Notices

Like Tree125Likes

Thread: Tinker's Toy: RS10 XT Endless Mod

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2014, 07:37 PM   #1
I Can Do That™

Default Tinker's Toy: RS10 XT Endless Mod

Hey all.

Been lurking a bit ever since the RC bug bit me. A friend got a Vorza Flux and it was so much fun I couldn't stop scheming on how to get in on some of that action. But where I live there's no bashing room...it's all steep hills, woods and rocks. More trailing scaling terrain really...but something about Crawling really made me smile.

Being a broke ass with a full shop and lots of misc hardware but no RC stuff I settled on the RS10 XT because I could afford it and I could see potential. I love to tinker with machines.

It took me a while to warm to MOA. I guess deep inside there's a Scaler trying to get out...but I started watching crawling videos and once you get down to it MOA is the only way forward if you are thinking about Crawling ridiculous lines.

SO I got over my MOA prejudice and bought the RS10. Once I started trailing the RS10 around it was clear there was much to improve. Even as a complete RC newb with no crawling experience simple observation trial and error was telling me this thing could be better...much better. CG was way too high, tires were way too hard, shocks were...well...damn near useless. And worst of all I was unable to crawl much of anything...spent more time flipping the thing over than driving

Well rather than babble on have a look at some of the mods I've done and let me know what you think.

Pre Run Cable Management and Suspension Tune Cable Management & Suspension Tune: RedCat RS10 XT RC Rock Crawler - YouTube

LED Shell Mod LED Lighting Mod RedCat RS10 XT Rock Crawler RC - YouTube

Roll Cage Mod Nekkid RS10 XT RC Rock Crawler - YouTube

BTA Steering Link Mod BFA Steering Mod RedCat RS10 XT RC Rock Crawler - YouTube

Shaved Lug No Foam Tire Mod Shaved Lug Tire Mod RedCat RS10 XT RC Rock Crawler - YouTube

Next on my agenda: custom links and better servos...already toasted one servo. Knew that was coming.
bbolden516, iDC5 and srichson like this.

Last edited by MountainStorm; 03-05-2014 at 03:45 PM.
MountainStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2014, 08:17 AM   #2
In the band for now.

Default Re: Tinker's Toy: RS10 XT Endless Mod

dumping cash into an OK rig gets old fast. once you get sick of wasting/ dumping into the ten look at buying a rig where upgrades actually make for a better rig. the 10 is a decent rig for a beginner, the upgrade cash piles on quick. and with those small motors it has a hard time keeping up with the better rigs. sooner or later what it lacks will bore you .

YES I owned one , it was fine for awhile but dumping all that cash into it I realized I could of bought something a little more better so I sold it.
Sydwall85 likes this.

Last edited by lemonhead; 03-04-2014 at 08:25 AM.
lemonhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:48 AM   #3
I Can Do That™

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonhead View Post
dumping cash into an OK rig gets old fast. once you get sick of wasting/ dumping into the ten look at buying a rig where upgrades actually make for a better rig. the 10 is a decent rig for a beginner, the upgrade cash piles on quick. and with those small motors it has a hard time keeping up with the better rigs. sooner or later what it lacks will bore you .

YES I owned one , it was fine for awhile but dumping all that cash into it I realized I could of bought something a little more better so I sold it.
You are entitled to your opinion But it doesn't relate to my situation.

No cash dumped over here. No rigs to keep up with. Just my broke ass having fun tinkering with an entry level rig. Broke a servo so I locked the rear and ordered a $15 Axial AS3 off eBay. Yeah I'll break that too and then I'll get a $21.99 servo from CPE. I can break a mess of cheap servos and still be under what "real" servos cost...and in the meantime I can be playing and tinkering...instead of window shopping for parts I will never want to afford.

Last edited by MountainStorm; 03-04-2014 at 08:52 AM.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:47 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Looks like your having fun with the hobby. In my eyes that's the name of the game, keep me occupied, and have fun!
MountainStorm likes this.
iDC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:21 PM   #5
I Can Do That™

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDC5 View Post
Looks like your having fun with the hobby. In my eyes that's the name of the game, keep me occupied, and have fun!
Thanks man.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:07 PM   #6

It is all about having fun not who has the most cash dumped into a toy...The whole scale thing started with making things work with what you got. I know people that still built them this way. Not a lot of cash invested but have a lot of fun tinkering keep it up..

