Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Scale Accessories

Notices

Thread: Pro-Line Scale Tool Aging or Distressing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2010, 09:57 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Pro-Line Scale Tool Aging or Distressing

I know I have seen some posts on how to make these look used. I am willing to give it a shot on my own but the post I read was great. I have searched for it with no luck. Any ideas? Specifically the Axe, Pry, Shovel and Jack. I think I have the Cooler figured out, dropped enough off the back of my jeep to have great examples.

If no one can find it, my thoughts were to groove the handles on the tools, darkened for grain then brown to make it look like wood. Paint the Axe head party silver to show a sharpening patch and then use sandpaper to randomly scrape the edges of the shovel and pry and paint up to show some rust with silver wear. I am clueless on the Jack.
neillarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2010, 12:13 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Ge a brown sharpie and a silver paint sharpie. Thats all i did to mine. The brown goes on after you scuff the items, with a 60 grit sand paper to "grove" them then run the brown over that. Wipe it with your finger or rag before it all dries and use the silver as "new" marks all the way to the bare metal it looks sweet I did that on all the items including the jack.
Hope this helps
ynmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 08:21 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Here's my thread on this very subject!

First try at weathering...
chops1sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 04:10 PM   #4

as per other ideas and doin something more hands on (LITERALLY!! LOL) i first grooved the shovel, axe and pry bar edges randomly with a exacto blade "dented" the axe and shovel with a miniature round file, scuffed the surfaces and first with a chizel p art brush i blended black, silver, white, brown all in small anoubts, smeared with fingers to lsave minimal then i used another brush just with thinner, to blend everything, then used silver and black swirled with brush, knocked the shine doeh with testors matts spray.. for the handles i used dark brown, make a tannish brown with added white, brush the tannish brown first then drybrush the brown, i went back and randomly notched the handles then dabbed dark brown in them dabbing excess, came out really cool, another technique is to paint in brown, the mix brown and white for tan, dab ur finger, ona scratch paper roll ud finger like a fingerprint print, once ur fingertip print shows, run your fingerin a wrapping motion around handle, POOF a unique grain print, no one will be the same..
jayboogie is offline   Reply With Quote