Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Scale Accessories

Notices

Thread: Styrene

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2011, 11:50 PM   #1

Default Styrene

I purchased some large sheets of styrene recently along with a couple styrene scissors, emery boards, glue weld and paints. All I've made so far is a dining room chair...not an accessory but I wanted to test it out before actually trying something.

I'd like to see what people have made! I've looked through several areas of this site and have yet to see a thread dedicated to Styrene, which I think is some amazing stuff.

Does anyone know where any tutorials can be found? Any tips and tricks you recommend? Any easy accessories that you just loved to build? Any pieces you want to show off?
gijen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2011, 09:46 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Here's a trailer that I made for my 1/6th scale jeep, the bed is completely fabbed from styrene.

BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:18 AM   #3

Wow that's a lot of detail! Looks like the back folds down and everything, noice!!!
Old 04-13-2011, 12:34 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijen3 View Post
I purchased some large sheets of styrene recently along with a couple styrene scissors, emery boards, glue weld and paints. All I've made so far is a dining room chair...not an accessory but I wanted to test it out before actually trying something.

I'd like to see what people have made! I've looked through several areas of this site and have yet to see a thread dedicated to Styrene, which I think is some amazing stuff.

Does anyone know where any tutorials can be found? Any tips and tricks you recommend? Any easy accessories that you just loved to build? Any pieces you want to show off?
I see you did not mention purchasing the square or round styrene tubes. Those are essential to building. you can split the square tubes and make "L" brackets in order to glue two flat at a 90 degree angle or you can use them as supports.

Here is a link i found. They sell a book on Styrene Modeling.
http://www.evergreenscalemodels.com/Book.htm

Here are a few pics.

speaker box

Lobonyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:58 PM   #5

LOL wow do those speakers really work?! That's awesome.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:30 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijen3 View Post
LOL wow do those speakers really work?! That's awesome.
WHAT?!?! DO THEY?!?! My wife wishes I never purchased them!

They are loud, clear and self amplified. They are about 10 bucks a piece.

They expand and compress like an accordion. When expanded you will get some nice bass to your sound. They are laptop speakers and work really really cool. I spliced and joined each of the speaker wires and to one headphone jack. That was then connected to a small MP3 player.

http://www.staples.com/Omnitech-Mini...product_810808

My Axial Bronco has become "THE BOOMING BRONCO" due to the speakers, hahahahahaha.

Old 04-13-2011, 02:08 PM   #7

LOL that's freaki'n awesome. I've thought about putting an ipod in mine but I need to get a roof rack first. I've got an Axial Scorpion, gonna put a tube body on it with a roof rack ;P. I love all the little accessories in yours, so awesome! Seeing all this makes me excited to do more with mine, little guy's still so new .
Old 04-13-2011, 07:35 PM   #8
Defy Gravity

small toolbox

large back of the truck box

Packer 45 box. this thing was a pain in the ass the way i did it, with never be doing it like that again.

another shot of that packer 45, the paint effect was exactly what i was going for, and was as easy as a clogged nozzle

group shot, there is the white fuel tank in the back as well.

so far the project is shelved until after i move and possibly longer, as its going to have to be a full hardbody custom build on my part, which takes massive amounts of time and effort. i've already got probably 3 hours in the drop bed alone. its shelved because everything is built true 1/10 scale, and nobody makes a 1.55 tire that would look right under it in the right size, and i will not run 1.9's, i'm not a fan of the big wheel look in real life and if i'm putting that much effort into it, i'm not going to put parts i don't want on it. hindsight is 20:20 on this one, should have built it a bit bigger from the start to be able to pick a wheel and tire from the get go. i have a lot of hours in it already, and while i should go after building it again to get rid of the materials i used originally (home depot clear styrene, when its the only option it works, but is brittle) the time i have invested would be for naught then. next time i suppose.

thats the inspiration for this build, its the field service pickup for our combine work, after dad passed on, it turned into my daily driver. without 1500-2000 lbs of fuel and tools of course.

