Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Gen 7 Pro aftermarket body?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2017, 09:23 AM   #1

Default Gen 7 Pro aftermarket body?

I just ordered 2 Pro's. One for me and one for my daughter. I was wondering if anyone had been able to fit a different body? Would really like a ram pickup but anything other than the stock body would be fine.

Also, I have done a ton of research on these rigs, And everything for the most part is positive. I ultimately went with them because I needed two and didnt want to drop a grand on 2 scx10's or Trx4's. I could have gotten 2 deadbolts, but the metal parts on the Gen7 won me over. That being said, I am still a little nervous about the purchase. The only experiience I have with redcat is my nephews Calderra 10e. And that thing is a total turd. I have spent more time working on that than all my other Rc's combined. So should I worry, or did redcat build a solid rig this time?

And FWIW, these are going to be strictly for fun. No comps anywhere close to me so just trail riding and backyard coarse crawling.
TunedUpDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2017, 08:26 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Gen 7 Pro aftermarket body?

If it were me, I'd sell the stock body on ebay or here in the Classifieds before running it. That should fund part of your RAM body. Proline brand tends to be thicker lexan. Here are some on RPP: https://www.rpphobby.com/SearchResul...brand=Pro-Line
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 09:14 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunedUpDiesel View Post
I just ordered 2 Pro's. One for me and one for my daughter. I was wondering if anyone had been able to fit a different body? Would really like a ram pickup but anything other than the stock body would be fine.

Also, I have done a ton of research on these rigs, And everything for the most part is positive. I ultimately went with them because I needed two and didnt want to drop a grand on 2 scx10's or Trx4's. I could have gotten 2 deadbolts, but the metal parts on the Gen7 won me over. That being said, I am still a little nervous about the purchase. The only experiience I have with redcat is my nephews Calderra 10e. And that thing is a total turd. I have spent more time working on that than all my other Rc's combined. So should I worry, or did redcat build a solid rig this time?

And FWIW, these are going to be strictly for fun. No comps anywhere close to me so just trail riding and backyard coarse crawling.
You should have no problem fitting a different body with little modification if you use the body clip setup (you'd have to remove the hinging mechanism)

I have a Gen7 Sport, a Pro, and the SCX10.2. It looks like the SCX10 body could swap over very easily.

I don't think you should worry. Redcat has amazing customer service, better than what I've seen from Axial and Traxxas (not to say the latter has bad service, they are still good).

I'm sure you will be genuinely surprised at the quality of the Gen7 for the low price.

These are the only knocks that I could think of for it:

1. Not a perfectly scale body (decal headlights and grill, no clear windows) but that is why the cost is kept so low. They did not try to cut costs on the chassis or anything else, which I'm glad.

2. No gear cover for the spur and pinion. A Thingiverse.com file is available and you can get the cover 3D printed for $7 and $4 shipping using a 3D printer service if you don't have a printer.

3. Stock steering might need some modification for more travel but that is pretty cheap and simple.
jlwatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 09:18 PM   #4
RCC Addict

You could also use hidden body mounting using Velcro.
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 11:29 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I wouldent worry about the durabulity of the redcats i have a blackout sct and beat the isht out of it i c9nverted it to brushless a year and a half ago and just replaced the diffs after 2 years of thrashing on the only other parts that i had to replace where the left side cv axle shafts i still have less than $200 in to it and it now has a busted up wraith cage on it perfict fit i love it lol i also have a everest 10 thats been bullet proof the plastic locker is still holding up i just lost the servo 11 months in to it i replced a bunch of stuff that dident need replacing just because i wanted to things like drive shafts rear lockouts tires shocks in a few days ago a gear started skipping in contrast the wraith cost a small.fortune and spent more time broken than running fornthe first.year and around $1000 worth of parts till i replaced almost everything and after that i got stuff i wanted and theres still a long list out of all my rigs the redcats have been the most reliable rigs i haveand parts are way cheaper than axial butt if you want you can still use the axial upgrade parts witb some minor mods
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 06:57 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies everyone. Both trucks are being delivered tomorrow. Cant wait to get my hands on them. I think I am going to order the Proline body and paint it up like my 1:1 truck. Then use the stock body for everyday crawling/bashing. I have watched enough youtube to do the steering mods, and that will get done before they ever hit the trail.
TunedUpDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:04 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

You can try JConcepts 1993 Ford F250, same wheelbase as stock Gen7 (317mm). I'll be giving that a go in the future for my Gen7 when it arrives.
ksonghasun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 04:06 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Check your wheelbase rule number one, if longer you need to shorten it vies versa
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:29 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

So, I received my Gen 7 Sport today, haven't run it BUT I managed to adjust the bumpers and body posts to try and fit my stock TRX-4 body, used the Velcro mount included for it. It worked out very well and now I have two trail D110s, his (black with clear windows) and hers (stock red). ����
ksonghasun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 06:45 PM   #10

So I have the pro and just recently put a ProLine 2009 Jeep Wrangler on it. I had to shorten the wheelbase to 300mm though to fit it. It turned out really well though.

https://imgur.com/UChOVbU

https://imgur.com/sk1Bbhg
AngryViper is offline   Reply With Quote

Gen 7 Pro aftermarket body? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Aftermarket body for AX10? twisted concept Paint and Body 3 11-07-2008 05:47 PM