Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Scale Accessories

Notices

Thread: scale tricks thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2007, 02:48 PM   #81
Pebble Pounder

No monumental advice, but dollar and liquidation stores are great for cheap small toys.
marmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2007, 12:42 AM   #82
RCC Addict

use RC$WD txt link mount bracket for shackles, they are longer than diaz shackles so consider them "extended length"

http://rc4wdstore.com/product_info.p...roducts_id=217
Mad4Rnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 02:52 PM   #83

Something that I think would work pretty well for a winch spool is the spool inside of a roll of film. Just take the film off of it and it's almost ready to go. Could probably mount it up on a bumper and use a pulley going to a servo so that it acts more like an actual winch. Just an idea.
whoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 06:25 PM   #84
RCC Addict

Winch fairlead.. I took a NEW stock clodbuster chrome front bumper ( that already has a molded fairlead on it), cut it out leaving a little material on both ends, drill 2 holes outside the actual fairlead, and bolt it onto whatever project you desire.
51WillysJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 06:52 PM   #85
Quarry Creeper

Here's a great way to make scale mud flaps...

Take an old bike tire and cut a strip as wide as you want it to be, then cut the loop apart. I used a knife razor blade and set it where i wanted to be cut. I then used a heavy tool to tap the top and it cut a strait clean line where i wanted it. This is the shape i wanted mine....

Seeing as the rubber has a tenancy to curl i cut some pieces of metal to bolt to the bottom for weight...

Used a wire brush to clean up to bare metal and painted...

I just glued mine to the back side of my bumper....

And here's the finished product. I used a leather punch to get nice round hole's, and used 4-40 hardware to mount.

Looks great, and is actually flexible unlike any others i've ever seen built. Easy, cheap and looks/acts just like 1:1
rockwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 06:50 AM   #86
I wanna be Dave

Offset hpi stock car wheels...

you will need

Hpi stock car wheel

Stock tlt wheels ( or an extra set of hpi wheels )

tools:

Something to cut them with ( I prefer a jewlers saw )

CA or epoxy

And a pair of small side cutters

Sand paper and a flat surface

First you cut your hpi wheel inside the bead as shown, do the backside first and then the cut closest to the wheel face. The one closest to the face will still hang on from the little splines, a pair of side cutters will set them free (see bottom of picture)

also cut the bead off the back side of your tlt wheel, you have some room to play here, you can cut it right at the bead or a little farther in, depending on how much offset you want. (top right of picture)

discard the center of the HPI wheel, and the front of the tlt..

Take all your wheel peices and place them on a flat surface, and sand at the parts you will glue, to make sure they are flat

then assemble in order shown

when done you will have a wheel like this

on this truggy I cut the tlt wheel closer to the bead, for less offset, and a narrower wheel

on the blazer i used an extra set of hpi wheels to use the inside bead to create an all black wheel

Last edited by XSRCdesign; 03-28-2008 at 08:52 PM.
XSRCdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 01:11 PM   #87
Pebble Pounder

dont have any pics, but i can post ideas, really neat stuff on here, scaling is really not new to me as a kid we were doing things like this to models 30yrs. ago, but you can take plastic round coat hangers &cut &heat them on an electric stove or your own heat source to make a rollbar, or rollcage, most of then are molded in white, or black, they can easily be drilled &screwwed together w/small screws, also old plastic quart oil juggs, or gallon antifreeze juggs, can be cut trimmed to make whatever you desire ,bedcovers, interior scale ,platform. etc. since they come in all colors black, red, yellow, blue, i could sit &dream up stuff all day, isnt it fun. hope this gives someone some ideas. thanks.
rctrucknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 11:48 PM   #88

Almost hate to give this one away, kind of my little secret

The lenses from a 2 cell AA sized maglite are make the perfect light buckets/lenses. These fit my proline fj40 (and tamiya mini cooper if anyone is in to that) bodies exactly. seems to be the perfect 1/10th scale equivlent to a 7" round headlight. Also great for light bars, etc. Oh yea, you usually have to drill out the hole to fit 5mm LEDs.

You can get them at www.flashlightking.com The part #:108-038. They are a buck a piece.

They also sell smaller ones for the 2 cell AAA flashlights but i have not ordered any yet so i am not sure on the exact size of those. They also seem to be a little shallower, probably better for light bars and roof racks.

crawler dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:22 PM   #89
Quarry Creeper

the grease splash shields that are sold to cover frying pans have a mesh on them that closely match a 1/10 scale mesh for grills and other things. I used one to put a mesh grill in a street Jugg that I built a number of years ago.
flatfender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 11:04 AM   #90
Rock Crawler

Default Roll Bar/Cage Padding

I was looking around for some padding for my rig. I found some Nerf Sonic Micro Darts at WalMart. Cut the tip off. And make a little cut all the way across the dart to fit over your bars. Then I just put electrical tape around the roll bar to hold it in place.

Padding cost is about 5 bucks for ten sticks. I needed 2.5 bags to do mine.
SMFtwstdHICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 11:12 AM   #91
Pebble Pounder

Hey guys came across this site the other day full of tips and tricks that we can use. It's based off of car modeling but some good stuff can be crossed over to trucks, check it out . . . .
http://www.briansmodelcars.com/tutorials/tutorial/56
RockMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 12:15 PM   #92