Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: RS 10 XT motors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2011, 09:15 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default RS 10 XT motors

Are the stock motors good? What are good replacement motors with minimal to no mods, ( I have mine and my sons, after Christmas) Does the truck move when your off throttle on an incline (I don't know what it's called)?
HoupS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2011, 09:45 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: RS 10 XT motors

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoupS View Post
Are the stock motors good? What are good replacement motors with minimal to no mods, ( I have mine and my sons, after Christmas) Does the truck move when your off throttle on an incline (I don't know what it's called)?
It's called a drag break. The stock truck does have one. I'm looking into upgrading the motors in my truck too. I thought I'd made up my mind to get the Holmes Hobbies 454's. I'm leary though because I sent an email and posted in their vendor sections with questions. Its only been a couple of days yet. If I get the answers I'm looking for I will order them right away. We'll see...

I'm sure someone will post a link to the tips and tricks sticky at the top of the forum. BUT, there's not much info there because people simply haven't tried too many motors, or at least they haven't posted about it. That I can find anyway.

Im wondering about options myself. If you find some more Info, please post it!
BackToThePast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:56 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackToThePast View Post
It's called a drag break. The stock truck does have one. I'm looking into upgrading the motors in my truck too. I thought I'd made up my mind to get the Holmes Hobbies 454's. I'm leary though because I sent an email and posted in their vendor sections with questions. Its only been a couple of days yet. If I get the answers I'm looking for I will order them right away. We'll see...

I'm sure someone will post a link to the tips and tricks sticky at the top of the forum. BUT, there's not much info there because people simply haven't tried too many motors, or at least they haven't posted about it. That I can find anyway.

Im wondering about options myself. If you find some more Info, please post it!
I will definitly post up new info if/when I get it, you do the same, lol!! I've looked in the tips & tricks section and didn't find much info on replacement motors.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:13 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I will definitly post up new info if/when I get it, you do the same, lol!! I've looked in the tips & tricks section and didn't find much info on replacement motors.
From what I've found, the biggest problem is the limited space with the RS. There aren't a lot good of options for motors that just bolt in. You can search for "540 conversion" theres actually a thread with a detailed conversion on here somewhere. Should be easy to find. ZNO sells the cases already modified for this conversion, along with a bunch of orher upgrades. I've ordered almost everything they sell for the RS. Now I just need to find the time to build the truck
Old 12-15-2011, 10:15 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
From what I've found, the biggest problem is the limited space with the RS. There aren't a lot good of options for motors that just bolt in. You can search for "540 conversion" theres actually a thread with a detailed conversion on here somewhere. Should be easy to find. ZNO sells the cases already modified for this conversion, along with a bunch of orher upgrades. I've ordered almost everything they sell for the RS. Now I just need to find the time to build the truck

I was just reading that thread. It looks like you need to mod the upper links to clear the motors, did they fix that or is it the same due to lack of space?
Old 12-15-2011, 10:18 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I don't know. I haven't done it. I don't think anything has changed with the truck though.

Heres the link to the modded ZNO cases though

RS10 Big Boy 540 Preassembled Kit w/ New Gear Case
Old 12-15-2011, 10:22 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

That's why I want to use the Holmes 454. They are in a 400 size case. They are just a little longer than the stock 390's. No need to mod the cases and links and such. Supposedly, they're great motors. Lots of torque AND wheel speed. Just hard to get in touch with them. From what I understand the owner is in school. Very busy. I don't mind waiting for the motors. I just want some answers before I place the order.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:33 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
That's why I want to use the Holmes 454. They are in a 400 size case. They are just a little longer than the stock 390's. No need to mod the cases and links and such. Supposedly, they're great motors. Lots of torque AND wheel speed. Just hard to get in touch with them. From what I understand the owner is in school. Very busy. I don't mind waiting for the motors. I just want some answers before I place the order.

It seems like that's the motor to have. Keep me posted, I'm definitly interested!! Thanks again man!!
Old 12-15-2011, 11:37 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Re stock motors;
They aren't really very good due to the "shape" of the brushes. they only contact the comm in 2 small spots due to their horseshoe shape. If you give them a good break in, you can wear them down to make full contact though. Look closely at the brushes through the vent holes. You will see what I mean.

