Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Rs10 plastic Spur gear seal set upgrade?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2011, 10:45 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Rs10 plastic Spur gear seal set upgrade?

So the metal diff sets don't include the spur gear seal set so I was stuck with plastic, I knew it wouldn't last and I finally blew it out today...... Damn cobalts hehehe! Here's my question I can't find a metal upgrade or even a plastic replacement unless I buy a plastic diff set, I only need the gear seal so $13 seems unreasonable especially before shipping, does anyone have an idea for an upgrade or even a plastic replacement without having to buy the whole set??????? I know someone else has had this problem with all these modified rs10's out there, help me out anyone pls.......... Thanks y'all

Last edited by Macmanthizz; 03-16-2011 at 10:14 PM.
Macmanthizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2011, 06:58 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

zno-rc.com has all steel sets
tyrod_emmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:40 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Nah, to my knowledge nobody makes a steel spur assembly yet, just the steel gears themselves. I don't think you can buy the individual pieces of the assembly, so you might just have to buy the whole spur assembly, and keep the other parts for spares. Those motors can mess stuff up if you're not careful...I don't suggest throttling heavily if you're in a big bind.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:44 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Thanks Owens that's what I was planning just needed to make sure nobody knew somethin I didn't, I have front n rear steel diff sets I can't believe they don't have a metal piece for the gear seal o wasn't to heavy on the throttle it was just worn from previous pin breakage thanks for the help guys much appreciated!
Old 03-15-2011, 11:25 AM   #5

im a machinist by trade that would be pretty easy to make, when i go steel gears, ill just make one. Ive broke the pin and replace it with a hardened one and it torn the plastic up
djtoyota88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:16 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macmanthizz View Post
Thanks Owens that's what I was planning just needed to make sure nobody knew somethin I didn't, I have front n rear steel diff sets I can't believe they don't have a metal piece for the gear seal o wasn't to heavy on the throttle it was just worn from previous pin breakage thanks for the help guys much appreciated!
I gotcha. I'm surprised the spur assembly hasn't been made from metal at this point also, since metal gears are offered, but we'll take what we can get. If you haven't already, check out the hardened pins that ZNO offers for the spur assembly, I just installed a set in mine and I don't forsee having any issues with them breaking.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:15 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

@DJToyota88
When you'll make a steel spur gear seel let us know, I'm sur that some guys here would be ready to spend some money on somathing like that...
At least I am (if the price is not to high...)
Big Pitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:12 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

This part is already in the works for one of the next parts we will be offering. We already have the material to make them and it is already drawn we just need to program it into the CNC. It will be a simple part to make and hopefully it wont end up being to much after production. I'll keep everyone updated though.
ZNO-RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:02 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZNO-RC View Post
This part is already in the works for one of the next parts we will be offering. We already have the material to make them and it is already drawn we just need to program it into the CNC. It will be a simple part to make and hopefully it wont end up being to much after production. I'll keep everyone updated though.
Very nice! I'm looking forward to that one.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:19 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Nice me to I'll take em whenever someone has em, ya thanks for the pin info I actually got a couple at ace hardware over a year ago the was a little to fat so I shaved em down n haven't had a problem since, I just spun out the inside of that seal piece it was worn inside though didn't surprise me........ Thanks for the help guys!!!!!!
Old 04-28-2011, 03:15 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Hello to all,
So what news about the steel spur gear seel??
Anny progress
Old 04-28-2011, 04:39 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

This is the most needed part as far as I am concerned, I have already bought way to many spur gear assemblies for just needing the one part. Please someone, lets get this part made! If I could make one myself, I would have long ago, it is literally the only weak point on my rig and it drives me crazy!
RICrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:19 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Next time you have it apart, try drowning the cavity with loctite (red is best) and put it back together. Don't drive it for a day, let that loctit dry. I've never had to replace mine, but i did blow two sets of plastic gears.
dudegetabike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 02:46 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Yeah, I usually use jb weld to fill the void and let it dry overnight, but it is not a permanent solution especially running HH 454s. I would like to be more confident that I'm not going to break in the middle of a comp, an aluminum part would be a better solution.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:55 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudegetabike View Post
Next time you have it apart, try drowning the cavity with loctite (red is best) and put it back together. Don't drive it for a day, let that loctit dry. I've never had to replace mine, but i did blow two sets of plastic gears.
x2 on that one,got my gears meshed right, drown the pins in jb weld,im running all stock gearing with 55t 540's and a faster pinion for allmost a year and I bind it ,I've debeaded many a tire lol
Dabandit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 03:49 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

So at the comp yesterday, I tore up the front spur gear pin housing on the first course and had to take an off course repair, and lucky me tore up the rear on the second course and got to repair again before the third. Luckily, there is a machinist comping with us and he offered to whip me up a batch of aluminum parts. Shouldn't have to worry about this problem again soon! Wonder what will start breaking next...
Old 05-01-2011, 04:16 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

@ RICrawler:
Maybe, if the pieces that that guy will make are good, you could ask him to make some more for other RS1 users...

Let us know.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:35 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Hey guys that machinist is me, and im in the process of making them now. Sorry I couldn't have em for the comp tomorrow Bob, I'll have them done most likely in a few days.
I just tossed up a thread asking if other people will be interested in this part. lemme know guys because set up is the time suck in making these, so it'll be cheaper for me to make them in batches than one at a time.
"N8" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 12:28 AM   #19
Rock Stacker

Fa sho, that sounds real good I actually made sum from nylon washers and the existing reamed piece that keeps failing. I have cobalt 454's been mess in around on some rocks in front of my house on 3s lipo for the past month or so, opened my housings up on front and rear Axles and I have no wear at all from the pin! So we'll see how it go from here it seems to be working fine! I have a couple things to put up in the tips and tricks I just can't add pics at the moment I have a bomb ass rear steer lockout using compression fittings..... And lady's I have tried most the methods and not to shame them but most of them suck I'll post youz up as soon as possible on my whole truck in detail, the lockout, plus the nylon method on the spur gear! But if he has some machining going for the time being get them while you can because that's the best choice by far! Good job on your maching for folks who need it, this is a very needed part and you are saving some major pains!
Old 06-05-2011, 03:54 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Once again I pull this thread back to the top to know if some news would come from the ZNO factory guys...??

As seen again recently in the RS10 section this would be a really appreciated hop-up piece of hardware.

So is there some fresh news about that