Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Scale Accessories

Notices

Thread: scale switches?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2009, 01:25 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default scale switches?

Hi

I'm looking at how I can manually control my winch and LED lights as I only have a 3ch radio and no channels free.

Has anyone made scale switches eg for working the winch from outside of the car next to where the winch is installed? How about for LED lights? I was thinking for those to maybe have a hidden switch inside a scale box or something but I'm not sure.
mrklaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2009, 01:53 PM   #2
RCC Addict

I've seen a few people mount switches for their lights in the center console of their interior so that they look like shifter's.

Not sure on the winch though....
BigB_117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 02:40 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I just did mine up lastnight on my CC01 Defender. I used an old switch that came with one of my old Nitros, soldered the leads to the wires off the LEDs and the other side was soldered to a 9v battery plug. I mounted the switch inside the interior and its hidden from site, yet in easy access. Its also all mounted to the body, so when I take it off the chassis, there are no wires holding it to the chassis.

You could also solder the LED leads into the plug for your ESC, so when the battery is plugged in, they are always on.
blackfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 03:08 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

i used an old orginal tmaxx hand held starter box and the square plugs to control my winch. i made the wire 6ft long from the starter box to the plug. i gutted out the control box to add a dpdt switch to control direction and strapped some 2/3a batteries to it. on the bumper of the rig i used the other end of the square plug to plug into. i used a hitec 645 for the winch motor after getting rid of the pot and pcb and used only the gears and motor.
ggooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 03:36 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

There are lots of ways to do it. I used button batteries that come with the dollar store LED lights, made a tool box as a holder, and hid the switch in the lid of a little grill thingy I made, just press the grill lid and the lights are on or off.

caymin last is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 06:38 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

yeah, that hidden switch was what I had in mind for my LEDs. No idea if I can do it or not, but you never know until you try, right?

For my winch I want to do something similar, but mount a small surface-mount button painted red on a yellow winch control mounted next to the winch.

any recommendations for something I can practice on? I don't want to start cutting up my CR01 body until I'm fairly confident I won't mess it up. Can I use something like a soda bottle to drill through and mount stuff on to practice?
Old 08-08-2009, 09:34 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

on my highlift i put LED's on it this week, and i bought some small toggle switches to control them for on and off. And i mounted by taking a small sheet of aluminum and mounting the swtiches on there. Now i have a switch board where it's easy to acess but is still hidden so it looks scale

I got the idea from this build mine isn't anywhere near as clean as this: MBA Tundra tow rig

Last edited by treeafodo; 08-08-2009 at 09:40 AM.
treeafodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 10:00 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

hadn't thought about mounting underneath. Not sure where I'd put them on a CR01 but I'll have a look. And I wish you hadn't linked to an awesome Tundra build, I'm getting that itch in my wallet again...
Old 08-08-2009, 12:04 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrklaw View Post
hadn't thought about mounting underneath. Not sure where I'd put them on a CR01 but I'll have a look. And I wish you hadn't linked to an awesome Tundra build, I'm getting that itch in my wallet again...
Lol same here, same here... My plans are to change the switch board to a bed box in the back ( tool box in the bed that goes up to the back window) and put my switches in there along with the 9v i run them with
treeafodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 03:47 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeafodo View Post
Lol same here, same here... My plans are to change the switch board to a bed box in the back ( tool box in the bed that goes up to the back window) and put my switches in there along with the 9v i run them with
I wired up my lights on three circuits so that I can have them all on or just the headlights, fog lights, or tail lights. not really sure why i'd only have my tail lights on, but oh well, enough work has been put into it that it won't be undone. just connected mine to a tiny lipo since my yeah racing l.e.d.'s came with a jst connector. i mounted the switches in a bed toolbox that i made but the toolbox hasn't held up too well made out of 0.04" styrene so i'm in the process of redoing it in 0.08" but can't stop screwing it up one way or another right now. i'm using the smallest switches i could find at rat shack.
khj94704 is offline   Reply With Quote