Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Scale Accessories

Notices

Thread: My diy Scale strap and bungee cord

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2017, 03:49 PM   #1

Default My diy Scale strap and bungee cord

I decided to try making some scale straps and bungee cords today and this is what I came up with. Hope it helps some folks out...

I got the yellow ribbon and spring coils from Michael's craft store and the hair bands from the dollar store.

I started by cutting down the hair bands to the appropriate length. The ends were a very tight fit, so I heated the ends up until it shrunk down enough to force them in. A little twisting action was necessary also. When they were in far enough, I crimped the bottom coil so it pinched the band. It seems to hold well enough for my needs. I finished it off by un-curling the end loop to give it a hook shape.

For the strap, I made two end hooks out of a large paper clip. Bending them was kind of a chore. You'll just have to experiment and see what works for you. I found that the plier tip on some electrical strippers worked pretty well. I sewed the hook on one end with a sewing machine and the other end went through the other hook and passed through a paper clip that I bent in the shape of a buckle. I am a little concerned about the durability of the ribbon. I feel like it will start to fray after a few rollovers. But I think adding some CA glue to the areas that are prone to getting rubbed may take care of that.

Enjoy!
Armymech666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2018, 07:42 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: My diy Scale strap and bungee cord

Looks like they turned out great. I made my own bungees a few years ago out of hair bands but had to make my own ends out of paper cllips which made it a little time consuming. I didnt see on your post where you bought the little coil springs. Can you let me know where you found those, I was just about to start making me some more out of paper clips but your idea looks much easier and stronger. Thanks
lowblueranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 09:09 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Default Re: My diy Scale strap and bungee cord

Those little springs are in the jewelry findings sections of craft stores.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote

My diy Scale strap and bungee cord - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Torque RC Mini Bungee Cord Tie Downs - 2 pack tycoonman Vendors Miscellaneous 0 08-27-2013 06:27 PM
Cheapest scale Bungee chords ever! NeoK5Driver Axial SCX-10 7 01-16-2010 02:18 PM