Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Scale Accessories

Notices

Thread: Trailer axles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2009, 07:20 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Trailer axles

I thought I would post these here since trailers could be considered a scale accessory. Please move the thread if it is in the wrong place. Sorry.

I am building a boat trailer and thought I would share my axles here. They were cheap, extremely easy, and look scale as well. Feel free to copy them if you want. If anyone is interested in making these axles I used Dubro part# 614 1-1/4"x5/32" Dia. E/Z Adjust Axle and the tube is K&S stock# 136 Rd Brass Tube 13/32x.014, and the flat stock I used was also K&S 1/4 inch wide. The collets were also Dubro 5/32", I already threw away the package on those though, so I don't have the part number.

Ok here is how I did them. I found these EZ axles in the plane section of my LHS. Be sure to cut your tube to the length you want before you start mounting the axles in the tube. Here is the order I assembled them.

The EZ axles use a set screw to hold the shaft in. The set screw when fully tightened does not sit flush so I used this to my advantage. I marked out where I wanted them in the tube and drilled a 1/8" hole in the end of the tube. After drilling the hole the axle slides in and you run the set screw through the tube and into the axle housing. When it's completed it looks very clean.

I used a 5/32" collet on the other end to keep the wheel on. It was easier than cutting threads on the shaft and I think it also looks cleaner than having a nut there. If you plan on using TC wheels like I did, take a plastic hex and keep it in the wheel, this will keep it from wobbling side to side, or you can find a bearing that fits and use that.

When you mount them, however you choose to, make sure to mount them with your set screws facing down that way it will be easy to take the tires on and off if you choose. Not including the wheels, I spent about $8.00 per axle, not very expensive at all. I hope you guys can find these useful. I couldn't find any specific way to make trailer axles so I thought I would put mine out there to help somone else.

Last edited by dont slow down; 09-07-2009 at 07:23 AM.
dont slow down is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2009, 08:55 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

those are some nice axles. now i need a trailer too. lol. need something to tow the quad and later on a boat
RobCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 01:04 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Default Trailer Axles

Can't wait to see the finish product.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 02:43 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Finished my boat trailer that I made these axles for.

Old 12-05-2009, 07:26 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

did you use bearings in the back of the wheels if so what size or part number gettin ready to order the parts to build me some of these axles
passinby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 07:43 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Now you need a pic with boat and truck:-P
CUSTOMHILUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 02:29 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by passinby View Post
did you use bearings in the back of the wheels if so what size or part number gettin ready to order the parts to build me some of these axles
The bearings I used didn't actually fit the axle, I used them more for spacers. Those axle shafts fit the hole in a TC3 wheel and that's what my wheels actually ride on. If you want to find a bearing that fits you would be on your own. I find that just the wheel on the axle works fine as is but if you want bearings for longer life it would'nt be a bad idea.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:45 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Old 12-09-2009, 04:39 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

CUSTOMHILUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 06:02 PM   #10
RCC Addict

They look great Just one thing how did you tighten the collet with the wheel on? It looks as though the set screw is covered, or is that just from camera angles?

Kieren
Aussie Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:10 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Nerd View Post
They look great Just one thing how did you tighten the collet with the wheel on? It looks as though the set screw is covered, or is that just from camera angles?

Kieren
You are right, the set screw on the collet is not accessable. What I did was tighten the set screw onto the axle shaft, slide it through the wheel, and then slid the axle into the tube and tightened it down with the setscrew on the axle tube. A little tricky to explain but you can figure it out by looking at the parts.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:26 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

So basically you installed in reverse,sliding the wheel onto the axle far enough to allow the collet to stick out to be tightened and then worked backwards towards the back of the wheel and axle.
kuatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 05:30 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Sweet axles.
stelerzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:34 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

This is exactly what I was looking for. Now I just have to add some leaf springs in there somehow and I've got myself a perfect scaler trailer!

G.S.R.C.C
xwaxeboardersx is offline   Reply With Quote