Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Aussie RS10 (HBX Rockfighter) Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 02:06 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Talking Aussie RS10 (HBX Rockfighter) Build with cvd mod very soon :mrgreen:

hey guys hope this works

Body lowered and hi-clearance links, at this point i was still running 4ws with twin hextronic HX12k 10kg metal gear servos, 5000 mah nimh battery

just noticed my lid is on backwards

went out for a play and had a whoppsie.

decided to ditch the rear steer for now.

New parts arrived new shocks mounted on the axles

Needed a new look, so i went down the road of fabbing up a new chassis from 2mm ally plate

Last edited by d_j_stockton; 03-28-2013 at 05:41 AM.
d_j_stockton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2013, 02:27 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Aussie RS10 (HBX Rockfighter) Build

Man nice job it's looking pretty good. In a way it's good to lock out the rear steer as I haven't and both axles look the same and I only realsed today the the chassis is on backwards so forward is reverse ect I'm a smart one
pajey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:28 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Also mine is actually a hbx rockfighter too not a redcat rs10 but they are exactly the same.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:12 AM   #4

Nice. Do u bend the lower link yourself? Any way to bend the rod link without proper tool? Will vice clamp works cos I hope to lower my RS10 further down.
zaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:21 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Yeah, I have a mate with a lathe and mill setup in his shed. So we fabricated the parts for the car out of 6mm solid aluminum structural rod. Just about all my mods have been low cost mods. Well untill now that is.

I have bought a hacked flysky gt3b and I'm going to run dual esc (most likely dual axial ae-2 esc's) and probably put rear steer back on but only in crab mode.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:15 PM   #6

Cool. No progress for me so far except relocate the battery and have the electronics at the the original battery location. Still waiting g for the link joint that I ordered via ebay to shift the shock to axle setup. Currently looking for a nice body but its hard to get a nice one at a cheap price here in sg.
zaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:25 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Yes! My banebots are on their way! Let's see how they go. Next mod - another axial ae-2 speedy and then Lipo, not sire weather to go 2s or 3s, if If go 3s what extra eletronics will I need? A friend told me I might need a ubec/bec or something like that?
Old 02-05-2013, 07:53 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_j_stockton View Post
Yes! My banebots are on their way! Let's see how they go. Next mod - another axial ae-2 speedy and then Lipo, not sire weather to go 2s or 3s, if If go 3s what extra eletronics will I need? A friend told me I might need a ubec/bec or something like that?
if/when i get my rs10 i am looking to do the banebots as well so i am very interested in your "review" after they get installed. i believe you should run a bec if you go with the 3s, i run a 2s with a xl-5 (lvd) & i have been told that a bec would "help" with power, but not sure. if you go with the 3s please keep us informed, interested in how your overall setup works. if you see big improvements then i may copy you!!!

thanks!!!
rc dreemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:31 PM   #9
RCC Addict

A bec is used for your servo so when you are powering it, there are no shorts of power where the servo will sometimes go slow, glitch a bit or stop. The bec regulates the power and is normally used on high torque/power servos. But if I was to get my electrics redone I would defiantly buy a castle creations bec.
Yes you need an external bec.
http:// http://www.rccrawler.com/for...ernal-bec.html
Old 02-06-2013, 04:28 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Well... I guess I change my chassis designs as often as a woman changes her mind,

Credit needs to go to pajey for the inspiration on this one.

The plan is to run this on a 2200mah 2/3s .
Old 02-09-2013, 04:48 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Well the banebots arrived, run them in for two runs of 10 mins on a 12 volt battery. Installed them and they are much smoother. In saying that a 7.2 nimh battery is just not getting the best out of these motors, soooo 3s Lipo here I come.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:29 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Nice looking chassis man. Hope the banbots work out well
Old 02-11-2013, 04:24 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_j_stockton View Post
Well the banebots arrived, run them in for two runs of 10 mins on a 12 volt battery. Installed them and they are much smoother. In saying that a 7.2 nimh battery is just not getting the best out of these motors, soooo 3s Lipo here I come.
DJ,
So why did you run them like described above? are there instructions to indicate what/how to do as described??

now that they have a few runs on them (hopefully...) how do yo ulike them? & did it help with any "clod stall"

thanks!!!
rc dreemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:30 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

It is my understanding that by "running" the motors in it helps to improve the contact patch of the brushes inside the motor, I've heard of people running in their brushed motors at a high voltage (in excess on 12v) and putting them in a glass of water to keep them cool.

As the banebots have a nominal voltage of 12volts I decided to connect them to a car battery for 2 x 10 minute runs first time without pinions second time with.

The rs390 banebots imo really need a 3s (11.1v) battery to get the best out of them, I'm running 2 x axial ae-2 speedys which can handle 3s, I wouldn't risk it on a stock speedy as it is only rated on paper to 8.4v.

I haven't really had a chance to have a proper play yet so I shall reserve judgment until another day, but so far so good.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:20 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

well... another change to the chassis, this time to make the size comp Legal (the previous one was a little to short)

first the base plates

I turned the rear links around to have the bend closer to the chassis and also added a bit more bend angle for more clearance.

Second, with the "cabin" in place

Third, a top shot to show the roof" and "bonnet"

still need to do the side panels and tidy up the wiring a bit.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:00 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Nice chassis I always loved the bjv4 and v3. I might redo mine one day as it was a spare of the moment idea but I love how mines not perfect. What did you make it out of? I'm thinking next one will be delrin or something. Looks real good.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:37 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

I used chopping board again, but I'm using the thin ones, about 2.5-3 mm thick. If I knew where to buy delrin I might consider using it. I am also considering finding an outlet for a sheet of carbon fiber if I like this chassis enough.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:22 AM   #18
RCC Addict

There's a place on the web that sells delrin and carbon fibre tube and rod thats near my house sort of, can't remember whether they sell sheets. But type in Google `hobbyparts.com.au' and one will say hobby and engineering supplies they sell lots of $hit on there site. I'll look for ya.

Checked and they do sell carbon fibre sheets if you get interested.
$50 for 400mm x 500mm x 0.3mm

Last edited by pajey; 02-19-2013 at 04:27 AM.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:56 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Well I'm off to my second social comp this weekend, lots of mods to test out. Mainly the upgrade to banebots and 3s Lipo, so we'll see how the go and I'll report back on the results.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:19 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Sounds like it's going to be a bit wet aye. It's still pretty overcast and rainy. Hope the wether holds for you's. I'll have to plot down to one of the comps once I get the cars sorted. Good Luck.

Aussie RS10 (HBX Rockfighter) Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help with my HBX Rockfighter,servo steering wrong way replay Electronics 0 01-22-2013 12:15 AM
Can an HBX "Rockfighter" Rock crawler esc run safely on 5000mah 2s lipo? warmanjames Electronics 1 12-15-2012 06:54 AM
west aussie hellstrom bully build blingg RC4WD Bully 184 09-12-2012 01:47 AM
stock Tamiya 380s in a HBX Rockfighter? SqueakyBum Electronics 2 12-31-2011 07:55 PM
My new TRACER chasis for RS10/ HBX RockFighter pelanas Redcat Crawlers 16 11-17-2010 05:51 AM