Devious PowerSports ,Tyler
tznutts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:14 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Lemonhead has a point, in a way. I've seen a lot of guys dump a whole lot of money into RS10s in attempts to make it something it's not. For the money that some have spent, they could have easily built a badass scaler or MOA rig like a Bully and had a far more capable rig. All in all, fun is the name of the game and people should build and buy what they want. I really enjoyed my RS10...it was my first crawler and they're great rigs to learn on, but I felt like I outgrew it and desired something different, so I built up a scaler.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:31 AM   #8
I Can Do That™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsowens View Post
Lemonhead has a point, in a way. I've seen a lot of guys dump a whole lot of money into RS10s in attempts to make it something it's not. For the money that some have spent, they could have easily built a badass scaler or MOA rig like a Bully and had a far more capable rig. All in all, fun is the name of the game and people should build and buy what they want. I really enjoyed my RS10...it was my first crawler and they're great rigs to learn on, but I felt like I outgrew it and desired something different, so I built up a scaler.
I hear that. I have a couple of younguns here that would love for me to out grow this rig so they can have it.

I have a real attraction to scale trail rigs. Eventually I want to build a Sawback.

I don't plan to do anything to motors or transmissions (unless they fail). No plans to throw a pricey ESC on it or go 4 channel or anything too crazy. Any link mods I do will be super cheap. Not planning on tossing $150 VP rims or $100 Ottsix tires on it either. But I can see getting some halfway decent CPE servos and a BEC. In the long run it will be better than endlessly replacing the stock ones.

The plan is to use what's there, break it, fix it, and have fun with it. I'm a newb and I know it.

There's no way I deserve a Bully or s Berg because I don't even know how to use one properly
iDC5 likes this.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:08 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

You will be fine, mine cpe servos hold up good even with xtra weight, when in a bind still move rig around. But after watching some other videos I might try and find a faster servo for the front
Old 03-05-2014, 03:43 PM   #10
I Can Do That™

Tore the rig down to nuts and bolts today and continued the Endless Mod. Did the Berg style rear lock out using copper pipe (as seen on RCCrawler.com lol). Took my time and left most of the horns to sock that copper spacer into the right place. Rear is solid dead straight love it. Left the knuckle arms for now. I might revert to rear steer when I get some more coin.

Studied the frame plate and laid out the shock and lower and designed a link, cut a template, scratched it onto 1/4" aluminum and cut it out on the bandsaw. Dialed it in with the sander and now I just need some decent link ends so I can finish it and test it.

Flipped the electronics tray upside down which lowers it about 3/8" or so putting the Fan on the ESC about level with the top so I got rid of the roll cage.

Reworked the suspension geometry. Got the front arched up a bit and the back stretched out to the max. Seems to be more capable now.

By that time the Servo was in the mail box so I grabbed it and got it mounted. Had to trim back the servo mount and rework the link a little, trimmed the stop horns off and WOW. SO much throw. Amazing. Had to dial back the EPA so the tires were not hitting the upper links. Much tighter turning radius than stock now. I don't think I'll miss the rear steer much.

So now I am just waiting for the kids to get home so we can go out and putz around. Got my girl a Maisto Extreme Crawler. That thing is a beast for a $40 toy RC...goes just about anywhere we want. I have it loaded with 2900mah Nimh AA batteries. We get about 1/2 hour of run time out of it.

I'll post up pics in a bit. Waiting for the camera to charge up.

Been a good RC day for sure. Tinker tinker.
bbolden516 likes this.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:08 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Man, Welcome to the fun of fooling around with r/c stuff and kids! Glad to see ya having fun! Hank
hank the crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:19 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Rigth on, looks like your doing good, make sure to post some update pics...
Old 03-06-2014, 01:11 PM   #13
I Can Do That™

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDC5 View Post
Rigth on, looks like your doing good, make sure to post some update pics...
I tend to go for video...I'm a YouTube addict. I've got one on the way showing the latest changes.

Went on a scouting mission this afternoon and found the zone I want to work with. Close enough to the house it won't be a PITA to get to every time I want to play. It's got potential but needs work to be a challenge. It's not enough to climb one or two rocks! I need LOTS of rocks...so I will have to gather them.

Started by grooming the general area. About a foot of leaves everywhere. Fallen limbs and all that junk. The area is studded with some gigantic quartz boulders that I plan to fill in with smaller boulders. We don't have perfect crawling rocks here...just the occasional boulder jutting out of the ground. So I will have to add more and do a lot of grooming to make it fun to play on.
iDC5 likes this.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:20 PM   #14
I Can Do That™

More RS10 Mods: Suspension,Rear Lock Out, More Throw - YouTube
iDC5 likes this.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:04 AM   #15
I Can Do That™

Click the image to open in full size.

