Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: RS10 broke after 2 days and 2 charges

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2010, 05:52 PM   #1

Default RS10 broke after 2 days and 2 charges

Hello Guy's just joined, my first post Dad helped me get registered, never been a memeber on any kind of website before.
I just got a new RS10 for christmass, not only have I stripped the front servo (major clicking sound) but broke the link arm (not sure what it is called) running from the servo to the steering rod. Sounds like the back servo is going too. So looks like I need a new linkage rod and possibly 2 aftermarket servo's. Guess I will search this site but if anyone has any great suggestions please send them my way need all the help I can get.

thanks and happy holidays
DJboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2010, 06:48 PM   #2
RCC Addict

If you want to purchase a couple of our upgraded metal gear servos, I'll throw in the short steering link at no charge.

The servos are a common issue, but I haven't seen too many issues with the steering rods. Thanks!
CPE MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:08 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Did you break the steering link itself...or the plastic rod ends at each end? If it's just the rod end, those are easily found at a hobby shop.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:59 PM   #4

one of my RS-10's broke the plastic servo arm when my son ran it into a tree. and both servo's stripeed out. Order the servos from CPE above. great customer service and a good product
shiftless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:08 PM   #5

Hello,
thanks for the reply I will attach a picture of what is broke the owners manual say's it is part number RCT-P007. I may get back to you CPE MT I will need to look into costs & shipping from back east USA to Canda on the west coast. What Servo's are you suggesting I replace the stock one's with ?

Old 12-28-2010, 08:17 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

i replaced mine with a hitech 645mg works great and not too expensive..
redneckjiujitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckjiujitsu View Post
i replaced mine with a hitech 645mg works great and not too expensive..

thanks i will look into the 645mg
Old 12-28-2010, 08:26 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Ah, you broke the servo horn, not the steering link. We have a hi-torque metal gear servo (CPE-SER4) on our website. Our standard shipping would apply to CA for these items. We also have a servo horn here we can send you at no charge. Thanks!
CPE MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:46 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

sounds like you should order from cpe.....you dont hear of people throwing in free parts..hats off to u Brett
Old 12-28-2010, 08:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPE MT View Post
Ah, you broke the servo horn, not the steering link. We have a hi-torque metal gear servo (CPE-SER4) on our website. Our standard shipping would apply to CA for these items. We also have a servo horn here we can send you at no charge. Thanks!

Thanks CPE,
Does that servo just bolt back in to my unit without any other mods ? While I am at it, can you think of any other obvious up-grades I will want to do that will liley brake sooner than later ??
Old 12-28-2010, 09:15 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

ya just bolts right in to stock location. I had to drill out the horn (little arm that comes off of servo and connects to steering link) to fit screw and put a nut on backside..no biggie...prob couldnt go wrong with an 8t pinion for the rear its only $5.

Last edited by redneckjiujitsu; 12-28-2010 at 09:18 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:39 PM   #12

ok thanks
Old 12-28-2010, 11:10 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Same bs happened to me on the second charge. I ordered a Hitech 645 for the front. Make sure you call Redcat and get your two free stock servos from warranty. I will run the 645 on the front because i don't use rear steer constantly and just use the stock replacemnts for the rear, one right away and have one spare. Later down the road i will get another 645 if this one holds up.
It usually runs fine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by It usually runs fine View Post
Same bs happened to me on the second charge. I ordered a Hitech 645 for the front. Make sure you call Redcat and get your two free stock servos from warranty. I will run the 645 on the front because i don't use rear steer constantly and just use the stock replacemnts for the rear, one right away and have one spare. Later down the road i will get another 645 if this one holds up.
Thanks,
Is that normal for Redcat to replace the servo's on warranty ? (not that they are worth putting in), I basically drove it on laminate floor and a very smooth thin rug hard to beleive they could sell somthing that broke so easy. Definitly ruined my day today wanted to show my freinds my new toy and it was junk.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:38 AM   #15
RCC Addict

I personally wouldn't waste my time trying to have those stock servos warrantied. A decent enough servo will run you about 20 bucks plus shipping, then you could pop on an aluminum servo horn which are a few bucks at a hobby shop and have a drastic improvement.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 02:26 PM   #16

Smile

ok
Old 12-29-2010, 03:45 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

You'll find that carpet provides a tremendous amount of traction and it's parts are more easily broken on carpet than nearly any other surface. That said, stock servos on most any rig are usually pretty cheaply built and likely to break easily.

It's definately worth upgrading to a better servo and if you continue to have problems with the servo arms, they make stronger, aluminum pieces that will take a significant amount of abuse.

Welcome to the hobby. Don't let a few broken parts sway you. It happens to all of us, no matter how much money we spend.
EvilTwin v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:33 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

hey DJBoy were on the west coast r u?? like everyone else said get either the hitech or the mayhem high torque from CPE i personally use the hitech645mg and am lovin it hasnt failed me yet even in water and snow its been great.
RTVIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:44 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTVIC View Post
hey DJBoy were on the west coast r u?? like everyone else said get either the hitech or the mayhem high torque from CPE i personally use the hitech645mg and am lovin it hasnt failed me yet even in water and snow its been great.
I live in the lowermainland Maple Ridge.

thanks for all the replies guy's.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:32 AM   #20

I don't mean to hijack this thread but was wondering if the mayhems from CPE require a BEC if you replace both the front and the rear.

Thanks!
MarkM is offline   Reply With Quote