the banebots fit? How did they compare the stock?
They are a little longer then the stock motors. I had to move the lower link on one side of the axle out alittle bit and it is stil pretty close. They bolted right up to the axle with no problems what so ever.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:49 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

I just wired mine up as stated in other threads (connecting motor yellows together to yellows on motor..same w/ blue) and put a bec in to run a 2 cell lipo. Now it wont start from a stop smoothly..it jerks so I keep applying throttle then it will stop and just take off. Doesnt do this with the stock battery. Does anyone else run the stock electronics with a 2 cell lipo? Could it be the stock esc cant run voltage that high? I have read somewhere someone running a 3 cell lipo on stock esc.

Last edited by bl8zn; 10-17-2009 at 11:51 AM.
bl8zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 04:34 PM   #17

i checked out cermark and they only got dragonfly motor now, just one motor. the banebots 390s. i'm thinking about getting them. are they the RS-390- 12v?

Last edited by BoroKid; 10-17-2009 at 04:44 PM.
BoroKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:29 AM   #18
RCC Addict

newtoy, did you have a chance to run your crawler with the banebots yet?

bl8zn, I'm not sure about running lipo with the stock electronics...check some of the older rs10 posts and see if there are any posts about lipo. You could also try e-mailing redcat to see if they have any info.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:20 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsowens View Post
newtoy, did you have a chance to run your crawler with the banebots yet?

bl8zn, I'm not sure about running lipo with the stock electronics...check some of the older rs10 posts and see if there are any posts about lipo. You could also try e-mailing redcat to see if they have any info.
I did get them installed and gave them a little test on the floor, but i am having motor problems 1 motor has good power and speed but the other has no power or torqu at all. After pulling the motors out of the axles and testing them I think that it is the motor2 has a problem. so if anyone has any ideas of what to try next i am all Ears. I was going to post up in the electronics section as well to see if some one else might know something.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:02 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Well here is my RS10. Its my first crawler, and I took it to a local comp and failed horribly. I've never crawled before and I couldnt use rear steer. But I plan on locking out the rear steer, and I wanna add a dig much like this one My Dig Switch Box! I wanna know how to add a switch on my remote to run the dig unit. I would like it to take place of the rear steer servo. But heres a picture of mine I also have a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6UWgfaSivk
major94 is offline   Reply With Quote