Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: pinion gear and steel gear upgrade question (in the middle of installing, pleasehelp)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2016, 08:35 PM   #1

Default pinion gear and steel gear upgrade question (in the middle of installing, pleasehelp)

I bought all new metal gears and a 8t pinion to go with them since it seems like that is a typical upgrade. However after opening up the axles the motor already has a 8t pinion on it. Is it better to have the 8t or 10t pinion? I'm also having issues with getting the one metal gear that requires screws to go through it. None of the screws will go through the gear to meet up with the plastic backing. I hope that makes sense. Should I use a drill to slightly widen the hole so the screw will go through?
Sloalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2016, 01:02 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: pinion gear and steel gear upgrade question (in the middle of installing, pleaseh

does your rs10 stall when trying to climb something steep? if so go with the 8 tooth pinions
and consider going to a 3s lipo to get some of the top end back. when you go to 3s lipo I would
recommend also using a bec to power the receiver and unplugging the red wire from the esc (the middle one)

as for the gear .... is it the same for both axles? and both metal gears?
this might be a good question for redcat racing support. in the mean time keep the plastic gears.
the metal gears add 65 grams of weight to each axle that the motors have to spin, maybe that is why they add the
8 tooth pinion hahahaaha
rarely hear about bad gears in these rs10s
cabron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:03 PM   #3

Default Re: pinion gear and steel gear upgrade question (in the middle of installing, pleaseh

I had to dill out each hole in the metal gear to a 5/32. The screws then went in no problem. what is a bec and why do I remove the red wire?
Sloalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:48 PM   #4
RCC Addict

bec = battery elimination circuit
used to regulate voltage to the receiver and other electronics. most modern escs have them built in
but often times the voltage needs to be higher and other times with a 3s lipo the built in becs
will burn up.

if you decide to use a bec and mean to increase the voltage to the receiver to power the servos
from there, we would remove the red wire from the esc to rx harness and plug the output of
the new bec to the receiver. the red wire from the esc has the power from the esc's built in bec
and would cause problems if both becs were trying to power the rx.

most servos work a lot better at a bit higher voltage. look at the servo specs, more torque and more speed
at higher voltages. depending on the servo, 6.5 to 7,5 volts will work 7.0 volts is good.

no need to cut the red esc wire it will slip out of the plug and tape it or heat shrink it to keep it
from cauasing problems.

higher battery voltage will also give you faster turning motor ( top end) in case you went with the
8t pinion and lost top end as well as stronger servo..

ask if you need more details. pms are ok
cabron is offline   Reply With Quote

pinion gear and steel gear upgrade question (in the middle of installing, pleasehelp) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pinion gear and ring gear mesh question flyboy320 Axial Wraith 18 01-09-2016 02:41 PM
Which pinion gear works best with RC4WD Steel spur gear? e32lover HPI Wheely King 8 03-10-2013 06:09 PM
Aluminum or steel pinion gear?? kodiak ak Team Losi Comp Crawler 2 05-28-2010 05:16 PM