Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > Scale Comp Rules

Notices

Thread: SORRCA Competition Rules Release - Class Specs and scale points

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2011, 04:00 PM   #41
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Difuser View Post
It is a flat penalty per course, not per gate. For those that think it will help them it is available to use same as a winch, at a penalty. If you don't want to build including dig or 4WS then don't.
I have the fullest intentions of using 4WS, the questions I was mainly after applied to TTC, in which case I have been told that the 5 and 10 point penalties do not apply to that particular class. The confusion for me came from the fact that TTC, KOH, and ET classes had the statement of the 5 and 10 point rules attached to the Class 3 section, so under my assumption it applied to each.

Class 3 ‐ TTC/KOH/extreme trail truck

5. Other
5.1 Vehicles without an enclosed cab and/or doors must have the motor, transmission, and
electronics in the interior (drivers and passengers compartment) covered and hidden when
viewed from the top and sides.
5.2 Dig and/or rear steer are permitted. However, only the use of one or the other will be
allowed (per course) with the choice being left to driver’s discretion.
5.2.1 The initial use of dig or rear steer will incur a onetime penalty of +5 per course.
5.2.2 If during that same course you engage the other one, there will be a +10 penalty assessed
and your vehicle will be placed back at the last gate cleared on that course. The same penalty
will be assessed each time you use that item.

According to this, it applies to all, which I have been told it does not. That was were I was confused, not trying to start anything, just clearing up my side of the question.
primus2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2011, 04:07 PM   #42
I wanna be Dave

Some good reading there interesting very interesting.
kasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:11 PM   #43
I wanna be Dave

In that listing, "TTC/KOH/Extreme Truck" is referring to the style of truck, not that style of competition. Class 3 is designed to be a catch-all class for competition style trucks, as well as radical offroad vehicles like big ol' mud trucks and such.

TTC and KOH events will have altered rules.
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:15 PM   #44
I wanna be Dave

The TTC, KOH, etc, style formats are not currently used at MSD or other major competitions. We first wanted to come out with a format that worked for the existing, 10 gate style comp format.

There will be several other formats/events that certain item's use will be optional...mud bogs, hill climbs, truck pulls, TTC events, etc. (I'm not saying that we are or are not going to have rules in place for each of those as many clubs/events don't necessarily use them.) Since we're just starting this process, we needed to focus on a specific area and work from there or we would have never gotten anything finished.
EvilTwin v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:16 PM   #45
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by primus2010 View Post
I have the fullest intentions of using 4WS, the questions I was mainly after applied to TTC, in which case I have been told that the 5 and 10 point penalties do not apply to that particular class. The confusion for me came from the fact that TTC, KOH, and ET classes had the statement of the 5 and 10 point rules attached to the Class 3 section, so under my assumption it applied to each.

Class 3 ‐ TTC/KOH/extreme trail truck

5. Other
5.1 Vehicles without an enclosed cab and/or doors must have the motor, transmission, and
electronics in the interior (drivers and passengers compartment) covered and hidden when
viewed from the top and sides.
5.2 Dig and/or rear steer are permitted. However, only the use of one or the other will be
allowed (per course) with the choice being left to driver’s discretion.
5.2.1 The initial use of dig or rear steer will incur a onetime penalty of +5 per course.
5.2.2 If during that same course you engage the other one, there will be a +10 penalty assessed
and your vehicle will be placed back at the last gate cleared on that course. The same penalty
will be assessed each time you use that item.

According to this, it applies to all, which I have been told it does not. That was were I was confused, not trying to start anything, just clearing up my side of the question.
Not arguing Primus but
5.2.1 says initial use is +5
5.2.2 says in addition if second option is used there is a +10 plus a repo and the same for each additional use.

