Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Duratrax 380 size motor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2014, 04:05 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Duratrax 380 size motor

as the title says has anyone used the Duratrax 380 motors from the cliff climber?

i found these Duratrax CC-11K Motor 380 Sized Cliff Climber on tower hobbies for like $13 each figured id give em a shot if they are ok, just dont know what turn they are
trukkracea is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2014, 08:17 AM   #2

Default Re: Duratrax 380 size motor

If you find out what the turns are can you post it, and if you get them can you tell us if they work? Thanks Ryan
Hollister_Ry_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 01:29 AM   #3

If they work please tell. Looking for new motors .
cyberbaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 03:06 PM   #4

Today i got my duratrax cc-11000 and happy to get them i tried them on and to me that was a dissepointmen. They did not make my car any better (redcat rockclimber) . I have read in some channel that those that have them like original have change to redcats with bettet results. I have now put some other on and will try tomorrow.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:16 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

I love these http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=6411
Very small so there is plenty of room to do anything you want with your links and shocks. Better torque and wheel speed too.

You'd also need these if you went that route Radio Control Planes, Helicopters, Cars, Boats, FPV and Quadcopters - Hobbyking*

And these are what really brings the motors to life Radio Control Planes, Helicopters, Cars, Boats, FPV and Quadcopters - Hobbyking* They also fit quite nicely on the front axle across from the servo. They take 7 minutes to charge
and give me 25 minutes of run time. I have 2 of them and I typically get burnt out before they do.

Then you are just one of these away FlySky FS-T6 2.4ghz Digital Proportional 6 Channel Transmitter and Receiver System from front and rear proportional dig.
I haven't stepped up to this one yet, I just made a Y harness to connect the 2 esc's into 1 battery and they work great on the stock radio, but it is next on my list.

My fave part is the prices. $10, $13, $15. Unfortunately you do need 2 of each when it comes to the motors and esc's, but I have had this set up for almost 2 years now and nothing has ever broken or needed replacement. The Esc's are really easy to take out of the cases if you are weight conscious. All you need is a tiny screw driver. The motors are way lighter than stock and obviously the battery is too.

Last edited by Overkel; 06-13-2014 at 09:19 PM.
Overkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:49 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

and these motors produce more wheel speed and equivalent torque?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkel View Post
I love these Radio Control Planes, Helicopters, Cars, Boats, FPV and Quadcopters - Hobbyking*
Very small so there is plenty of room to do anything you want with your links and shocks. Better torque and wheel speed too.

You'd also need these if you went that route Radio Control Planes, Helicopters, Cars, Boats, FPV and Quadcopters - Hobbyking*

And these are what really brings the motors to life Radio Control Planes, Helicopters, Cars, Boats, FPV and Quadcopters - Hobbyking* They also fit quite nicely on the front axle across from the servo. They take 7 minutes to charge
and give me 25 minutes of run time. I have 2 of them and I typically get burnt out before they do.

Then you are just one of these away FlySky FS-T6 2.4ghz Digital Proportional 6 Channel Transmitter and Receiver System from front and rear proportional dig.
I haven't stepped up to this one yet, I just made a Y harness to connect the 2 esc's into 1 battery and they work great on the stock radio, but it is next on my list.

My fave part is the prices. $10, $13, $15. Unfortunately you do need 2 of each when it comes to the motors and esc's, but I have had this set up for almost 2 years now and nothing has ever broken or needed replacement. The Esc's are really easy to take out of the cases if you are weight conscious. All you need is a tiny screw driver. The motors are way lighter than stock and obviously the battery is too.
JCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 02:42 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

More torque for sure. The extra wheel speed probably depends on batteries (like the 3s ones I listed).
I never tried it on the stock Nihms so couldn't vouch for those. It would also depend on the pinions you chose.
I'm pretty sure I went with these 9 Tooth 32 Pitch Steel Pinion Gear or the 8 tooth version, but it's been awhile. It is advisable to grind a flat spot onto the motor so that the pinion stays on better. BTW.

All I know is that my friends saw it run for the first time and they were teasing me about having too much wheel speed.
They were like "gonna take the ole rock racer out again are ya?" They just assumed that my wheel speed meant I had no torque...until I climbed all of the lines they weren't able to get up. One of them had a stock rs10 and the other had a slightly modded venom creeper just for reference.
Old 06-15-2014, 03:24 PM   #8

The johnson motors i tried gave good speed but very bad torque.
Old 06-15-2014, 03:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkel View Post
I love these http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=6411

that's something i will try out. but for a beginner like me how do u get they all together the esc's and the reciver? do u have any pics?
Old 06-15-2014, 05:56 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Sorry for no pics. If I ever get that capability, I'll make a build thread to show all of the different mods I've done over 2 years of nonstop tinkering.
The 2 esc's just go right into the stock receiver. The only mod you need to do is to get a Y harness that will connect your 2 esc's into 1battery. I ended up buying some deans plugs and about a foot of black and red wires and just saudered it up myself. It was pretty simple and I had no previous experience with that type of thing. Most LHS's carry a Y harness but the ones I found were all the opposite of what I needed. I needed 1 male end and 2 female ends and they always seemed to have harnesses with 1 female and 2 males. It was something I searched for and learned how to do on this site if I remember correctly. When you look at the two esc's and the one battery...you'll know what you need. It's hard to describe, but pretty easy to do once you are looking at the actual parts that need to be connected.

The motors come with 3 bullet connectors on them and you want to put 3 bullet connectors on the 3 esc wires. A common issues is that one motor will be spinning one direction and the other motor is spinning the opposite direction. This is a super easy fix. You just pull out 2 of your bullet connections and switch them. So while it is hard to know which bullet goes to which esc wire, it is super cinch to just keep switching them around until the motor is spinning the direction you want. Once again, it sounds harder than it is. Since you have bullet connectors you just keep moving them around until it turns the way you want it too. There's only 3 wires so it isn't a very long process of elimination to get it worked out.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:15 AM   #11

Thx. I will order them next week when i come home.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:18 AM   #12

Just one more question. How does they work in water? If i need to go threw water are they gonna make it?
Old 06-16-2014, 09:10 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

if it is a brushed motor it is fine so long as u try and stay out of really dirty water.
JCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 12:23 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Really it's esc's and batteries that don't like water. A little electrical tape on the end of a battery has served me just fine.
For the esc's I just try to keep them above the water line myself, but with a little searching on this forum you could probably find 20 different ways to protect them for hard core water bashing.

I've also seen a lot of esc's start getting glitchy from water and most of the time if a person catches it quick enough and then let's it dry out...they will come back to life.

Last edited by Overkel; 06-16-2014 at 12:33 PM.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:41 AM   #15

Ok thx
Old 06-29-2014, 11:53 PM   #16

Cant u take a pic of your setup and post?
Old 06-30-2014, 07:59 PM   #17
RCC Addict

the biggest drawback to the brushless motors is there is little to no drag braking.
but otherwise there is plenty of power and speed for a relatively small price.
i have 2 motors and 2 escs on standby for when i wear out the stock motors.
i did find a couple of the sidewinder2 escs on sale so i will have some drag braking yay

enjoy
cabron is offline   Reply With Quote

Duratrax 380 size motor - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
380 size brushed crawler motor jared3650 Electronics 9 05-08-2018 07:07 PM
Rs 10 380 size motor rs10crazy Redcat Crawlers 6 11-09-2012 07:14 AM