Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: RS10 Problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2015, 10:45 AM   #1

Default RS10 Problem

Hey Guys, I'm new to this Forum and to RCing in general. I got my son a RS10 about 6 months ago and right away lost the front servo. Replaced with a metal geared one. Then the rear one went out as well. I just got around to replacing it. Problem is, when I turn everything on now it starts and stops, starts and stops, without touching anything on the controller. I recalibrated the ESC, but nothing changed. Everything is stock except for the servos, battery, and tires. Has anyone else had this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've gotten new motors (395's) to upgrade, but I'm not sure I want to put them on until I get this problem fixed.

PS. I posted this in another thread because I thought this might be related, but decided to start a new one instead.

Last edited by Jeronimo; 03-02-2015 at 05:51 PM.
Jeronimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2015, 10:56 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: RS10 Problem

Hey J

Basic trouble shooting would be to unplug the servos and see if the glitch stops.

I have found that when a servo dies it causes the Lansu RX module to freak out. I had random reverse/forward power to the motors when mine died a few different times. So if unplugging one or the other servo stops the glitch it could be a fault in the servo. I would unplug the front servo which was running fine and just plug in the rear servo and the ESC and if the glitch occurs you bought a faulty servo. If it only happens when you plug in both servos you are asking too much of the internal BEC on the ESC and need to purchase and install an external BEC.

And just an FYI: the ESC (Electronic Speed Control) has a small internal power regulator we call a BEC (Battery Eliminator Circuit) that supplies about 5 VDC to the red and black wires on the ribbon cable that plugs the ESC into the RX (Receiver). This powers the RX and anything plugged into the RX. The amperage from that source is pretty low. The amperage from the new servos might be drawing more than the ESC BEC can handle. This could brown out the RX or cause some other voltage related problem between the ESC and RX.

If the glitch occurs with only the ESC installed check the throttle trim on the TX. RedCat has a PDF that explains how to program and calibrate the ESC but that should not be the problem. http://www.redcatracing.com/manuals/E401.pdf

Last edited by MountainStorm; 03-01-2015 at 11:08 AM.
MountainStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 12:08 PM   #3

Thanks for the info. I just unplugged the front, then both servos...no change. Could it be a low battery issue? I've got a NIMH 3300MAH plugged in atm, but I can't find the Charger, got one on order. Just received a 3800MAH LIPO, but I need to switch out the connections. Already tried recalibrating. Throttle trim set at 100. If I need a new ESC, any recommendations? Thanks again for responding.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:49 PM   #4
RCC Addict

when troubleshooting dont change too many things out at the same time.
you will never figure out what did what.
if you are running with low batteries, try that first and only that, not with something else at the same time.
try just one servo then the other then both

do you turn on the radio first then then plug in the battery to the crawler?
cabron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:24 PM   #5

No, RS10 First, then Controller. As soon as the controller is on on, Problem starts... I haven't tried tying the two together AGAIN though, after all the problems...do you think it could solve the problem?
Old 03-01-2015, 08:27 PM   #6

PS. I still have steering, if that helps...
Old 03-01-2015, 08:28 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

i would charge the batt.
JCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 09:46 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeronimo View Post
No, RS10 First, then Controller. As soon as the controller is on on, Problem starts... I haven't tried tying the two together AGAIN though, after all the problems...do you think it could solve the problem?
You should always turn on the tx first, then the truck. By turning on the tx first you don't need to worry about the truck taking off on you. I know its not a big deal with the rs10 cause its slow, but if you had something fast and it took off bad things could happen lol. Then when turning it off- truck first then tx. As far as ur problem goes...... Get a fresh batt first. If there is still a prob try plugging the ESC into channel 1. With it like that the wheel will control the ESC. If it still acts up then it could be the ESC. If its new contact the seller and they will prob send you a new esc.
Jcplante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 05:13 PM   #9

Okay, Thanks. Speaking of Batteries, what Connectors do you guys like best. I'm going with the Traxas ones. Are there others that are better?
Old 03-02-2015, 05:30 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Most guys use deans. The traxxas ones work just as well tho. The only thing about deans is they are common so if you go out with other guys there is a good chance of borrowing a batt or charger if needed. But if you have traxxas now I would just stick with it. Maybe make an adapter just in case
Old 03-02-2015, 05:50 PM   #11

Okay, I'll update as soon as I have a fresh Battery. Tried turning on controller first, then truck...no go.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:15 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Cheap good escs if needed: rc4wd outcry, castle sidewinder, axial ae2 just to name a few. There are really cheap Chinese ones that will work too but don't usually last as long. I ran the outcry in my rs10 with great results.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:30 PM   #13

I posted this on another thread earlier today. These are the only two ESC's I use for crawling. You don't need to spend more than $20!

Save your money! Buy one of these great, inexpensive speed controls. They don't have a programmable drag brake, but that doesn't bother me.

HobbyKing X-Car 45A Brushed Car ESC

HOBBYWING North America — QUICRUN 16 Brushed ESC
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 11:01 PM   #14

Thanks for the info... I've already Ordered these: Hobbypower 320A High Voltage V2 Brushed ESC Speed Controller F 4WD RC Off-road Car Truck
I Finally got My Traxxas Connectors on my LIPO and then hooked it up...Runs Constantly Now...Definitely Starting to think ESC'S.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:37 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Fellow nooob,

First time I powered up my new rs10 it backed offthe table without any trigger action. I watched a ewe-tube vid that
advised starting throttle trim at zero percent. Problem solved. Still plenty of responce. I hope this helps.

Then the front servo burned.

Last edited by P.A.Myers; 03-20-2015 at 02:33 PM. Reason: kwerk
P.A.Myers is offline   Reply With Quote

RS10 Problem - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First post, rs10 problem CSimpson Redcat Crawlers 2 10-26-2014 11:38 AM
RS10 540 problem tpain123 Redcat Crawlers 5 05-07-2011 10:57 PM
RS10 problem MiddleT Redcat Crawlers 5 03-02-2011 01:36 PM
problem with rs10 esc or tx/rx? fast_eddie_86 Redcat Crawlers 13 09-10-2010 02:35 PM
New Rs10 problem (maybe) tbutkus Redcat Crawlers 10 02-03-2010 12:33 PM