Last edited by ghtpdm5; 04-13-2011 at 07:42 PM.
ghtpdm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghtpdm5 View Post
so far the project is shelved until after i move and possibly longer, as its going to have to be a full hardbody custom build on my part, which takes massive amounts of time and effort. i've already got probably 3 hours in the drop bed alone. its shelved because everything is built true 1/10 scale, and nobody makes a 1.55 tire that would look right under it in the right size, and i will not run 1.9's, i'm not a fan of the big wheel look in real life and if i'm putting that much effort into it, i'm not going to put parts i don't want on it. hindsight is 20:20 on this one, should have built it a bit bigger from the start to be able to pick a wheel and tire from the get go. i have a lot of hours in it already, and while i should go after building it again to get rid of the materials i used originally (home depot clear styrene, when its the only option it works, but is brittle) the time i have invested would be for naught then. next time i suppose.
I've seen a few people that have needed to extend cabs or things like that, and they cut an end off and build an 'extension' of styrene to make them a bit longer, is there anyway you could do something like that with your tool box? The divots and shape of the tool box, well both of them actually, look pretty challenging so good job!
Old 04-14-2011, 10:52 AM   #10
Defy Gravity

easier said than done, its a complete redo on everything if i were to build it to a tire, no way to get around it. all dimensions are dead on 1/10th as it sits, and lengthening one direction would make the others shorter. i've thought long and hard about this one. depends on how bored i get after moving to arizona really on if this project will grind foward as is, or if it will get a dimensional redo.
ghtpdm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:25 AM   #11

It's amazing how much time it all takes. If it's dead on in the measurements, I'd try to leave it alone as you said, then it's as close to the real one as possible =). Good Luck!
Old 04-19-2011, 05:05 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Here is a trailer I have been working on

mp3ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:54 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3ranger View Post
Here is a trailer I have been working on

wow, talk about detail...that's impressive. Do you have a build thread going? I'd like to watch this come together.
pike2350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:23 PM   #14
RCC Addict

One of my all time fav styrene scratch builds:

Build thread:

1.9 Willys Jeep Pickup project!

Most of the pics are gone now but there's enough left to give you an idea of what can be done with a lot of skill and patience.
DonsATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:52 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

I've made a couple things out of styrene. Only useful advice I can give is, try making something small like a toolbox or cooler for practice. Once you master the ruler and knife you can build anything you want, seriously.

Best part about styrene is the price, you can make stupid things like this for less than a dollar. No real reason to have it, I just wanted to make it
pardonmyn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:39 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by pardonmyn00b View Post
I've made a couple things out of styrene. Only useful advice I can give is, try making something small like a toolbox or cooler for practice. Once you master the ruler and knife you can build anything you want, seriously.

Best part about styrene is the price, you can make stupid things like this for less than a dollar. No real reason to have it, I just wanted to make it
LOL THAT is epically awesome.

I think I'm going to try out a cooler, and I'd definitely have to have it with a functioning lid, and maybe buy some little foodz to go in it =P. I love how miniature and cute everything is!
Old 04-21-2011, 04:02 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

where do you guys get your styrene? all my local stores dont have any
BrandonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 05:44 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJames View Post
There's Amazon but the wait is kind of ridiculous. I got mine here from a Plastics Warehouse...I'd google plastic warehouse for your area =), they are MUCH cheaper than the RC stores, ridiculously.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:58 AM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJames View Post
I purchase styrene as well as polycarbonate sheets from Utrecht art supplies.

They also have balsa wood, bass wood, and plywood sheets. I've used wood on both my wreckluse and axial bronco. I found it easier to work with wood and CA, since it bonds quicker than the styrene.

The polycarbonate sheets are great for making extra body panels for the Wreckluse. I've kept the original panels as my masters and make copys of them from the polycarbonate sheets.

BTW they sell CA and the styrene bonding agent as well.

Hope this helps.

http://search.utrechtart.com/index?D...=0&Ntt=styrene
Old 04-24-2011, 07:09 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Yup! with a little patience and imagination, you can make just about anything with styrene. Like these....

caymin last is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
accessories, build, scale, styrene, tutorial