Lowered the CG. No drilling or cutting. Just repositioned shocks to the brace and pushed the electronics tray all the way down. It's held by friction.

Lower shock mounts in back are at the end of the hex link far out as they can go. Front lower mounts are as far back as they can go before binding with the drag link under full compression.

Seems perfectly happy balancing dead vertical.
bbolden516 and iDC5 like this.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:01 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Looks great. You have good cog by the looks of it, and proper weight distribution.
Keep up the good work.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:23 PM   #17
I Can Do That™

Default Skid Plate & Axle Weight

1/16" aluminum formed into a skid plate attached to the lower links and the top link horn. Top brace traps a piece of 1" Brass Hex Stock. Top brace is removable without removing skid plate. This way I can test different weights or run no weight at all for trailing.

Weight is exactly in line with the center of the axle. Skid plate is 1/16" away from differential. Protects drag link (which was getting beat to hell when I reversed over rocks).

Now if this snow will hurry up and melt I'll be able to test it.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:14 PM   #18
I Can Do That™

Skid Plate & Axle Weight RedCat RS10 XT RC Rock Crawler - YouTube
Old 03-07-2014, 07:55 PM   #19
symmetry

like that skidplate . how much weight is that brass slug? about 2 inches?
there will be people who will say that skid is no good, that it blocks the approach, but for bashing in the
trails it can only help and it does look killer.

try widening out the wheelbase a bit, about 1/2" each side. not only a bit more stable but will also stop
most of the tire rub against the motor-wires-shocks. also try taking out the foams, depending on your
terrain it might help a bit.

tweaking and modding the rs10 is a lot more fun than spending tons of money buying high dollar components
for the 'good' axles. I have a berg or two and a bully or two and they are good, specially the new bully2s.

keep at it it will be interesting to see what you come up with

are you in eastern tenn? I am in eastern nc

Last edited by cabron; 03-07-2014 at 09:28 PM.
cabron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:34 PM   #20
I Can Do That™

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabron View Post
like that skidplate . how much weight is that brass slug? about 2 inches?
there will be people who will that skid is no good, that it blocks the approach, but for bashing in the
trails it can only help and it does look killer.

try widening out the wheelbase a bit, about 1/2" each side. not only a bit more stable but will also stop
most of the tire rub against the motor-wires-shocks. also try taking out the foams, depending on your
terrain it might help a bit.

tweaking and modding the rs10 is a lot more fun than spending tons of money buying high dollar components
for the 'good' axles. I have a berg or two and a bully or two and they are good, specially the new bully2s.

keep at it it will be interesting to see what you come up with

are you in eastern tenn? I am in eastern nc
Ha I was thinking about widening the wheel base today. I live in VA. I have a friend in NC that is building a Bully and boy is he tossing coin at it. The axles he got are just beautiful pieces of machinery. He's still waiting on the chassis. We plan to get together and build it in my shop.He's got the resources...I've got tools and 20 years of experience doing Yacht repairs...so piddling around with these things is stimulating.

I pulled the foams a few days after I got it. I think the tires themselves are too wide. I found some used HB Rovers on eBay I might try out. But those will need good foams to work right. If I can figure it out I may cut n shut these. Be a great excuse to by some good ones when I screw them up.

The plate might kill my approach. I wish I knew. I haved noticed that no "real" crawlers have them. So I am guessing there is a reason for that. But I was stuck inside all day and had to do something.

SNOW is putting any testing on hold. I might have too much weight in there. I got 2" of 1" hex stock in there with a slice taken off. It feels really heavy. I guess I could weigh it and do some searches here and see what weight people run. But I am not sure it would relate to this rig. Kind of sucks not having any resources around here to work with...no one does this in my area that I know about.

I don't even think there's a good hobby shop within 50 miles.

Thanks for the advice.

Tags
chassis design, fabrication, links, mods, rs10

Tinker's Toy: RS10 XT Endless Mod - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My RS10-tracer-brushless mod. pelanas Redcat RS10 15 04-15-2014 07:29 AM
Toy Class New Bright Crawler Mod- Just For Fun distress General Crawlers 0 04-17-2013 04:14 PM
Help with rs10 BTA mod 32_d3gr33s Redcat RS10 5 12-07-2011 05:24 PM
Toy hilux body mod help-dove tail, bobbed bed ETC slashbasher 1.9 Scale Rigs 0 02-22-2010 03:17 AM
Endless laptops.. endless li-ion power? cheesefart Electronics 10 09-05-2009 03:24 PM