Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: my RS10 Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2010, 04:55 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default my RS10 Build

Hello everyone!. I just recently purchased a RS10 from Ramtech. I know the RS10 is a great entry level rig and performs pretty well right out the box . But I wanted to see what this thing would do if I threw some money and quality parts at it. See if it can compete on a comp level. I always hear people saying that it's not comp worthy. I have two ax10's that my son and i compete with at our local comps. They were not comp wothy either out the box. Our AX10 have alot of time and about 700.00 each into them,and they do fairly well at the comps for shafty's. In Phoenix the comps are not very shafty freindly. Most evryone runs MOA. So i figured it would be fun to try and build and RS10. After all it is an MOA. This is my first MOA build.
Here's my build

Custom CNC aluminum Chassis ( Same as the one we run on our AX10's)
35t integy motors
Hyperion 1300 mah 3S lipo
12T pinions
CC Sidewinder
CC BEC
Hitech 7955
Futaba 3pm-mx
Rover's, Leopards and Grabbers
3/8" delrin lower links with Revo ends
1/4" alum. uppers links Revo ends
VP hi steer nuckles
Axial outer stubs with dog bone mod
Big bore shocks
Losi springs
Axail wheels in front with 4 oz in each
Epic wheels in rear no weight
Rs10 steering for now bent to fit.
Delrin skid

Front of rig measures 10.5" tire edge to tire edge rear 9 7/8". Skid clearance is 3 3/8 frt and 3 5/8" at rear

Future mods:
Punk dig
Rear lock outs
More axle housing bracing
Better steering linkage

So far I am very impressed with the rig. It will do everything that our ax10 will do and then some. Even with out a dig and rear steer locked. I'm really liking the Clod stall! What an andvatage that is over shaft driven rigs . Let me know what you think!

Here's some pic's of the build along with my sons AX10. Sorry for crappy quality cell phone pic's

Jake
Attached Images

Last edited by jr104; 05-19-2010 at 05:32 AM.
jr104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2010, 05:33 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Nice lookin rig brotha. Hope it works well.
major94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:20 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Pretty sweet rig you have there. I'm anxious to hear how it does at your comps. I always like seeing more bodiless chassis come around.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:43 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Default rs10 mod

great looking rig welcome to the 10 club. how does your son like the new rig
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:17 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

that thing is nice welcome to the under dogs lol... im actually kinda curious as to what exactly you did with the dog-bone mod i know axial cvd's fit on them but what else did you change in that? that is going to be one of the next things i change after i get my bent links.
talon0713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 03:55 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Default dog bone

im also curious about the bones also how are the gears holding up with those motors
Old 05-19-2010, 04:32 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsowens View Post
Pretty sweet rig you have there. I'm anxious to hear how it does at your comps. I always like seeing more bodiless chassis come around.
i'm expecting it to do well. Like I said our comps aren't really shafty freindly. So it probably can't do much worse.The guys around here are like Pro's and take it very seriuosly. We are stickly in it for fun and really could care less about points . I'd just like to finish a coarse finally

Quote:
Originally Posted by talon0713 View Post
that thing is nice welcome to the under dogs lol... im actually kinda curious as to what exactly you did with the dog-bone mod i know axial cvd's fit on them but what else did you change in that? that is going to be one of the next things i change after i get my bent links.
You machine down the dog bone to get more steering. I think I took off like .040" just so the pin barely stays seated at full turn .It's a cheap and in my opinion a stronger alternative then CVD's.My son and I have 6 months on our stock DB's. No breakage ths far. There is a write up somewhere on here that explains it. The easiest way is with a lathe. This is how i did it, but you do it with a counter sink I beleive. i'll post some pic's below .

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlhog View Post
im also curious about the bones also how are the gears holding up with those motors
I really love the 35t. I set the gear mesh up tight like i herd others do. I did break both locker pins but replaced with 1.1 DS needle bearings. So far so good. The 35t are probably a bit to much. 45T's would be much better. I only used 35t cause I happened to have two laying around. I did however turn down my Thr EPA's and EXPO a bit on the radio to limit power. It has plenty of wheel speed and great torque. A little more than our AX10 with 35t 3S.

I ran the stock 380's on 3S for one battery pack and I quickly realized how under powered these things really are. Not bad on the flat with 3s but any climbing and the thing wouldn't go anywhere. Clod stall was horrible. With the 35's clod stall is great it stalls out while looking for traction but a little blip of the trottle and a way it goes!

