Old 11-16-2017, 04:03 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Thumbs up No $ mods gen 7 crawler

shenlonco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2017, 12:04 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: No $ mods gen 7 crawler

Good job figuring out the issues and coming up with solutions!
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 07:53 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by StomperCrawler View Post
Good job figuring out the issues and coming up with solutions!
Thanks the truck is working great now!
Old 11-17-2017, 10:17 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Do the front dogbone complain about the increased steering mod? If so then you could upgrade to CVD's/CVS/universals that come with the Pro version. They'll look something like this:
Old 11-17-2017, 12:39 PM   #5

In my steering video I went through steering upgrades and showed the limitations of the dogbones along with the increased angles with the CVAs. You do get more steering angle out of the CVAs, but not a ton. I managed to max out the CVAs too. Down the road I may try some aftermarket CVAs to get more steering.

https://youtu.be/OOMPsHpXpbg

Last edited by Jim85IROC; 11-17-2017 at 12:49 PM.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 01:55 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Do the front dogbone complain about the increased steering mod? If so then you could upgrade to CVD's/CVS/universals that come with the Pro version. They'll look something like this:
Hi I have no problems at all with the stock dog bones everything is working great.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:58 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
In my steering video I went through steering upgrades and showed the limitations of the dogbones along with the increased angles with the CVAs. You do get more steering angle out of the CVAs, but not a ton. I managed to max out the CVAs too. Down the road I may try some aftermarket CVAs to get more steering.

I don't know how your dog bones bound up my steering is moded and the tires are close to the front shock springs as much as I would want them to be anymore and they will rub when at full lock?and because they are so close they will scrub the springs if the tires flex just a bit and my dog bones are working perfectly smooth?

Here is mine worked out great no problems and no extra $ to spend...and yes you can see goop glue dabbed on the bottom shock spring holders a trick I do so you cant lose them.

Last edited by shenlonco; 11-17-2017 at 03:15 PM.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:01 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post

Jim, I watched your video and love what you did. I do have a few questions:

1) How much did the CVA universals run you?
2) Where'd you buy them?
3) In the comments you said "I think the whole axle assembly and steering components are the same (as the EVEREST-10)". If I'm reading the manuals right, the part numbers for the dogbones are different. Can you please verify these will work? If so, peeps can use GENERIC $8 CVD universals from the Scx10 OG for their Gen7s by just grinding down the ends a hair to fit into the stock lockers.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:05 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenlonco View Post
I don't know how your dog bones bound up my steering is moded and the tires are close to the front shock springs as much as I would want them to be anymore and they will rub when at full lock?and because they are so close they will scrub the springs if the tires flex just a bit and my dog bones are working perfectly smooth?

Here is mine worked out great no problems and no extra $ to spend...and yes you can see goop glue dabbed on the bottom shock spring holders a trick I do so you cant lose them.

Perhaps all dogbones are not created equal? Also, in Jim's video, I didn't see him try and run the rig with dogbones so maybe they clearance themselves. I would imagine that, given time, they might break. How much have you run yours with the steering mods? Any noticeable bumping at full turn/lock?
Old 11-18-2017, 04:59 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Perhaps all dogbones are not created equal? Also, in Jim's video, I didn't see him try and run the rig with dogbones so maybe they clearance themselves. I would imagine that, given time, they might break. How much have you run yours with the steering mods? Any noticeable bumping at full turn/lock?
Hi no problems at all ran mine about 4 miles see all my videos here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg1X...dxaokOQHG8PHg9
But here is just one of them.
Old 11-18-2017, 05:55 AM   #11
RCC Addict

That's great news for those who bought the Sport model and don't want to pay more for increased steering. Did you clearance the front of your c-hubs and use countersunk screws like Jim, or does your steering still hit the button screw that holds the c-hub on in the front? Refer to the screw below the saxophone:

Last edited by StomperCrawler; 11-18-2017 at 06:02 AM.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:10 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
That's great news for those who bought the Sport model and don't want to pay more for increased steering. Did you clearance the front of your c-hubs and use countersunk screws like Jim, or does your steering still hit the button screw that holds the c-hub on in the front? Refer to the screw below the saxophone:

Hi I left mine stock I think if I counter sink them the tires will rub shock springs because they are close right now as it is, And you probably would have to buy a new servo horn to get it to turn all the way also if you did this.

when you turn the wheel all the way you can see the spot the screw your speaking of it's outside half hits the steering knuckle by the ground nib you cut off you can mark the spot where the outside of the screw hits and then simply make a hair more notch in the steering knuckle deeper where it hits the screw it will then let it turn a bit more because the outside half of the screw head really is only hitting the steering knuckle there stopping it from turning a bit more..

I wont countersink that screw Tires will probably rub like crazy when your going on rocks and the axle flexes... I am leaving mine as is all stock and works great

Last edited by shenlonco; 11-18-2017 at 09:16 AM.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:28 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Makes sense to me. There's something to be said for not having to buy extra parts to get a rig to work right. More than that, it's fun to tinker a bit and get better performance without paying a dime!
Old 11-18-2017, 11:34 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Makes sense to me. There's something to be said for not having to buy extra parts to get a rig to work right. More than that, it's fun to tinker a bit and get better performance without paying a dime!
Right on brother!
Old 11-18-2017, 02:24 PM   #15

Quote:
Jim, I watched your video and love what you did. I do have a few questions:

1) How much did the CVA universals run you?
2) Where'd you buy them?
3) In the comments you said "I think the whole axle assembly and steering components are the same (as the EVEREST-10)". If I'm reading the manuals right, the part numbers for the dogbones are different. Can you please verify these will work? If so, peeps can use GENERIC $8 CVD universals from the Scx10 OG for their Gen7s by just grinding down the ends a hair to fit into the stock lockers.
The CVAs were $15 plus another $5 for shipping directly from Redcat. At the time I bought them, nobody else had them. Now they're on Ebay for a little less.

I can't say eith 100% certainty that the E10 parts are the same, but the chubs and knuckles are the same, and I believe the axle housings are too, so I don’t know why the dogbones would differ.

I believe that you can use SCX10 axles, but you need compatible lockers. The SCX10 shafts are smaller where they interface with the lockers.

Last edited by Jim85IROC; 11-18-2017 at 02:27 PM.
Old 11-19-2017, 06:26 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Cool; $20 isn't too bad. If you do ever get to test the Scx10 axles in it, please let us know.
Old 11-19-2017, 02:39 PM   #17

If I break the Redcat CVAs I'll look elsewhere, but I'm not too hard on my crawlers, so I'm hoping that these will survive.

No $ mods gen 7 crawler - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
More redcat gen 7 mods! shenlonco Redcat Crawlers 2 11-27-2017 08:46 PM
gen. 1 xmods crawler! :D RCMFMaxxMan General Crawlers 0 11-27-2007 05:58 PM
Gen 2 REVO Based Crawler RevoRacer Traxxas Crawlers 29 03-26-2006 04:17 PM