Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: problem with rs10 esc or tx/rx?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2010, 09:00 PM   #1

Unhappy problem with rs10 esc or tx/rx?

hey guys, im new to the forum + crawling, and pretty new to electric rigs. ive been poking around the forum trying to see if anyone else has had this problem but my search lead me nowhere.

the rig is brand new, just got it a few hours ago, so i charged up the battery and took her for a test run in the house. everything was going great, and was really happy with everything until she started glitching like crazy. both servos are twitching like crazy, and is barely getting any juice to the motors.

ive tried fiddling with trim settings on the radio but to no avail. any ideas as to what my issue could be? it kind of has me stumped at the moment

thanks in advance
fast_eddie
fast_eddie_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2010, 09:03 PM   #2
RCC Addict

My first guess would be a low battery...which can happen with that stock setup since the charger has no indicator of whether the battery is fully charged or not. If it was on a fresh battery, I would ask how far you were away from the crawler when it glitched and if it fixed itself when you moved closer. Check the battery and distance, if neither are the problem then check all of your wire connections on the rx, esc, motors, etc... and make sure that's not the issue. Also check your rx antenna...make sure there are no cuts or damaged places in the antenna. Let us know what you find.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:05 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

did you charge the battery with the stock charger? if so how long? mine does that once in awhile too. i have since upgraded the esc though.
ctracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:25 PM   #4

thanks for the quick response jsowens & ctracy,

just tried a freshly charged battery on a charger with an indicator (mrc 820), nothing fancy just a peak charger with auto trickle and an indicator light for full charge.

servos now seem to be considerably less glitchy, still a little bit but i probably need to go back and try and reset the trim settings. but still have nothing as far as throttle.

i was literally less than five feet away from it the entire time. also doubled through all the wire connections as well which all seemed to be just fine. the rx antenna also appears to be unscaved.

Last edited by fast_eddie_86; 09-08-2010 at 09:28 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:39 PM   #5

also, stupid move on my part i totally forgot to write it down before i started messing with the throttle trim settings, any ideas as to where about it should be set to?
Old 09-08-2010, 10:01 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_eddie_86 View Post
also, stupid move on my part i totally forgot to write it down before i started messing with the throttle trim settings, any ideas as to where about it should be set to?
I simply set the throttle forward until the truck starts to roll forward then back off just until it stops. You can then find tune to your taste.
GreMonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:32 PM   #7

just spend the last half hour or so fooling around with the trim, and this is the end result of what i found:

steering is now working fine now. however there is still no response to the throttle on the Tx, however if i adjust the throttle trim to about 50% in either direction the truck moves fine in both directions, but its strictly controlled by the trim setting, the trigger has no affect what so ever.

also every one in a while all the electronics would start to glitch, both servos and both motors. keep in mind this was over the course of about a half hour.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:40 PM   #8

I'm not very experienced but when my truck wouldn't move when i throttled it i took one of the axles apart and saw that the spur gear rod pin was snapped in 3 pieces,same with the other one.. if that's the case you can make a new one by cutting a nail that is about the same size and filing down the edges so they are smooth.. works great.
JoeDirte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 12:24 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Sounds like tx problem. When I got mine I pulled the antenna out and it came all the way out(apart). Make sure the antenna is tight, if all looks well, get in touch with Redcat. They have been really good to me as far as warranty work. Fairly quick too. Ultimately you'll end up upgrading your radio when you get sick of the 10 foot range and no dig switch. I just switched over to a traxxas tq4 2.4ghz ho and am glitch free with a channel to spare.
dudegetabike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:58 AM   #10
RCC Addict

If your steering works, unplug the front servo and ESC from the receiver and reverse which channel slots they're installed in. You can then test your throttle using the steering wheel and your front steering with the throttle.

That will help determine if you have a receiver, ESC, or transmitter issue. Do all of this with a fully charged battery though, as you'll get all kinds of glitching if you don't like others have said.
CPE MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPE MT View Post
If your steering works, unplug the front servo and ESC from the receiver and reverse which channel slots they're installed in. You can then test your throttle using the steering wheel and your front steering with the throttle.

That will help determine if you have a receiver, ESC, or transmitter issue. Do all of this with a fully charged battery though, as you'll get all kinds of glitching if you don't like others have said.
cant believe i forgot to do that last night. oh well... either way, i flipped channel 1 (steering) and channel 2 (ESC) on the Rx and at least its not the ESC, but still had nothing on channel 2.

i just sent an email to redcat, just waiting on a reply now.

thanks for all the help/ ideas, i cna tell this is going to be a very helpful and useful forum
Old 09-09-2010, 07:00 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

for a cheap rig and by cheap I mean inexpensive the rs10 has a descent following. I would have to say the best part about it are the axles when steel gears are installed in them and the 540 mod is done to it. i like how the axles angle down from the gearbox giving a little more clearance. other than that everything else is entry level at best but still good. you must be having an issue with the tx/rx. dont let it worry you. redcat will take care of it you will just have to wait. I just bought a bec from castle creations and it was bad right off the shelf. stuff happens. wish you luck and when you get it going post up some pics with the mods you are planning on doing. I am looking for a clear stock body and paint it like underdog. cuz that what I think this truck is. LOL

some good videos to watch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMFV3...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLK9F...eature=related

Last edited by ctracy; 09-09-2010 at 07:39 PM.
ctracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:30 PM   #13

yeah is what it is, i already have a claim set up with them and from all that ive heard it shouldnt be a problem for them to make it right. and from the little i got to run it before the radio got all funky, youre definitely right this truck is way underrated. after i get her all back to working ill start a build post after i figure out what my plans for her will be.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:35 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

My rs10 will crawl circles around my buddies clod super! They cheaped out on a few things but it's all the stuff you'll end up replacing anyways, even if you had spent double the amount on a name brand rig. Good luck!
dudegetabike is offline   Reply With Quote