Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Project: Smooth Operator (RS10 EVEREST)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2015, 09:46 PM   #1

Default Project: Smooth Operator (RS10 EVEREST)

Hello all! new to this forum. I just recently picked up this RS10 Everest for $130 NIB a few weeks ago. Well not too long after I was browsing this site along with a few others with the help of google. Anyways I did a few changes to the truck one being taking out the foam and adding 4 oz of weight to the front wheels and 2 oz to the rear tires to help with traction. Also decided to ditch the stock body and install a Proline 1973 ford bronco body. I also made an aluminum frame to help with the mounting of the body. I got the idea from another fellow on this site who used a cutting board I believe to make his frame and mount a jeep body. I have a few pictures to share below.

Here is the frame all done. I used some angled aluminum from Lowes and boxed it in with the help of screws and nuts.

next I bought the bronco body and cut it out. Once that was complete I also relocated the mounting posts to the rear and front of the frame.

Had some rubbing issues in the rear (which I still do) Once I realized my problem, I decided to cut the fender flares off

Last edited by tony91723; 06-13-2017 at 08:05 PM.
tony91723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2015, 09:51 PM   #2

Default Re: Project: Smooth Operator (RS10 EVEREST)

heres the truck sitting flat

Took the frame off and decided to paint it the same as the body. Nothing special tamiya can of paint ps-9 I believe it way.

Next came the body, Heres a shot with it almost finished. I ran out of paint and had to get more the following day.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:58 PM   #3

All finished. I really like the way the paint came out. Its pretty hard installing these darn stickers on the body so some of them came out straight while others not so much heh oh well.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:24 PM   #4

Well experienced my first break today, ended up losing traction on my left front wheel. I'm thinking its the locking mechanism (if there is one) thats toast. Only lasted me 2 weeks. As you can see the body doesn't look to good anymore only took me 3 days to beat it up.

Also as you can see in the pic above and below I was getting tired of all the flex the rear has and actually seemed to get me stuck in worse situations.

I came up with a jerry rigged idea of making some stops for the suspension using some aluminum tubing smashing one end and pinching the other to clear some of the rear linkage the truck has. Also this helped in the massive tire rubbing I was dealing with, now no need for hacking the body any more.

if anyone has any better ideas I'm all ears!! Its only my first crawler. But i'm having fun messing with this thing. Also Still trying to figure how to fix my torque twist. Anyone have any suggestions? Lastly I was thinking of actually getting some shorter shocks and place them vertically similar to my jerry rigged stoppers and actually creating a stopper that would sit wrapped around the shaft of the shock...once I'm done I'll be sure to share my work...BTW 89 views and no comments!?
Old 04-16-2015, 10:06 PM   #5

On the decals if you use some soap water and rub a small amount on the back of the sticker, adjust the placement then rub all the soapy water from behind it you will save a lot of the trouble of trying to get them straight. And on the shocks I think if you get the stock axial scx10 shocks they have rubber stops already on them but I don't know if they would be long enough.
ArchaicRabbit9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 10:47 PM   #6

Thanks. I was thinking of using my exsisting shocks and maybe some shrink tubing on the shafts of shocks just to see if it works.
Old 04-17-2015, 07:38 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I used some clear air line for a fish tank on my daughters E10. 3/4" long if I remember right, and the flex is perfect.
As for the lockers, you can pick up a pair of Axial iron crosses and with some modification and filing of the axles you'll have bullet proof diffs. If you can find a set of HSP metal lockers you'd be even better off imo. Direct drop in with no modifications.
The way I concurred my torque twist was by going to a X-trail chassis. most of the Redcat will bolt right up such as the tranny plate and links, but you'll have to do some building and modifying. Nothing to complicated though.
Cheap chassis, looks more scale and will improve your E10 ten times over.
Attached Images

Jeepiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 07:41 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

HSP locker
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2015, 08:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony91723 View Post
Well experienced my first break today, ended up losing traction on my left front wheel. I'm thinking its the locking mechanism (if there is one) thats toast. Only lasted me 2 weeks. As you can see the body doesn't look to good anymore only took me 3 days to beat it up.

Also as you can see in the pic above and below I was getting tired of all the flex the rear has and actually seemed to get me stuck in worse situations.

I came up with a jerry rigged idea of making some stops for the suspension using some aluminum tubing smashing one end and pinching the other to clear some of the rear linkage the truck has. Also this helped in the massive tire rubbing I was dealing with, now no need for hacking the body any more.

if anyone has any better ideas I'm all ears!! Its only my first crawler. But i'm having fun messing with this thing. Also Still trying to figure how to fix my torque twist. Anyone have any suggestions? Lastly I was thinking of actually getting some shorter shocks and place them vertically similar to my jerry rigged stoppers and actually creating a stopper that would sit wrapped around the shaft of the shock...once I'm done I'll be sure to share my work...BTW 89 views and no comments!?

I had the same problem with my redcat, I took the 1/4 inch shaft limiters that comes on the stock scx10 shocks, and put them on the redcat shocks, just unscrew the bottom end of the shock from the shaft and limit the shaft.
My flex was ridiculous and was rubbing hard on the body, but now problem is solved

The back axle is at full flex in this pic and now doesn't rub the body.
Hope this helps! Looks great btw, loving the bronco body!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kaleo8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 09:35 PM   #10

good side

bad side

not much to the diff

It looks like its time to upgrade.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:37 PM   #11

thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm definitely going to be looking for some hose to use as shock limiters.
Old 04-17-2015, 10:04 PM   #12

are these these the lockers I'll be needing Axial AX30500 ?

Old 04-17-2015, 10:53 PM   #13

Alright with a little research I was able to figure out that I need to purchase the lockers on my previous post. and also do a little grinding to allow my locker to sit in the case.

okay used this little bad boy and a dremel to remove the center section of the case to make room for the locker.

not a real pretty job but it'll work.

Old 04-18-2015, 04:50 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

That's the one. You'll have to grind on the axle ends to make them fit in the Axial lockers, but you wont strip those out.
Old 04-19-2015, 02:29 AM   #15

well I worked on the truck. I found some spare vacuum caps for automotive repair and made them work as shock stoppers came out good in my opinion compared to what I had before.

fitted the lockers in the case as well. I took some pics of a stock axle and a filed down one, didn't come out very well...but I'll share anyways.

Old 04-19-2015, 04:57 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

You might want to ebay a extra set of axles. $6 a pair from China. Drive shafts are cheap to, and you'll eventually need them. Or you can get a pair of MIP CVD's. Oh, and the stock pinion is brass. Wont last long.
Old 04-19-2015, 11:01 AM   #17

What are my options for the pinion?
Old 04-19-2015, 11:27 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Just some advice: mount the shocks on the new chassis upright. It will look more scale and it will limit the flex. Also it will be more predictable. You might need to get or make shock hoops to get the ride height right.
Jcplante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 06:31 PM   #19

picked up some axial rock sliders. used the upper control arm bolt location to mount them pretty much perfectly with the body I believe.

sit pretty darn good.

they even work.

Old 04-19-2015, 06:39 PM   #20

Some more action shots from earlier in the day before I started mounting my new rock sliders.

Got flex!? alot less flex and no more issues with the tire rub.

not much body twist anymore climbing up hills

Made it to the top!

Project: Smooth Operator (RS10 EVEREST) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Smooth Operator RANOVRU Chit Chat 15 05-27-2011 11:43 AM