Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Vendors > RPP Hobby

Notices

Thread: My thoughts on the Axial Wraith *UPDATE* 7/3 Broke

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2011, 09:57 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default My thoughts on the Axial Wraith *UPDATE* 7/3 Broke

I know there has been many posts up in regards to the new Axial WRAITH

Even so I felt so strong about this new truck I wanted to share my 1st thoughts.

I can not give an honest opinion of how it runs straight out of the box.

I knew for myself I wanted it to be fast! I opted to go with the Traxxas Velineon Extreme Brushless Power System that we currently are selling for 149.99

I chose this system because of the price point. The are the best bang for your buck. We do have better systems for more $$ But I wanted to test and run something that would not break the bank.

I did notice while installing that the motor shaft was longer and hit the spur gear cover not alowing to screw down all the way. I opted to shorten the shaft some.

I went ahead and ran the stock pinion size.

I did find that the Traxxas ESC mounted much better in the rear. No issues there.

In My opinion one of the single best mods you can do is upgrade your servo. I happened to have the JR Racing High Voltage Ultra Torque Servo
laying around at a cost of 199.99. For sure does the job but one could get away with the hitec 7955TG at 99.99

Once I got these installed I went and beat the heck out of it for around 45 minutes with a Racers Edge 5000 40c 2S Pack Only 74.99

Nothing Broke! I was jumping, tumbles 20 foot plus down hills.

I have to say this is one of the funest all around RC's I have in a long time. I have been racing for awhile now and never thought I would have a crawler/scaler what ever you want to call it, that 1 minute can crawl through the rock pile and when your off of it on flat land wheelie out of it. Fast when you want to haul ass, yet can slow it down and crawl through the creek bed.

I really only found one thing I do not like on it, that was the waterproof receiver box. Little tight getting the hex wrench to get the lid off, then when putting back together the rubber seal is a real pita to get out back in with all the wires to deal with....but I have gotten lazy in my old age

Couple things I found was it was a bit bouncy, I thinks its a combo of tire foams and shocks. I will end up getting some aluminum shocks for it and playing with different oils and springs. I really liked the feel of it with the stick weight, so I am not sure about putting aluminum wheels on it at this point. The stock tires did great all around traction wise. From slick rocks, dirt, concrete, grass. I ran it all over the place and never felt like the tires were not doing a good job.

It is by no means a race prep truck for all out speed, or not your competition rock crawler in my opinion. But I gotta say AXIAL bridged the gap of taking a crawler based truck that looks amazing and making it have a fun factor from the best of both world's

This is a must have for any rc enthusiasts coming from any side of the hobby!

With that said we taking more orders for our second shipment that we are hoping for around July 11th

Click the image and get your order in now.

Today I decided to do one change at a time. I started with Losi 4" Crawler Shocks

They were a bit shorter than the stock ones, But once installed the height seems to be just right. I used Losi 40WT shock oil with the white 1.8 springs they come with.

As you can see the form the poser shot the stance still looks great yet really helped the CG out.

The stock upper axial shock grommets fit right in place on the Losi's
Front shock

Rear

Gave it a good run, and these shocks make a huge difference! Was able to get my better half to snap off some action shots!

NEW Shoes RC4WD Mickey Thompsons

Well had a blast with the new wheels and tires. Tires worked great. Although I believe me putting these on did not help prevent the below breakage. Aluminum ones to be next mod

Last edited by RPP Hobby; 07-03-2011 at 07:34 PM.
RPP Hobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2011, 11:35 PM   #2
RCC Addict

keep the price'z to your self i dont wanna hear this for that n that for this just put them in stock n i'll BUY
chicostaxxs007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:42 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

why is the shipping so much now?
ive noticed it keeps creeping up..
ROLANDROCKSHOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:52 AM   #4
R.I.P. Chip

Great thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpp Hobby View Post
I really only found one thing I do not like on it, that was the waterproof receiver box. Little tight getting the hex wrench to get the lid off, then when putting back together the rubber seal is a real pita to get out back in with all the wires to deal with....but I have gotten lazy in my old age
I agree with you on that, that damn rubber o-ring is a pain in the ass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpp Hobby View Post
Couple things I found was it was a bit bouncy, I thinks its a combo of tire foams and shocks.
I found that a combo of moving the upper shock mounts to the inner holes front and rear, and driving the crap out of it helps this. I think once the foams and shocks break in it does great.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:03 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

July 11th. Hmmmm. Looks like I gotta get on the salesman suit to get rid of some of the rc's I have... Gotta get me a Wraith for sure. I like the dual functionality very much. I dropped the crawling scene cuz it got too boring for me, the wraith brings me back.

Tbolt meatclaws-talkatap
inkdaddy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:21 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkdaddy66 View Post
July 11th. Hmmmm. Looks like I gotta get on the salesman suit to get rid of some of the rc's I have... Gotta get me a Wraith for sure. I like the dual functionality very much. I dropped the crawling scene cuz it got too boring for me, the wraith brings me back.

Tbolt meatclaws-talkatap
This rigs gives you the ability to do some fun crawling and even more fun roosting around tearing it up!
Old 06-28-2011, 09:26 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

so how well did that combo do at slow crawling? And how did you gear it?
minnesotamudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:15 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnesotamudder View Post
so how well did that combo do at slow crawling? And how did you gear it?
I am running the stock pinion, slow crawling was fine.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:43 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Every time I do something I have more and more fun with this rig
Old 07-01-2011, 10:55 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Great write up

Love'n the wheels
XRMikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:47 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Sweet I am running the same tires, what wheels are they?
neoakaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 12:10 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Love the shoes. We will have some new wheels really soon.
Racer4Life is offline   Reply With Quote