Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Scale Accessories

Notices

Thread: waterproof motor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2010, 04:10 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Exclamation waterproof motor

i thought of a cool idea take a larger pill box and saw off the neck and take a balloon and cut hole place behind pinion and stretch over pill box and if you wanted too you could wrap in electrical tape and cut small hole in pill box and create fitting and have a REAL snorkel going outside and have it mounted
i am thinking of making a prototype tomarrow and pics
if it work i might copyright it
crawlmaster18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2010, 07:10 AM   #2
RCC Addict

I guess this would only apply to brushless motors or people doing heavy mudding with brushed motors since water doesn't effect a standard brushed motor.

What type of motor are you running?
860Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 11:14 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

i run a brushed on my comp but brushless on my scaler and its a REAL snorkel
Old 03-28-2010, 07:11 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlmaster18 View Post
i thought of a cool idea take a larger pill box and saw off the neck and take a balloon and cut hole place behind pinion and stretch over pill box and if you wanted too you could wrap in electrical tape and cut small hole in pill box and create fitting and have a REAL snorkel going outside and have it mounted
i am thinking of making a prototype tomarrow and pics
if it work i might copyright it

good idea!!! i got my esc and threw it into a water proof box and got a pen tube from a bic pin and drilled a hole in my box and shove it in there and used vaseline and sealed it up.. .but never installed it
shadowrejects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 11:10 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Exclamation

starting the proto
Old 03-29-2010, 07:24 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Nice. little mod.

But I thought brushless was already waterproof?? I know the Castle 2200KV is water proof...and I know my Velineon motor is waterproof (and it's NOT The newer one..it's the older Velineon motor with the silver end)
Shadow Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:33 AM   #7
RCC Addict

I don't know, need some clarification. I thought that they were not waterproof... Or maybe most people are speaking of the brushless ESC when they say brushless is not waterproof?
860Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:41 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Just my 2 cents. Just last week my son burnt up one of his TRAXXAS Titan 12t motor due to water, The water itself dont hurt the motor, but all the dirt and grim in it dose. if you dont clean up the motor good enough then it will take a crap on ya. His stampede was doing great, Just doing some speed runs up and down the road and then it just stopped dead in its tracks and quit working!
Twiztid Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 04:12 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 860Crawler View Post
I don't know, need some clarification. I thought that they were not waterproof... Or maybe most people are speaking of the brushless ESC when they say brushless is not waterproof?

it's the ESC i think that isn't waterproof for the most part. beause I watched a youtube video on how to waterproof your MMM ESC...and he didn't do anything to the motor and dropped it in a glass of water and it ran just fine...the MMM ESC is water resistant from the factory...so I think that motors in general are "waterproof"

Last edited by Shadow Fox; 03-30-2010 at 04:28 PM.
Shadow Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:39 PM   #10

great idea. i wonder how it would do with heat? I want to see this rig with a snorkel. how does that hold up?
bigd003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:00 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Question

From what I've read the brushed motors are mostly ok with water/mud...again, as long as you clean them up afterward.

Most of the mud builds I've seen go brushed or with the Traxxas bl VXL system.

Brushless - I think they're pretty much waterproof as well but I think the big difference is sensored vs sensorless. I remember reading that the sensored motors are NOT waterproof at all and will give up the smoke after just a little water. Sensorless motors are much more water resistant from what I've read.
brianw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:19 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

Default water proof or not...

this is how it works. brushed motors are DC motors like what you might find in your 1:1 car and DC motors are able to get wet when runing them. Eventhough the vxl systems claim to be waterproof you still want to avoid submerging it. the motor is in fact more resistant than the esc but still a good idea to keep it as dry as possible. When it comes to the Monster system the motor is just like the traxxas one and can get wet but the esc cannot. I know there is some guy on youtube somewhere showing all of you how to goop your esc up with sticky crap to "water proof" it but in my opinion for the cost of the esc I would avoid this mod as well as water. You guys are right in saying that senored BL motors are not waterproof, and most if not all sensorless motors are. so run a vxl esc with any sensorless motor you want to basically. I like to run an outrunner from a plane with my vxl esc. just my info thought i would share it. took alot of OOPS's to figure this out so hope this saves all of you some money.
IbeenHalved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 02:28 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

got the proto done its awesome but no pic yet still testing and it does great with heat and everything it took me a while because i would always forget ballon at the grocery store ill see if it will let me uploads pic yet
Old 04-10-2010, 02:30 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

i am running a stock motor off a tamiya clod buster with some esc i found laying around with a traxxas summit tranny
Quote:
Originally Posted by 860Crawler View Post
I guess this would only apply to brushless motors or people doing heavy mudding with brushed motors since water doesn't effect a standard brushed motor.

What type of motor are you running?
Old 04-16-2010, 07:28 AM   #15
Looking for new Trails

Any update and pics yet
yoda@4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 08:40 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

yeah its made i cant post pics it wont let me at all tried photo buvket and no it kinda works but it barley fits i any car its huge so i need to make it smaller but the ballon would leak and it would fill with water