Did you read this as each use for first choice on a course? Only reason I'm pressing the point is we have tried to word the rules as clear as possible and if there is something we have made confusing we want to clear it up.
Difuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:23 PM   #46
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Difuser View Post
Not arguing Primus but
5.2.1 says initial use is +5
5.2.2 says in addition if second option is used there is a +10 plus a repo and the same for each additional use.

Did you read this as each use for first choice on a course? Only reason I'm pressing the point is we have tried to word the rules as clear as possible and if there is something we have made confusing we want to clear it up.
I had misworded some of my previous about gates, I thought I pulled that word but did not. TTC was my main focus, with there being 7 courses (not gates) and a 5 point penalty per course I had thought the total penalties would be a bit steep, but Warpig cleared me up on that about the 5 and 10 point rule for dig and rear steer not applying to the TTC.
I more than likely just confused myself by looking at the TTC/KOH/ETT section and seeing that rule posted there and figured it applied to each one.
primus2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:00 PM   #47
Rock Stacker

I guess RC4WD is going to get a lot of buisness since all but 3 of the Legal Tires come from them.

Last edited by BuddhaTat2; 01-06-2011 at 05:02 PM.
BuddhaTat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:47 PM   #48
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddhaTat2 View Post
I guess RC4WD is going to get a lot of buisness since all but 3 of the Legal Tires come from them.

I'm not sure I understand where this comment comes from. There is a pretty small list of Banned tires: (Losi Comp Claws; Imex red rocks, skulls and bones; Hot Bodies Rovers, Sedonas; Panther Cougars, Leopards; Jconcepts RocX; Pro‐Line Chisels; RC4WD Rocklins, Crazy crawler, X‐locks; Losi Bashers; Any buggy tires, truck racing type tire, pin tires) What tires are you wanting to run from any other manufacture besides RC4WD that are not allowed?
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:50 PM   #49
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
All tires are legal, except the ones on the Banned List. RC4WD, Pro-Line, Imex, Tamiya, SDI... all legal except the comp-specific tires.
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:51 PM   #50
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Quote:
The previously posted list of tire sizes was just to show that there are adequate options for tires in the 1.55 & 1.9 size.

It was not intended as a complete list of all the allowable tires for all classes.

As rogue & microgoat posted .... the "banned tire list" is pretty small.
Locked Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:23 PM   #51
Rock Stacker

I in noway was trying to stir chit up... Sorry for the confusion.
BuddhaTat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:39 PM   #52
RCC Addict

Quote:
I in noway was trying to stir chit up... Sorry for the confusion.
No big deal "thumbs-up", just wanted to understand what your meaning was, and to make clear that there are really not that many limitations on tires that can be used.
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:29 PM   #53
I wanna be Dave

Maybe this will help "light a fire" under the other tire manufacturers .
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:35 PM   #54
I wanna be Dave

As stated by others, that list was an example of available tires and was also noted it was not" all inclusive". I hope it didnt come across as those were the only legal tires....

I find it very useful, digging thru pages of tires to find sizes is really annoying. I wish the list was more comprehensive and that it would become a sticky for easy reference.

Paging Justin...Justin to the hot line..help us out with those graphic skills you have buddy...expand the list and we will love you long time

Last edited by hotwheels000; 01-06-2011 at 08:38 PM.
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:11 AM   #55
www.team3sixrc.com

Well the rules are layed out great and clear. So my question is, if I show up with a single seater. Is it allowed and I just don't receive the scale points, or what? I have a truck being built that is in fact another replica of a 1:1 koh truck.

Last edited by team3six; 01-07-2011 at 06:46 AM.
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 05:02 AM   #56
I wanna be Dave

Assuming you mean "one seater", yes it would be legal as long as it meets the dimensions.
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 05:23 AM   #57
I wanna be Dave

Great job guys...

Time to scour over my rigs to make sure they are legal...
Rckcrwlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:48 AM   #58
www.team3sixrc.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by microgoat View Post
Assuming you mean "one seater", yes it would be legal as long as it meets the dimensions.
Ok, so a single seated vehicle is allowed. Just needs yo meet the body dimentions. Thanks
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:43 AM   #59
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rckcrwlr View Post
Great job guys...

