Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Everest 10 ESC Mounting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2017, 07:53 PM   #1

Default Everest 10 ESC Mounting

Hi all,

I have an Everest 10 that I bought on a whim several months ago and it has turned out to be quite the on going project. I have a castle 1512 2650kv motor and Mamba Monster x that can swap into it from another project, but I am struggling on where to mount the ESC. The Castle motor has 6.5mm bullets to connect to the Mamba Monster X, but motor leads are not long enough to mount the ESC in the factory location ( I am awful at soldering and don't really want to attempt to lengthen the wires). Has anyone tried mounting the ESC upside own under the battery tray? I'm not super worried about the heat soak from the heat radiating back upwards, but are there other issues or concerns that I am maybe not thinking of?

FWIW the Everest 10 is currently running
SCX10 Skid
SCX10 Trans
HR Upper & Lower Suspension Links
AR60 Wraith Axles
2.2 Axial beadlocks & falken wild peak tires
HH 35T Torque Master Expert
Hobbywing 80A Brushed Crawler ESC
3S 30c Lipo
20/64 gearing

Thanks
robowarrior23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2017, 12:02 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Everest 10 ESC Mounting

Are you still using the stock chassis?
hillbillyrc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 02:47 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

I had the esc mounted on the underside for some time and had absolutely no problems! I , later on, have removed the battery/electronics tray and made a little "self" out of space age NASA plastic (or dirt cheap cutting board...) just above the front upper links and Velcro'ed esc and receiver to it. Battery (smallish 1300mah lipo) now sits on a makeshift aluminium plate next to the servo on AR60 axles..
Vagos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 06:35 AM   #4

The frame rails and the battery\esc tray are the only things that are still stock on it.

I did end up getting the ESC mounted in the factory location, but there really isn't even a millimeter or two to spare on the length of the wires. Now the problem is the diameter of the motor's can doesn't allow for the gear mesh to be set appropriately (too tight) and the right rear link had to be outboarded to even mount up and the rod end binds on the frame rail and can't flex.

I may end up putting a washer or two in between the frame rail & skid to gain the mm or two needed to set the gear mesh correctly. I'd really like to run an 80ish tooth spur in there, but that'll take up some more space and I'm having trouble locating one. I'll need to find some angled rod ends to get the link issue fixed.

in the few minutes I ran it last night, it is an insane amount of power for the rig. The plastic spur gear stripped within minutes, which I'm sure was helped along by the tight gear mesh. I think my weakest links right now are the cheap china drive shafts I got off eBay and the plastic spur gear. It's still a decent crawler, but is infinitely more fun to drive. Guess we'll see how long it lasts and what parts blow out first.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:07 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

You can send the stock axles and electronics my way if you like. Would like to build a truck for my daughter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
the_law_man01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 12:09 PM   #6

send me a PM if you're serious. I have the axles & stock motor. will have to do some searching for the ESC though. They are just taking up space and probably aren't worth the time and effort to list on eBay.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:22 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

PM sent

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
the_law_man01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Everest 10 ESC Mounting - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Everest 10 Esc? Synister_Intent Redcat Crawlers 1 01-28-2016 09:52 AM
ESC mounting ? Billybongo63 RC4WD Trail Finder 2 3 05-09-2012 11:27 PM
ESC mounting smokediver Axial AX-10 Scorpion 6 03-12-2010 09:30 PM