Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Scale Accessories

Notices

Thread: Another trailer build, but slightly different... Tilt bed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 08:36 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Another trailer build, but slightly different... Tilt bed.

So, I started tro build a trailer... Not much to see yet, right now it's just a 19"x10.5" rectangle made out of 1/2"x1/2" square steel tubing.

But what's that down there in front of the wheels? It's the beginning of the hinged tongue.

Because when I'm done it should do this:

I decided to build one like this because A: I haven't seen anyone do one like this yet, and B: I have a coule on-road cars and a fixed-deck is hard to drive them on and off of due to the super-low ride height. At least this way, it MIGHT be possible.

When finished, I plan on adding Wraith/EXO taillights, a wood deck, leaf springs with center rocker, a mount for a 3Racing winch, a working screwjack, spare tire mount, and the coolest thing will be it should (if I can get it to work) be self-tilting. I plan on adding a spring-loaded catch for the deck, and setting up a TLT (or similar) shock with a heavy internal spring and some very heavy oil in it. Then I'm going to dress it out like a hand-pump hydraulic ram. The idea being when the deck catch is pulled, the spring-loaded "ram" will tilt the deck in a slow, controlled manner, like a gas ram lifts a hatchback.

Right now I'm trying to locate a recoil spring to make leafs, some 1/4" square rod for railings and suspension mounts, and something suitable for wood decking.

Stay tuned!
JavelinSST390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2012, 07:06 AM   #2

Default Re: Another trailer build, but slightly different... Tilt bed.

You have a nice idea with your build. Please keep the pictures coming as you build.
tigerhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:08 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Looking forward to this! I hope you can get everything to work like you want because that would be pretty slick. I have a dovetail flatbed trailer for a few of my cars. I have done many of the things you want (spare tire mount, working tongue jack, lights etc) and you might find some of my pics helpful. Here is the thread if you are interested: DSD's Tundra build thread w/ trailer **NEW PICS 5-17** - RCCrawler.com Bulletin Board Trailer pics start at the bottom of page 2.
dont slow down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:11 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Got a little more done on the crawler hauler today. Working on adding railings all around the deck, made from 3/16" Square solid stock. Also got materials for making axles, leaf springs, and hangers, now working on the logistics of designing the suspension for the thing.

But I ran out of Safety-silv so now I gotta wait a week for Linweld to stop by so I can get more.

Anyway, a little update pic:
Old 11-05-2012, 07:16 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

More progress. Picked up a couple more scale items for the trailer. (okay, I already had the winch, Ordering a RC4WD Bulldog to go on the trailer.)

Finished the left-side railing, need to re-heat and fix a couple of the posts...

Working on fitting up the tongue "legs". I figured 8.5" from the cross-bar in front of the hinges would be enough, but I need to make the pieces longer. Should get those made and brazed in place tomorrow, then back to finishing the railing. The Tractor Supply Toolbox is perfect for a box to hold tie-downs, straps, and chains, plus it'll house the batt. for the winch and the winch controller.

And a pic with my Monster Drift car just for size ref.

T

Last edited by JavelinSST390; 11-05-2012 at 07:39 PM.

Another trailer build, but slightly different... Tilt bed. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ford bed trailer sandblaster87 General Scale Talk 10 05-15-2009 10:36 PM
Chevy trailer bed Crawln Coles 1.9 Scale Rigs 5 10-15-2008 08:05 AM
DTP's Tilt Deck Trailer DISTURBIN' tha PEACE Scale Accessories 32 06-28-2007 04:48 AM
tilt deck trailer DISTURBIN' tha PEACE Videos! 13 11-17-2006 03:57 AM