Re drag break;
The stockers do have a drag break, but if you get on a steep hill and let off the throttle, they do tend to roll a bit. I have heard the cobalt puller in the small size fixed this, I assume the other Holmes hobbies motors should do the same. In my 540 swap, http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/redca...mented%3B.html The new motors lock those wheels up right good! even being a $10 motor.

re Modifying links;
When going with bigger motors, you don't usually NEED to modify the UPPER links, but everyone builds their truck a little different. On mine it just worked better. You DO however need to bend the lower links in some way to clear a bit better.
The Jackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:01 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

The less work the better, I have two crawlers to modify/upgrade. I guess it wouldn't be any worse than setting up two r/c race cars, atleast the crawler set-ups will be the same, for now. Your conversion thread is awesome and has a ton of great info. I need to finish my backyard build, wait for Christmas and test to determine what I need to fix, change, modify etc.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:11 AM   #11

Im guessing with all that torque with the 540 conversion you'll need the steel gear set and also the hardened steel drive pins right? Im thinking about doing this build in the near future and just want to get all the parts needed before I start.
Jahred59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:24 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

I can't make any claims about the plastic gears or drive pins. I never ran her on the stock setup.

When I bought my truck, I ordered with it;
-steel gears
-servos
-tires
-allen key drive pin

Then I installed them all while doing a water break-in on my stock motors. After doing some research, pre-purchase, I highly recommend this as a good base to start your build at.
The Jackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:13 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

The first thing thats gonna break,with the stock motors or 540 motors if you do the conversion gear cases, is gonna be the diff pins,broke mine the first 10minutes after installing hb sedonas, allen keys cut down or zno company has hardened pins. I allways felt the stock motors were fine,but i upgraded to the zno cases with 45t integy motors an integy lower links, my rs isnt even close to resembling the stock rs anymore,the stock rsxt is a very capable crawler box stock, upgrade slowely an enjoy!
crawlernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:40 AM   #14
RCC Addict

i run stock everything, still have the stock pin in the rear. if i do stall, it's a good indicator that I should not be going there. I never stall do to the amount of incline or the height of a obstacle, i stall due to binding. if you power through a bind, you break things, best to just find a new line. even in the 1:1 world this argument is made, more power or drive smarter. personally, I drive smarter, i take time and find lines that work and i spend money on things like links, frames and tires. you hear guys talk about how expensive both variations of this hobby are, well of course it is expensive if you are throwing money at a problem. i say drive it stock, tweak the suspension, pull the foams, score the tires for some extra flex and learn to handle the rig. if you want a rock racer after that, then build a rock racer, but if you are just out to crawl, the stock 390s are great, Redcat did well in going to them. just my 2 cents
Docwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:44 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

I ran it a bit today....I can't beleive how fun this thing is, bone stock. Hell, before I got the steering sorted, I was still trying to drive it and had a blast. After I had some steering, I ran it on part of the course I'm building in the backyard.. I haven't had that much fun since I started racing 1:8 nitro buggies.

I had to wipe the tires off and box it up though, I can't run it until Christmas when my son gets his....C'mon Christmas, lol!!
Old 12-16-2011, 11:06 PM   #16

Hey thanks, I think I'll just wait until either the stock gears, pins or motors go out! Then I'll have a reason to do this build without the GF breathing down my neck!!!
Old 12-17-2011, 02:09 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahred59 View Post
Hey thanks, I think I'll just wait until either the stock gears, pins or motors go out! Then I'll have a reason to do this build without the GF breathing down my neck!!!

I think I will do the same, hopefully both of our rigs won't break down and the same time
Old 12-17-2011, 02:19 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

LOOK what I found
Old 12-17-2011, 02:22 AM   #19

Quote:
LOOK what I found
I like the DIY kit to just save a little money!
Old 12-17-2011, 08:15 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Thinking of ordering these integy 45 turns and just doing the 540 swap.

Integy Matrix Pro Lathe Motor 45T Single #SCM4501*-*Motors and accessories*-*-Electronics*-*The Crawlers Store LLC

Anyone know for sure that these have a 1/8 shaft, and what I need to look for in pinions to mesh with the Redcat steel gears?

OR if these are even the Integy motors people are using in their RS10s? These are A little smaller than the RC4WD motors right.

Sorry to hijack. Just don't see starting another motor thread right below this one!

RS 10 XT motors - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Speed/Torque difference between Crawler motors/Normal motors? dynamic_e Electronics 5 10-08-2010 10:26 AM