Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Scale Accessories

Notices

Thread: Boat Trailer Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2019, 05:50 PM   #21
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Boat Trailer Build

So I removed the long leafs, and the next shorter one was right length. I CAREFULLY bent the leaf the other direction to a flattened end.

vf750rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2019, 05:56 PM   #22
Pebble Pounder

Then I used some small metal pieces as strapping, and attached leafs to axles shafts (1/4" brake line).

And I used same metal pieces to strap those flattened ends of leaf to the trailer. In the center, one piece of strapping holds ends of both the front wheel leaf and the rear wheel leaf. The leafs don't hardly move in these straps, therefore they aren't really 'functional' - but boat trailer won't be going 4-wheelin' (much) and looks count!

I then cut 8-32 threaded rod the right length as an axle, and attached wheels using nylon lock nuts and washers. A nut, then a large fender washer, then the wheel, then a small washer, then another nut. The fender washers look like big disc brakes on the trailer - probably not a bad idea to have!

Last edited by vf750rider; 07-28-2019 at 06:07 PM.
Old 07-28-2019, 06:05 PM   #23
Pebble Pounder

And finally, I spent some time cutting and bending an aluminum "Posted" sign into some fenders. On the back, the top of the fender extends and tucks over the frame of the trailer. So at the moment they just kind of hang on by themselves.

I've ordered some side marker lights, tail lights, and few more items. It's coming along better than I expected.
Old 08-10-2019, 05:32 PM   #24
Pebble Pounder

Well, I suck at spray painting. All the brands now days state "no drips no runs blah blah" - yeah, right. They haven't seen me use the product. But I bit the bullet and sprayed. I tried to do light coats, and many of them. I still got issues, but not too bad.

Old 08-10-2019, 05:39 PM   #25
Pebble Pounder

Next, put wheels back on and glued felt on runners. I wanted to use self-adhesive fabric half of 1 inch wide Velcro because, well, I'm lazy and that would be easy. But all I could find was white and Velcro is expensive in longer pieces or rolls. Only felt I found long enough was a piece about the size of a full bed, but it was only $5 at Walmart. Cut it with scissors, tried my best to get straight lines (it ain't easy). Used gel style super glue because it's thicker and wouldn't soak into the felt as easily. Glued about an inch at a time to help keep it straight.

Old 08-10-2019, 05:45 PM   #26
Pebble Pounder

Used a 3 inch screw, and super glued a piece of paperclip to the slot on top. Threaded screw through an aluminum coupler and added a 'foot' at bottom, using super glue to keep it from coming off as screw is turned. Plastic hold-down to attach to trailer, and a small plastic piece at top, and I have a tongue jack. Not the fanciest but does the trick for now.

Old 08-10-2019, 06:22 PM   #27
Pebble Pounder

I used a metal shelf holder for an RTA bookcase. They are available singly at hardware store. This style has a hole with a clear silicone foot inserted, I presume for glass shelves. I removed the silicone - the hole is almost right size for the hitch ball - I drilled a slightly smaller hole in a plastic bread tie and made a split in it, so that it 'opens' and 'closes' around the ball. I super glued this to underside. It works pretty well, holds well except in roughest terrain and allows some swiveling in all directions as a coupler should.

Last edited by vf750rider; 08-10-2019 at 06:26 PM. Reason: adding photo
Old 08-10-2019, 06:29 PM   #28
Pebble Pounder

Dollar Tree has 6 headbands for $1 - got a pack and using one for now to hold boat to trailer. Wheels/tires are sold in lots of 4 - I stuck with the 10 spoke black for the trailer, and used a 5 spoke black as a spare.

Old 08-10-2019, 06:33 PM   #29
Pebble Pounder

My local Lowe's had 1 left of a small metal 'truck box' that your supposed to put a gift card inside. Was adorable, I couldn't resist - mounted it opposite of the spare to hold life jackets, helmets, tools, etc.

Old 08-10-2019, 06:36 PM   #30
Pebble Pounder

I'm still waiting on lighting options and I have a few other odds and ends I'd like to tend to, but it's at least functional! Now I have to practice my backing skills - it's hard when you can't look over the seat back!

Old 08-10-2019, 07:44 PM   #31
Rock Crawler

Trailer looks pretty good.
A lot of good ideas of other use stuff.

Best way to back up is pull forward enough for it to be straight ahead of where you're backing into.
Turn the opposite way you want to turn the trailer.
And..

Don't back too far into the lake. LOL.
Zukiiholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 10:51 AM   #32
Rock Crawler

Hey 'rider, turnin' out really NICE! Creative details, I like the hitch and hitch-lock idea! Looks good with the boat too.

jim
dr frankenstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 10:09 AM   #33
I wanna be Dave

looks good i like to use a tamiya ball end fot the ball side of the hitch than just a normal rod end snaps on to the pivit ball and threads on to the trailer it makes a very secure conection i also use the rod ends to atach other items like spare tires or other items you would mount to a trailer hitch

Last edited by ferp420; 08-18-2019 at 01:16 PM.
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote

Boat Trailer Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New boat and scratch built trailer :) DKS_ONE Scale Videos! 6 09-11-2013 11:29 AM
boat trailer robert3719 Paint and Body 3 01-06-2012 05:45 PM
Truck & Boat Trailer (with FE Boat) Steve at Danfor General Scale Talk 28 03-23-2010 06:16 AM
axial boat trailer ls1 jeeper Axial AX-10 Scorpion 3 08-09-2009 06:15 PM