Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Scale Accessories

Notices

Thread: Scratch built trailer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 07:18 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Scratch built trailer

Howdy

I have never built anything with styrene before this - so it has been a learning experience, but fun!

After seeing some trailers in videos posted here and on youtube, I liked the idea, and looked around here to see what folks had done. Some pretty impressive work here thats for sure! I dont have a welder, so I figured that styrene would be the way to go for me.

I spent some time designing it in my head - and arrived on the idea of leaf springs while browsing the classified section. Snatched those up - but was thwarted by the brutish handling of the lovely USPS. And all I got in the mail was a shredded, empty envelope... really? Why even bother delivering the shredded empty envelope?? At any rate, the person I bought it from was cool about it - but I was stuck on the leaf springs, so ordered a set from rpp and started building.

I take tons of pics - so only posting some of the more recent ones. Still not done, more work for sure - but its at a point that it looks close to what I had in my head - and I have done some more since the last pics here - need to snap a few more.

Pics:

Rear view of the leafs

Underside view

Showing it centered

Suspension flex!

And to the other side

Mounted up/test fit to my Dingo

Some scale bits put inside on the side rack inside I built, and on the front shelf

Tow rope I made on the front hanger, with scale axe.

Let me know if you want to see any of the earlier stages - thought they were probably less interesting over all.

If you have any questions or whatever - fire away!
Thanks!
B94Cast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2012, 07:22 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Scratch built trailer

Excellent job...what thickness did you use for the floor and sides..I'm planning on doing one for my Mog but no clue on any thicknesses for the parts..Great job..love the acc on it too. Thanks for sharing!

JC
DieselJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:31 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Thanks DieselJC
I used .080 on the floor, and .060 on the sides - but varying thicknesses for the rest of the parts. Just eyeballed most of it and started building - haven't done this before, but seems to have worked out pretty well - quite sturdy, I'm not concerned about it being able to take mild beatings on the trails. But still need to finish off a few more bits, then primer, paint, and then trails!
Old 10-25-2012, 05:07 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

A few updates - made some light buckets for the trailer.
I also hand made a Jerry can to go on the trailer - that was fun...
When styrene is thinner like the small pieces I was using for it, it's more susceptible to distort - was using some really small 1/4 round for the edges, I'm sure there is a trick to it that I haven't discovered however.
But for my first go at it, turned out not too bad. . Just primed in the shot below, will hopefully have the final paint done on the Jerry can tonight.

Adding some conduit on the sides for the wiring coming down from the light buckets and some minor other things, then I think it's close to paint!

Thanks!
Old 10-25-2012, 07:18 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Really do like that trailer..not overly fancy but just right amount of added accessories and size.
oh and the jerry can looks great!

JC
DieselJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:25 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I love it...looks like its well built and should have no problems on the trail. How did you set up your axle,can't quite make out the pics showing the axle and how the wheel hubs are setup.
kuatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:46 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Thanks!
I got the Jerry can finished up mostly, will get the last touches done tomorrow and post a pic.
The wheel hubs are mounted to the leafs directly, with the metal axle tying the two together for lateral support and linking the two together. Will try to get a closer pic tomorrow for it if you would like.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:03 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Howdy!

I made some more progress - I am really enjoying this!

I finished up the major building parts and got some of the painting done. I added lighting, and conduit for the lighting to hide the wires as well. Now I am tossing around ideas on a hook-up line for attaching the brakes/signals to the pulling truck.

Some pics:

I finished up the Jerry can. I like how it turned out all things considered.

Added a bed liner - its a thicker textured plastic to protect the bottom.

Somewhat hard to see, but the LED lighting for the trailer.

I built the LED directly into the housing. Took some dremel work to get the LED to fit completely - but the result is good. You can also make out the side conduit for the lighting wiring.

Now its just some more detail work, lighting plugs for the truck to trailer connections, and finalizing a few bits - will hopefully post some pics soon of the next steps.

Thanks!
Old 10-28-2012, 11:18 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Howdy
I got some more work done on it, and took it for a quick run around the back yard.

If you look close in a few, you can see the incomplete wiring hookup - will have that completed today more than likely, along with some more misc work on it.

Thanks!
Old 10-29-2012, 08:05 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Howdy
I got the trailer out on the trail finally!
It was fun, and quite a different experience when you are towing a trailer! It made things a bit more fun due to challenges presented by the trailer, and how to negotiate certain areas.
Before I went out, got a bit more work done on the trailer, and finished the hookups for the truck and the trailer. Set it up with a plug on each side, so its just a matter of plugging in the lights to the truck, attaching trailer, and off for some fun!
I did discover some design flaws while out... But, I had expected there to be a couple - so no worries. Most were around the hubs mounting to the leaf springs - the rest were fairly incidental.
I have those design flaws repaired now, ready to go hit the rocks again!

Some pics from the first real trail run!

Working on some more detail work tonight, its really coming along nicely!

Thanks!
Old 10-31-2012, 11:26 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Came out looking great...any chance of flipping it over to see the suspension setup,I think I know how you done it but am not 100%,would have to see in a clear shot....
I started to gather all materials to start on my own once I complete a cc-01 rig to tow it,may use the old Bronco shell I have.
kuatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:29 AM   #12

Nice work very scale!

You have SNOW already?... Or are those old pictures?

THX_138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:18 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuatto View Post
Came out looking great...any chance of flipping it over to see the suspension setup,I think I know how you done it but am not 100%,would have to see in a clear shot....
I started to gather all materials to start on my own once I complete a cc-01 rig to tow it,may use the old Bronco shell I have.
Thanks!
Will grab a pic tonight and post it up for you.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:20 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX_138 View Post
Nice work very scale!

You have SNOW already?... Or are those old pictures?

Thanks! I am still doing updates on the looks - hoping to continue it further does the scale looks area.
And yes - snow already!
Old 11-01-2012, 02:58 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfast View Post
Looks great, love the military star!
Thanks!
I was browsing images from WWII and that particular one stuck out as one I thought would fit with the style I was after. Not perfectly done - my hand isnt quite as steady as I wished it was sometimes.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:10 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Snapped a few pics, one for Kuatto, the other two just because I was taking pics and had not displayed parts of the updates - mainly paint, and a slight redesign on the axle housing mount to the springs.

Still need to tidy up the wiring harness to the conduit underneath here. I am also probably going to paint the metal axle portion black - not sure yet. Kuatto - does this give you the detail you were after?

Side view to see some of the updated paint details.

The wiring hookup going into the truck. I am torn as to whether leave it like this, or mount the connection into/onto the bumper somehow more like a 1:1 would do it.

Light isnt great - but looked like more detail could be seen in these than the ones I took inside.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:21 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by iguana102602 View Post
Looks great, love the Jerry can
Thanks! I am learning a lot doing this - it's been a fun first try at doing anything with styrene.

Scratch built trailer - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another scratch built JK rottenbelly 1.9 Scale Rigs 36 11-14-2011 05:46 PM
Scratch built rag6 Newbie General 2 06-30-2011 07:50 AM
Scratch built Scout Toombs 2.2 Scale Rigs 4 05-15-2011 07:38 PM
Scratch Built Bumper wes81 General Scale Talk 15 10-21-2010 03:41 PM
Scratch built 2.2 Kamikaze Tamiya Clod Buster 26 09-11-2007 07:51 PM