Jake

OOPs forgot the pic's
Attached Images

Last edited by jr104; 05-19-2010 at 05:10 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:45 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
great looking rig welcome to the 10 club. how does your son like the new rig
Everyone, thanks for all the nice comments

My son actually doesn't like it too much. . He finds it harder to drive . Moa's take a little getting used . That's for sure . Jake

Last edited by jr104; 05-19-2010 at 04:55 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:28 PM   #9

clod stall can be a pain for sure, the RS10 is my first crawler so I don't have anything to compare it to but the torque twist from a shafty looks like a hurdle to get over. Just wait until we get some metal gears for them, make a much more reliable drive gear.
seven_gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:49 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I think Clod stall can be an asset, torque twist not so much. With TT the only thing you can do is minumize it. It will always be there.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:15 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

here's a link on modding the dog bones

CVD Fix ? Check it out!

Jake
Old 05-20-2010, 04:26 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Today I made a new steering servo mount out of delrin. I added 2 additional mounting holes for added strength. It really stiffened up that side of the axle. No more flex . Next I plan on gusseting/truss the other side of the axle ,and hopefully get rid of all axle flex .

Jake
Attached Images

Last edited by jr104; 05-20-2010 at 04:32 AM.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:07 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Nice job on the servo mount. We might have to incorporate the axle supports into ours that we hope to be selling here soon.
ZNO-RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 03:38 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZNO-RC View Post
Nice job on the servo mount. We might have to incorporate the axle supports into ours that we hope to be selling here soon.
Thanx. It is very strong this way. No movement at all on that side with my 7955 (333oz) servo. Now I gotta figure something out for the other side. .

Jake
Old 05-20-2010, 04:47 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Default dog bone

thaks for the tips jake gonna start on mine tonight, with the extra steering how much do the tires rub
Old 05-20-2010, 06:51 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

So i figured out a way too tie in the passenger side axle tube to the main housing. I would make a truss that bolts to the top of the housing and to the axle tube via 4 bolts.

Here's how I did it . I drawed the mount out on paper. Then I transfered it to 1/8" aluminum sheet. Then I bent it to a 90* angle. Then drilled a 4 holes and made 2 8MM long spacers . I used 3x30mm blts and nylock nuts to mount everything. That's it! A simple. light weight truss. Took about an hour to make.

Now the axle housing is virtually bullet proof. No more flex at all!! The only other area I am worried about now is the axle C's. I'm afraid now that the axle is so strong the force will travel to the next weak point down the line. Which I think is the C's. i'm afraid I will rip an ear off. Will just have to wait and see.

I am thinking of some way of fitting a AX10 aluminum C on the end of the tube.

Jake
Attached Images

Old 05-20-2010, 07:07 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
thaks for the tips jake gonna start on mine tonight, with the extra steering how much do the tires rub
My steering barely rubs. I am running Axial offset wheels. I think they barely stick out a little more.

I'm glad I could help. I'm really having fun with this RS10 stuff. i want to help others and hopefully be apart of taking these things to the next level. Then hopefully we will get the aftermarkets attention and support.

I have seen it before in 90's with import drag racing. It took people inovating and making there own parts, till finally aftermarket jumped on the band wagon. They will, when they realize there is money to be made. It will happen.

Jake

Last edited by jr104; 05-20-2010 at 07:16 PM.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:06 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr104 View Post
So I am thinking of some way of fitting a AX10 aluminum C on the end of the tube.

Jake

I have been playing with this same idea. fitting the Cs on there would allow us to clock the axle. giving more room for larger motors. which I really need with my narrow chassis setup
FSJCRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:29 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSJCRAWLER View Post
I have been playing with this same idea. fitting the Cs on there would allow us to clock the axle. giving more room for larger motors. which I really need with my narrow chassis setup
Clocking the axles would be nice

Maybe i'll try an talk the wife into letting buy a mill
Old 05-21-2010, 02:48 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

So I killed a set gears in the front axle. Well actually just the gear that rides on the motor pinion. My rear servo just stopped working. So I was messing with it. I unplugged it then, plugged it back in . Then all of sudden the car goes full throttle on my lap. So I grabbed the tire real quick so it doesn't run into the wall and the gear stripped . Oh well

Jake