Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Scale Accessories

Notices

Thread: Dummy winch how to?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2011, 11:28 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Dummy winch how to?

I just busted my rc4wd winch for the 2 time. Since I want to have a real strong winch I was thinking of using it as a dummy winch and use a high torque model servo as the real puller. Now I was thinking on how to place the cable on the dummy winch. If I pass the cable for more than one turn on the spool even if it turns wouldn't this affect the power of my winch?
Any example with pictures would be gladly appreciated.
norbyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2011, 11:37 PM   #2
www.team3sixrc.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbyx View Post
I just busted my rc4wd winch for the 2 time. Since I want to have a real strong winch I was thinking of using it as a dummy winch and use a high torque model servo as the real puller. Now I was thinking on how to place the cable on the dummy winch. If I pass the cable for more than one turn on the spool even if it turns wouldn't this affect the power of my winch?
Any example with pictures would be gladly appreciated.
Yeah, just wrap a line around the spool and run the cord for your servo winch through it. It doesnt have to turn.
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:15 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

you realize that is 2 cables. one you wrap around the dummy spool and glue, tie, or whatever. The other goes over the top of the spool.
El Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:29 AM   #4
RCC Addict

It wont take away any power just running the line from the servo through the spool area of the winch unless it causes a bunch of drag or bind line. Use 2 lines. One wrapped around the winch spool (non functioning) 1 functioning line to the servo. Dont wrap the servo line around the spool just to get the spool to spin.
KBrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:33 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Ok I think I got the idea... the spool will be full of cable but is just there for looks, the actual working cable is going to go under (or over) the spool.... Such an easy solution that I couldn't come up with... thanks to all...
norbyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:10 AM   #6

I left the line on my broken winch and drilled a hole right through the center of the spool, slid in a short sized piece of plastic receiver antennae tube and fed the new line from the servo winch trough it.

It looks like the winch line coming right off the spool, it has no chance of binding between the old line, it can't hop around and get stuck on something by laying atop it or under it and I have no chance of spooling in too far and getting my hook or line jammed up above or below the spool.

Hope my $.02 helps ya
THX_138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:18 AM   #7

good ide'rs guys
PistonHead is offline   Reply With Quote