Time to scour over my rigs to make sure they are legal...
Yes I agree, great job and thank you. And yes I will have to make sure mine fit the class I intend to run. (Class 2).
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:16 AM   #60
I wanna be Dave

Here are my questions for rule clarification. This isn't intended to be "is my specific rig legal" but rather using my build as an example for the questions.

Class 1:
My plan for a C1 rig is shot down with a couple rules:
I wanted to use the 1:14 Fast Lane Jeep TJ Body, but unless I add flat fenders to cover the tires, remove the rear dovetailing (that the body comes with stock), add a full width bumper front and rear, then I can't run it. In any class. (doesn't meet the body height requirements for C2 or C3, and would look ridiculous with the tires needed to compete)
So, I'll build it anyway, and just won't compete with it. Maybe I'll build something class legal, but likely will just stick to C2 and C3.

Class 2:
What is the intention with the wording "production style hood"

My C2 build uses a Radio Shack Avalanche body with some custom work done to the hood. The full hood is there, and the custom work just changes the style to an existing 1:1 aftermarket style hood. Does this now disqualify it from C2? I can post pics if needed.

For this same rig, I am making a custom IFS set-up for it, and the chassis is half tub/half ladder frame. (I took the front half from the IFS donor, and the back half is a custom ladder frame that attaches to the tub) I don't see anything against it as long as the chassis is overall 3 inches longer than the wheelbase, right? Do I get any points for the IFS design?

The steering servo is mounted to the Tub, is that considered chassis mounted?

Class 3:
For the C3 rig, thank you for the tire rules, my existing Tall Irons fit in the rules and I will continue to run them. (Initially the question was because I used Hammer Sidewalls, but they are not on the banned list, and the overall tire resembles a scale tire in design, and is 5.7" when laying on its side, so I am good to go on that.)

Wanted to clarify the intention of this part of the rules too:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SORRCA Rules
5.1 - Vehicles without an enclosed cab and/or doors must have the motor, transmission, and electronics in the interior (drivers and passengers compartment) covered and hidden when viewed from the top and sides.
For the Hummer Buggy, it doesn't have an enclosed cab (not completely; I'll have side panels and a roof, but possibly no windshield or other "windows") so, if I have almost everything under the hood, but nothing is visible from the top and sides, then I am ok, right? I plan to have the custom transmission, motor, steering servo, winch, and esc/rx all stuffed in under the hood (for easy access, space, and weight) and the t-case/dig under the seats (hidden) and the battery stuffed wherever I can hide it.

The way I read the rule is that I have to place the stuff after the firewall, (that's where the driver and passengers compartment is.) and there just isn't enough space for that.

The dig/rear steer rule is somewhat confusing. I am reading it as: if I have both installed on my rig, for any course, the first of the two features I use are locked in as my choice for that course. So if I start a course and use dig first, that becomes the choice for the whole course, and if I use rear steer at any time, I get the penalty and reposition each time I use rear steer, but I can use dig as many times as I want with only the initial penalty. Is this correct?

Lastly, how do I figure out the points for the full tube Buggy? Do I get points for tube fenders, tube back, etc? I am using a hummer hard body for the panels, but I am not sure if I've got half of the body or not, do I get points for that?

Also, if I have a non-functional winch on the bumper, but have a servo winch hidden, does that get the "Functional Items" points?

You guys did a great job on the rules, and leave a lot of things open for the builder to be very creative with their rigs, but keeping it scale. I appreciate the hard work each and every one of you has done and in such a short time too.

Thanks!
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/scale-comp-rules/290744-sorrca-competition-rules-release-class-specs-scale-points.html
Posted By For Type Date
Official new scale rules 2011 - Nostr Forums This thread Refback 10-07-2011 06:20 AM