Notices

Thread: Wolf Creek/Speedweigand Garage/Service Station

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2013, 11:38 AM   #101
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Wolf Creek/Speedweigand Garage/Service Station

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
I wanna see the scale coffee beans that you grind up to fill your scale coffee mug before you 'get small' and go to work!
I was working on scale ice cubes but I guess I'm going to have to shift gears....
DRW-FJ40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2013, 10:53 AM   #102
Rock Crawler

Can it be? My Pump is finished? Of course not. You wouldn't know it from these pictures but I still need to finish the glass on the other side but naturally, there is an A & B side... and the internet world is never going to see the B side. I do have a Lead warning sticker that goes on the side that I neglected to print & need to stick on but other than that & the B side, it's done. Oh! and front shell decals. I printed them on "clear" decal paper & the yellow side looks good but the red washed out the decal so... not sure. May try white decal paper. But for now, I just took the yellow side off.

I rigged some rubber bands inside & put tension on the retract cables so they are actually functional. I went to a bit of effort to get 1/32” stainless steel 7x7 cable and then made them retract so you never see them… Pretty clever, don’t ya think?

But I'm very pleased with the end result.

Here is a detail of the retract cable rigging.

Old 12-01-2013, 09:12 PM   #103
Rock Crawler

very cool man. Great job! looks done to me
bvrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:04 PM   #104
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvrc View Post
very cool man. Great job! looks done to me
Thanks! the lead warning plate, done:

Old 01-06-2014, 09:15 AM   #105
Rock Crawler

I've been working on the doors but I sort of posted my garage door panel technique at the beginning of the thread and well.... i doesn't make for real exciting updates but... I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and nothing like mocking up something... anything... to get you motivated to keep pushing... gluing little sticks together. The hinges have me a bit baffled but I want to make them fully functional with rails, springs, etc.

I used the modeljunkyard technique and using sheet aluminum and a rivet, fabricated a hinge but... I'm not looking forward to another tedius task... thinking maybe of soldering some from brass??? dollhouse hinges? 3D Printing??, Duct tape?

Anyway, I mocked things up & like the way it looks.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:39 AM   #106
Quarry Creeper

They have model aircraft hinges that small.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk
NSR_CIVIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 12:25 PM   #107
I wanna be Dave

Any way to to make 1 long hinge then cut it up into small sections? ( Think- extrusion)
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:00 PM   #108
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSR_CIVIC View Post
They have model aircraft hinges that small.

Bingo! picked up 30 for $8 at lunch. Dubro. They're nylon so I can cut as needed. Thanks... I've been looking at dollhouse hinges & problem has been cost since I need so many.

Quote:
Any way to to make 1 long hinge then cut it up into small sections? ( Think- extrusion)
Isn't the intrusion? or implusion? LOL. the nylon aircraft hings are going to work I think.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:32 PM   #109
Quarry Creeper

I used to use them to hinge doors on 1/24 static models when I was a kid.. could work for this rather well, and probably work on hardbodys too.

NSR_CIVIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:56 AM   #110
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRW-FJ40 View Post
I've been working on the doors but I sort of posted my garage door panel technique at the beginning of the thread and well.... i doesn't make for real exciting updates but... I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and nothing like mocking up something... anything... to get you motivated to keep pushing... gluing little sticks together. The hinges have me a bit baffled but I want to make them fully functional with rails, springs, etc.

I used the modeljunkyard technique and using sheet aluminum and a rivet, fabricated a hinge but... I'm not looking forward to another tedius task... thinking maybe of soldering some from brass??? dollhouse hinges? 3D Printing??, Duct tape?

Anyway, I mocked things up & like the way it looks.

looking good. Been waiting on seeing your door.
mp3ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:40 AM   #111
Rock Crawler

"Got those highway blues, can't you hear my motor runnin'
Flyin' down the road with my foot on the floor"

Old 01-20-2014, 11:15 AM   #112
Rock Crawler

Well... slight change of plans. I still plan to build this for use in the outdoor scale park but after a recent photo shoot, I wanted to make it more user friendly for winter time, indoor, diorama like photo fun.

I started on the transition this past weekend. I used some foam boards for the base since I already had them but really should have used some plywood. But I'll put some underneath & maybe carve some tire ruts in the foam.

The Woodland scenic stuff is great but starting to get expensive so I developed my own brand of scale parking lot gravel. I’m working with a powerhouse distributor and was able to get it distributed throughout the United States almost overnight. I developed an odor control version hoping that it would remove lacquer fumes but no luck so far.

I put plastic over the pump island so I could glue the gravel right up to it but still be able to remove the awning.

Since my odor control landscaping ballast is not perfected yet, I raided my supply of left over interior latex. I settled on “Roasted Garlic”… It seemed like a good base coat and it will match our kitchen.

A little tip for anyone in the USA, At Lowes, you can purchase pint size samples of interior latex for under $3 each. For something like this, a few basic earth tones and you can mix & come up with a lot of natural variations.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:15 AM   #113
Rock Crawler

Next, I’ve been making trees for my slot car track so I experimented with bumping the scale up. My wife has been quite pleased with my dedication to keeping the burning bush pruned. I used some foam I had lying around to fashion clusters of leaves.

...and then glued Woodland scenic clump foliage to it. Experimented with hot glue, white glue & found spray adhesive worked well.

Really helps to make a little stand to work on it.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:16 AM   #114
Rock Crawler

I Googled “Small town main street” & found some high-res images & printed them out big and mounted them on foam board. The idea is rough at this point but I felt the initial results have a lot of potential.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:15 PM   #115
I wanna be Dave

The base paint is a great way to get some ground cover glued to the surface, you can add more and glue it in place with a white glue/warm water and a few drops of dish detergent ( it helps to break up the water tension) Lot's of great reads about doing scenery in the model railroad forums.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:20 AM   #116
Rock Crawler

Thanks everyone.

Quote:
The base paint is a great way to get some ground cover glued to the surface, you can add more and glue it in place with a white glue/warm water and a few drops of dish detergent ( it helps to break up the water tension) Lot's of great reads about doing scenery in the model railroad forums.
I'll try the dish soap idea. I was running out of glue & ended up watering it down just to make it go further & liked the results... and I had one small patch where I was totally out of glue & wanted to finish and just mixed cat litter with leftover interior latex paint.... now that's high-tech.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:19 AM   #117
Rock Crawler

Well... we had a good hangout in the basement day. The weather was so nice... we actually went out and drove... which really screwed up my plan to take pics inside.... not really... here are a few good ones.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:02 AM   #118
Rock Crawler

Also, made this photo booth... for lack of a better word.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:31 PM   #119
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannwah View Post
Man you've been busy! That's awesome!
I have.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:52 AM   #120
RCC Addict

Makes the stuff Jason and I built look like garbage. Haha. Great job. I'd love to see the whole park someday.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk
Tin Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote

Wolf Creek/Speedweigand Garage/Service Station - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wolf Creek RC Scale Park DRW-FJ40 General Scale Talk 253 02-06-2017 08:56 PM
I went to Wolf Creek... pardonmyn00b Scale Videos! 19 09-28-2012 08:32 PM
Wolf Creek ORV Park DRW-FJ40 Tamiya CR-01 11 11-22-2011 06:22 AM
My Hilux in Wolf Creek RC ORV Park DRW-FJ40 1.9 Scale Rigs 11 09-15-2011 10:08 AM
My Honcho in the Wolf Creek RC ORV Park DRW-FJ40 Axial SCX-10 33 07-27-2011 07:29 AM