Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Easy conversion to rear lockouts for Everest 10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2017, 06:58 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Easy conversion to rear lockouts for Everest 10

FYI, you can easily convert your Everest 10 to rear lockouts using parts from the Gen 7. You will need part numbers 13815 and 13816. It takes most of the slop out of the rear axle and also nets quite a few spare parts for your front axle.
Smokin' Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2017, 07:56 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Easy conversion to rear lockouts for Everest 10

That's probably worthwhile just for the sake of getting the rear tierod (anchor) out of the way.

..or you could go the other way and buy another servo mount, servo, and Y harness for cheap and easy 4ws.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 08:22 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Great info! Will make the rear axle on my Scalers look great!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
the_law_man01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 07:47 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Note that the Gen7 rear axles mentioned in first post have 5mm shaft OD, so the stock wheel hexes of the E10 won’t fit. I ordered 2 sets of both part #’s and put the parts on one of our E10 axles this evening and found the hexes don’t fit. The shafts and lockouts fit great, just gotta get some hexes that will work.
number9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 08:40 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by number9 View Post
Note that the Gen7 rear axles mentioned in first post have 5mm shaft OD, so the stock wheel hexes of the E10 won’t fit. I ordered 2 sets of both part #’s and put the parts on one of our E10 axles this evening and found the hexes don’t fit. The shafts and lockouts fit great, just gotta get some hexes that will work.
Do you have any way to compare Axial SCX10 rear axles? Maybe they'll fit? Would be nice to maintain that standard...4mm right?

the_law_man01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 05:32 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by number9 View Post
I am using some boom racing wheel wideners on the rear axle so I didn't check if the stock hexes fit. I wouldn't have guessed that would be an issue.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:30 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_law_man01 View Post
Do you have any way to compare Axial SCX10 rear axles? Maybe they'll fit? Would be nice to maintain that standard...4mm right?

Yea, I'd rather have the hexes the same size. I do have an SCX10 axle here I could tear down and check, but even if it would work, I already have these in my hands now, so not going to buy another set of axial axles. Set of hexes would be cheaper.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:14 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Any reason you couldn't just bore out the stock E10 hexes to the right size? If not, you could just get the stock Gen 7 hexes.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:16 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' Joe View Post
Any reason you couldn't just bore out the stock E10 hexes to the right size? If not, you could just get the stock Gen 7 hexes.
Yup, already looked at that. The G7 axle is about 7mm from bearing to where the 5mm shaft steps down to the 4mm threads. I have 4.5mm wide hexes that I could drill the center hole out to slip over the 5mm shaft (you'd also need to drill the wheels out too) - BUT they'd have 2.5mm gap from the face of the hex to the step down on the shaft, where the wheel nut will bottom out. Meaning the wheel nut wouldn't tighten against the wheel, and you'd have to use washers to make up the gap.

I ordered the 7mm wide hexes linked below. I *think* they should work out just right.

Aluminum Hex Hub 7mm12mm Black (4)
Old 01-12-2018, 12:38 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

So we got the above linked 7mm hexes in the other day. I had to drill the 4-5mm step down in them out, as they wouldn't slide on the axle far enough to reach the cross pins.

I measured the axle shaft OD with calipers and found the # drill bit that matched it closest (not a regular drill bit set, but a set of "Numbered Drill Bits"), so the hexes are a snug fit on the axle OD.

Also had to use a smudge longer screws in the hexes, which I had on hand anyway, so no big deal.

The result is, the axles / lockouts / hexes now fit & work perfect

Easy conversion to rear lockouts for Everest 10 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
maxstone or everest to scx10 conversion dubyas1989 General Crawlers 56 03-28-2016 09:41 AM
Everest 10 rear steer question Steelers fan 44 Redcat Crawlers 8 12-08-2015 07:18 PM
1.9 Beadlock conversion, so easy it's stupid rckjeep Tires and Wheels 68 09-22-2010 05:59 PM
Easy and cheap Axial MOA conversion. miller Axial AX-10 Scorpion 1 11-07-2009 11:00 AM
Easy Losi slider conversion 4XADICT Tamiya TLT Crawlers 20 09-13-2005 02:32 AM