Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Rs10 xt rock racer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2015, 10:26 PM   #1

Default Rs10 xt rock racer

What can I do to make my rs10 xt a rock racer? I have already upgraded to steel gears do I just need faster turn motors? Also I have the hobbywing dual brushed speed control
Psychoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2015, 08:45 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Rs10 xt rock racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoracer View Post
What can I do to make my rs10 xt a rock racer? I have already upgraded to steel gears do I just need faster turn motors? Also I have the hobbywing dual brushed speed control
The problem you'll run into is actually finding fast motors that fit the thing. IMO some of the best you can get are cobalt 400's, but good luck actually finding a set. I had some once upon a time and they were a lot of fun in the RS10. You might be able to find some brushless motors that'll add some speed to the rig, but I don't know much about the brushless systems for crawlers.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the RS10 isn't that great of a platform for a rock racer. The steel gears are a good start for durability, but I'm pretty sure the dog bones won't hold up to rock racer speed and abuse, not to mention you won't be able to beef up the axles like a lot of guys do for the Axial based go-fast rigs.

Best of luck to you on the project, though.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 09:35 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

I got more speed running 3s on the stock motors but not enough to call it a "rock racer" by any stretch. Without getting creative and cutting up the axle and installing metal tubes and grafting on metal Chubs the part I broke the most were the molded in chubs. I never snapped a stock axle or tore out a stock cup but I spun out that stupid plastic spur plate a bunch of times and finally came up with a method of beefing that using a piece of allen key for the pin and JB weld in the plastic slot. That will make it more durable than stock but not enough to handle big power.

Considering that I have snapped some extremely beefed Axial shafty housings and tore up a bunch of beefed XR10 housings I would not heap scorn on the RedCat...you need all metal parts to take big power and even then I see guys tearing up VP curries in their racers. Itsy bitsy parts just are not engineered for massive loads.
MountainStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:30 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

It would probably be easier to do with the shafty redcat. Then you could put a much larger choice of motors and you'd have all the axial parts to work with.
Overkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 02:00 PM   #5
RCC Addict

a friend of mine built his 10 for speed , after about 10 min. parts were flying and breaking. you can only do so much with the 10 without putting a ton of cash into it.

when I started modding mine I could of bought 2 better rigs with the cash i put into it.
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote

Rs10 xt rock racer - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
making a rs10 into a rock racer? shaggy2112 Redcat Crawlers 19 02-08-2012 08:40 PM
Ax-10 Rock Racer or Rs10 RockSlider ridebmx48 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 18 12-07-2010 12:44 AM
Rock Racer to Rock Crawler Conversion Orgnoi1 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 9 03-06-2010 10:07 PM
Rock Crawler vs Rock Racer? KROGOTH General Crawlers 5 09-11-2009 10:46 AM