RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Scale Accessories (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/scale-accessories/)
-   -   Scratch Built garage accessories (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/scale-accessories/569184-scratch-built-garage-accessories.html)

Bucko 08-11-2016 10:31 AM

Scratch Built garage accessories

2 Attachment(s)
Built this floor jack out of styrene using the 1:1 for reference. It does articulate but won't hold any weight. I used a soldering iron that accepted a #11 exacto blade, and used the side of the hot blade to mushroom the styrene pins allowing movement while holding it together. The jack stands are also made of styrene.

rerebuilder 08-11-2016 03:40 PM

Re: Scratch Built garage accessories

That is some very good detail work on the jack and stands.

Bucko 08-12-2016 04:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you for the comments.
Although not totally scratch built, I had to try cutting with thread (it works) and sacrificed a Mojave cab. I cut the cab along the body lines, then using styrene built the inner structures. Now they can collect scale dust in a scale garage.

ADlBOO 08-12-2016 04:55 PM

That jack is impressive, do the stands hold much weight?

Bucko 08-12-2016 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ADlBOO (Post 5548222)
That jack is impressive, do the stands hold much weight?

They aren't as strong as the steel ones, but they are holding a stock SCX10 in the photo. Thank you for your compliment.

dr frankenstyle 08-12-2016 06:16 PM

You, Sir, are a highly skilled craftsman. The detail of these, like your V8, is Top-Notch !! 8)
Thanks for sharing. :D

:)

Bucko 08-12-2016 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr frankenstyle (Post 5548257)
You, Sir, are a highly skilled craftsman. The detail of these, like your V8, is Top-Notch !! 8)
Thanks for sharing. :D

:)

Thank you very much, it's my pleasure.

Bucko 08-13-2016 06:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Made a couple of brake drums from water bottle caps and a little styrene, sprayed them with red oxide primer then weathered.

Mike Flea 08-13-2016 07:30 PM

What a great idea^"thumbsup"

WSD 08-14-2016 04:17 AM

Super clean work and highly detailed. Fantastic work my friend. If you font mind me asking what stock did you use to make the jack?

Bucko 08-14-2016 08:53 PM

Thank you for the compliments. The jack is made from Evergreen styrene, the side panels are cut from .040" sheet and the other parts are made from the many different shapes they offer. I'm fortunate to have a well stocked LHS nearby.

Bucko 08-18-2016 07:38 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here's a couple more styrene items. Couldn't find anything that looked right for the chain on the chainsaw until I found this ball chain at the LHWS.

Cali_Lightning 08-19-2016 06:08 AM

wow your work is amazing! love the detail that you go into creating these! the wood grain in the logs and teeth on the chain saw are awesome. You are very skilled my friend.

joe122 08-19-2016 06:59 AM

Absolutely some of the best scale garage accessories I have seen. Your fab skills are next level. That chain saw is amazing!

Bucko 08-19-2016 09:34 PM

Thank you guys for the compliments. I have gotten a lot of ideas and inspiration from lurking this site, so many creative and talented contributors. My wife urged me to finally join and share. Thanks for your interest.

(The log pile is real wood, it shouldn't have been in the photo.)

pardonmyn00b 08-20-2016 08:09 PM

Very nice work! So cool that there is functionality to the items.

Bucko 08-22-2016 07:15 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Picked up some basswood strips of various sizes from the LHS, then used this cutter I made from a scrap steel plate, angle iron, key stock, some aluminum strips and a single edge razor blade to build this folding ladder. The cutter does a fine job with thinner wood, straight, clean cuts. Used some styrene rod and the same hot knife method used on the the jack for the pivot points and styrene hinges.

rerebuilder 08-23-2016 07:06 AM

That is some very impressive woodworking skills on such a small project. Your work is off the charts.

Bucko 09-07-2016 01:33 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Here is my scale garage. Nearly all of the items are scratch built. Thanks for checking it out.

2kind 09-07-2016 03:36 PM

You Sir, know how to make an entrance :shock:

I for one, would very much like to see a play by play on Everything. No matter though.

Thank you for sharing! And thank the Misses too. We owe her Big Time "thumbsup"