Notices

Thread: 3S Lipo on Stock RS10 ESC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2014, 02:16 PM   #21
Rock Crawler

Default Re: 3S Lipo on Stock RS10 ESC

Quote:
Originally Posted by infodragon View Post
Remember to disconnect the fan from the ESC and run it from the BEC! Do not use the internal BEC in any way! Heat is the ESC killer especially when you are running it over specs.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, the ESC shuts the motors off when you go over the High Voltage Cutoff. You have to disable the HVC before you can use 3S. Follow the ESC instructions

http://www.redcatracing.com/manuals/E401.pdf
Quote:
Originally Posted by matholland618 View Post
When I tried a 3S in mine, it would only steer...Nothing else would work...Never smoked the ESC, but it never did anything either....My neighbor still has it and runs just fine.
Maybe you should try disabling the high voltage cut off as suggested above Worth a try I guess.
MountainStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2014, 01:37 PM   #22

I have been running 3s for a while but be warned that the stock esc does not handle LIPOS well at all UNTIL you add a stand alone bec then the 3s or 2s is not a problem - i think the issue is the bec in the oem esc cannot output enough amps when you bind a wheel up crawling
Flyguy0101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 04:53 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoCrawler View Post
Ya I am trying 3S also and so far so good. It seems to be an easy way to get the power the RS10 so badly needs. I also switched to the 8T pinion. Now it's very respectable. ESC is working fine.
What mAh is that 3s? What brand?
T-REXX68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 06:01 PM   #24
RCC Addict

the issue is not how much current the battery can give you but how much current you are trying to draw.
any battery will give you enough current to burn up the cheap bec built into the redcat esc.

on another related note .... as you increase the voltage to the servo the less current you draw.
simple ohms law - VI has to equal VI so if the V is higher the I will be lower. and this, boys and girls, is why becs
are so often suggested. you increase the voltage to the servo and it will draw less current to get the same amount
of work (or power as the case might be).

same reason why Europe has 220, they can use smaller wires. haha

Last edited by cabron; 08-24-2015 at 06:04 PM.
cabron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 03:47 PM   #25
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by infodragon View Post
Remember to disconnect the fan from the ESC and run it from the BEC! Do not use the internal BEC in any way! Heat is the ESC killer especially when you are running it over specs.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, the ESC shuts the motors off when you go over the High Voltage Cutoff. You have to disable the HVC before you can use 3S. Follow the ESC instructions

http://www.redcatracing.com/manuals/E401.pdf
I've been trying my damnedest to disable the high voltage cutoff using the above instructions, but for the life of me, I can't seem to make it happen! It might just be my giant hands, but I think I'm missing something? I can't seem to get the led to consistently flash through the sequence that is listed in the instructions. Even when I get it into "protection programming" mode (which takes at least 1/2 a dozen attempts, doing it EXACTLY the same each time), I haven't been able to get passed "overheating protection" before it automatically exits programming mode.

It's been running fine on 2s for months (and still works fine on 2s) and I'd really like to use my 3s (that was bought specifically for this car so I don't have to keep robbing the 2s from my Wraith) any pointers? Does anyone here have (or care to make) a youtube video or the like showing the correct light sequence?

Thanks in advance!
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 04:18 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
I've been trying my damnedest to disable the high voltage cutoff using the above instructions, but for the life of me, I can't seem to make it happen! It might just be my giant hands, but I think I'm missing something? I can't seem to get the led to consistently flash through the sequence that is listed in the instructions. Even when I get it into "protection programming" mode (which takes at least 1/2 a dozen attempts, doing it EXACTLY the same each time), I haven't been able to get passed "overheating protection" before it automatically exits programming mode.

It's been running fine on 2s for months (and still works fine on 2s) and I'd really like to use my 3s (that was bought specifically for this car so I don't have to keep robbing the 2s from my Wraith) any pointers? Does anyone here have (or care to make) a youtube video or the like showing the correct light sequence?

Thanks in advance!
myself and several local guys have wasted hours trying to turn off high voltage cut off had same problem you are i'll never waste another second trying. buy a cheaper dual motor esc i think we used hobbywing . 3 s is awsome on rs10, motors get hot but take it and like it lol
jamesthe1v is offline   Reply With Quote