Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Everest 10 4ws

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2017, 06:43 PM   #1

Default Everest 10 4ws

Hi new here and to rc me and my 3 year old have been upgrading and mostly breaking stuff on are everest 10, now i want 4ws i have the servo with mount, steering link, servo wire y, and ordered a horn and servo reverse connector. If i want it to be full time 4ws do i need anything else i dont really wanna go to a new controller and dont care for the other steering options for now.
lewishut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2017, 06:47 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Everest 10 4ws

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewishut View Post
Hi new here and to rc me and my 3 year old have been upgrading and mostly breaking stuff on are everest 10, now i want 4ws i have the servo with mount, steering link, servo wire y, and ordered a horn and servo reverse connector. If i want it to be full time 4ws do i need anything else i dont really wanna go to a new controller and dont care for the other steering options for now.
The other thing I can think of is you need some way to gain steering clearance for the rear lower links. You can do this with wheel wideners, by buying an extra set of the bent links that normally go on the front, or by bending the links you have.
Smokin' Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 06:54 PM   #3
clm
Quarry Creeper

I agree on the bent links, other option is to use a slightly shorter horn so the rear has less steering then the front.

I know you don't want another radio, I guess this is just a fyi. But your stock receiver is actually a Flysky based receiver so if and when you want more, a cheap flysky gt3b/gt3c is a bind and go option.
clm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 06:55 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

It's also possible you might need an external BEC if your new servo draws too much current. I have 4ws on my son's E10 without a BEC and with no issues, but I am using two stock servos.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:42 AM   #5

I know nothing about bec but if i get a new radio then do i need the bec
Old 08-12-2017, 01:04 AM   #6
clm
Quarry Creeper

A higher torque servo can pull more amperage then the ESC can provide causing one of two things to possibly happen;

First you can brown out due to not enough power for the receiver when one or both servos are stalled.

Or, you could conceivably burn out the built in bec in the speed control or the whole speed control when the try to pull more amps.

You speed control is basically a Hobbywing Quicrun 1040 which can only supply 2 amps. Something like a castle creation 10 amp bec would be helpful in safeguarding your electronics against this. On a crawler this is even more important then a normal rc because of the frequency when a tire may be prevented from steering against rocks and obstacles when you try to turn it.
Old 08-12-2017, 04:14 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewishut View Post
I know nothing about bec but if i get a new radio then do i need the bec
You don't need a new radio if you want your 4ws to be full time. A radio wouldn't affect the need for an external BEC.
Old 08-12-2017, 05:39 AM   #8

I want something cheap but also the easiest plug and playhopefully.
This is the servo i will run front and back https://www.hobbytown.com/rssd201mg-...na0403/p501619

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
Old 08-12-2017, 09:07 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

That servo looks to have the same rated power as the stock servo, you may not need an external BEC. I'd just give it a try and see how it runs. If you run into issues, you can always add an external BEC later.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:50 AM   #10

Alright thanks
Old 08-12-2017, 02:19 PM   #11
clm
Quarry Creeper

And technically, if you ONLY run 2s lipo or 6cell nimh you could run the servo power directly from the battery and you would not need a BEC as they are rated to 7.4 volts. If you went to 3s lipo or 7 cell you would be over volt then and need a bec.
Old 08-12-2017, 02:56 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm View Post
And technically, if you ONLY run 2s lipo or 6cell nimh you could run the servo power directly from the battery and you would not need a BEC as they are rated to 7.4 volts. If you went to 3s lipo or 7 cell you would be over volt then and need a bec.
Good point.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:24 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm View Post
Is their a easy way to go about this i can cut and soder what plug ends would i need or how to make it look clean
Old 08-14-2017, 11:10 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

I hacked a servo extension lead when I bought my savox hv servo so as not screw anything on the servo's cable. Shortend the signal cable to suit and wired the + & - cables from the extension to the esc's side battery plug directly. It works perfectly and I can just unplug the servo if I want to...
Vagos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 05:44 AM   #15

Anyone know of any banana connector y with a servo plug on it.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:58 AM   #16
RCC Addict

My neighbor just purchased an Everest 10 and in looking it over it was obvious to me that 4ws was clearly an option that the manufacturer had designed into the unit. The rear axle is exactly the same as the front axle and will accept a servo the same as the front. Mechanically all you need is a drag link, servo and a few screws. Electrically I have no idea since I have not seen the owners manual but it would seem logical that RedCat provided the upgrade path both mechanically and electrically.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 01:36 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

The stock ESC will get quite toasty powering a 2nd servo. I can't say I've seen the banana splitter you're looking for, but if you still had the stock HXT 4mm plug then you could find a y-splitter and change one connector to a servo lead.

If the "servo reverse connector" is actually a signal reverser, then you should be okay there. It will reverse the steering signal for the rear servo so you won't need a new radio. Just make sure it's not powered by the same 7.4v as the servo, as most likely aren't rated for that voltage.
Hydrocarbon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:04 AM   #18

[ Potentially resurrecting this thread for a bit... ]
Hey Crawlers,
Harbinger (newb) here again.

I've got questions regarding 4WS on the E10.

I found this video...
https://youtu.be/umsMgfPz4VE?t=179
... and it seems to be mostly legit.

However... can anyone corroborate this guy?
I don't really doubt that his method works... but is it as ~elegant as it ~should be?
Anyone with functioning 4WS care to weigh in?
I'd love to see some pics of rigs that have it working.

Seems like someone would have done a ~detailed "DIY 4WS on your E10" video or instructions by now. Or... have I just not dug deep enough in the right places yet?

THANKS to anyone who replies!
harbinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Everest 10 4ws - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New everest 10 geordyn Redcat Crawlers 12 02-25-2017 08:30 PM
Everest 16 Rbranham607 Redcat Crawlers 3 09-01-2016 03:42 AM
4WS or no 4WS....that is the question Crawlster Axial Wraith 17 09-05-2012 08:51 PM