Thread: SORRCA Competition Rules Release - Class Specs and scale points

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2011, 08:44 AM   #61
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracer View Post
Class 1:
My plan for a C1 rig is shot down with a couple rules:
I wanted to use the 1:14 Fast Lane Jeep TJ Body, but unless I add flat fenders to cover the tires, remove the rear dovetailing (that the body comes with stock), add a full width bumper front and rear, then I can't run it. In any class. (doesn't meet the body height requirements for C2 or C3, and would look ridiculous with the tires needed to compete)
So, I'll build it anyway, and just won't compete with it. Maybe I'll build something class legal, but likely will just stick to C2 and C3.
Yeah, a 1/14 Jeep is pretty tiny. You'll have to come up with something else.

Quote:
What is the intention with the wording "production style hood"
My C2 build uses a Radio Shack Avalanche body with some custom work done to the hood. The full hood is there, and the custom work just changes the style to an existing 1:1 aftermarket style hood. Does this now disqualify it from C2? I can post pics if needed.
I see no problem with an aftermarket hood. Production style is more about size than style.

Quote:
For this same rig, I am making a custom IFS set-up for it, and the chassis is half tub/half ladder frame. (I took the front half from the IFS donor, and the back half is a custom ladder frame that attaches to the tub) I don't see anything against it as long as the chassis is overall 3 inches longer than the wheelbase, right? Do I get any points for the IFS design?

The steering servo is mounted to the Tub, is that considered chassis mounted?
We talked about points for IFS, but decided not to award them. Too many long-arm possibilities now to make it a real handicap. Your chassis would be legal in all classes as long as it meets the length requirements.

You would get -5 for a CMS. That's sort of the IFS bonus.

Quote:
For the Hummer Buggy, it doesn't have an enclosed cab (not completely; I'll have side panels and a roof, but possibly no windshield or other "windows") so, if I have almost everything under the hood, but nothing is visible from the top and sides, then I am ok, right? I plan to have the custom transmission, motor, steering servo, winch, and esc/rx all stuffed in under the hood (for easy access, space, and weight) and the t-case/dig under the seats (hidden) and the battery stuffed wherever I can hide it.

The way I read the rule is that I have to place the stuff after the firewall, (that's where the driver and passengers compartment is.) and there just isn't enough space for that.
That rule doesn't mandate placement of the electronics. It only says that anything in the passenger compartment has to be hidden.

Quote:
The dig/rear steer rule is somewhat confusing. I am reading it as: if I have both installed on my rig, for any course, the first of the two features I use are locked in as my choice for that course. So if I start a course and use dig first, that becomes the choice for the whole course, and if I use rear steer at any time, I get the penalty and reposition each time I use rear steer, but I can use dig as many times as I want with only the initial penalty. Is this correct?
Correct. Use dig as much as you want, but each rear steer will incur a penalty. Or vise versa.

Quote:
Lastly, how do I figure out the points for the full tube Buggy? Do I get points for tube fenders, tube back, etc? I am using a hummer hard body for the panels, but I am not sure if I've got half of the body or not, do I get points for that?
Yep, you'd get points for all that stuff. If you're not using half the body it'll go in C3.

Quote:
Also, if I have a non-functional winch on the bumper, but have a servo winch hidden, does that get the "Functional Items" points?
Sounds like a functional winch to me
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2011, 08:46 AM   #62
I'm a stupid C U N T!

Quote:
Originally Posted by microgoat View Post
Stu you beat me to it!
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:34 AM   #63
I wanna be Dave

Thanks guys, again, great job on the rules!
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:44 AM   #64
DOOH!!!

Quick question,

Class 2:
4.2. The vehicle's body must measure no less than four and one half inches vertically from the
top of the roof or roll cage to the lowest part of the side/door/rocker panel. Boat‐sides may be
included in this measurement, but are limited to one inch vertical height from the line where it
meets the body to the point it meets the chassis/frame.

So you can have a 3.5" body with 1" boatsides and be good. The boat sides are attached even with the bottom of the skid so this is the total height of the chassis.

Class 3:
4.1. All bodies (including tubers) must measure a minimum of five inches wide from front to
rear of door, two inches above the skid and must measure a minimum of five inches tall as
measured from the skid to the tallest point on the body.

but a Class 3 rig needs to be 5" tall overall ?

Just seems odd that a Class 3 rig needs to be 1/2" taller then a Class 2 rig.

Or am I reading this wrong?
MTHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:39 AM   #65
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHead View Post
Quick question,

Class 2:
4.2. The vehicle's body must measure no less than four and one half inches vertically from the
top of the roof or roll cage to the lowest part of the side/door/rocker panel. Boat‐sides may be
included in this measurement, but are limited to one inch vertical height from the line where it
meets the body to the point it meets the chassis/frame.

So you can have a 3.5" body with 1" boatsides and be good. The boat sides are attached even with the bottom of the skid so this is the total height of the chassis.

Class 3:
4.1. All bodies (including tubers) must measure a minimum of five inches wide from front to
rear of door, two inches above the skid and must measure a minimum of five inches tall as
measured from the skid to the tallest point on the body.

but a Class 3 rig needs to be 5" tall overall ?

Just seems odd that a Class 3 rig needs to be 1/2" taller then a Class 2 rig.

Or am I reading this wrong?
Class 2 yes your right.. 3.5" plus a 1" skid and all the other body rules it would be legal.

Class 3 again yes 5" tall total.

For the most the scale of the bodies used in class 3 should be slightly larger just using the tire size as a guide. There really shouldnt be any 1/18 scale bodies in class 3.
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:20 AM   #66
DOOH!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppy View Post
Class 2 yes your right.. 3.5" plus a 1" skid and all the other body rules it would be legal.

Class 3 again yes 5" tall total.

For the most the scale of the bodies used in class 3 should be slightly larger just using the tire size as a guide. There really shouldnt be any 1/18 scale bodies in class 3.
Got it..

Guess I just built a new R1 fun buggy Bronco then...

Thanks for hammering this out guys
MTHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:23 PM   #67
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHead View Post
Got it..

Guess I just built a new R1 fun buggy Bronco then...

Thanks for hammering this out guys
Yeah, it does look a little short. This was one of the many issues we talked/debated about for a long time. It definitely puts some tube builds out of spec (including some of my own ) but was the most fair compromise between tubers and full bodied rigs and, probably most important, prevents C3 rigs from becoming all out comp rigs.
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:38 PM   #68
I wanna be Dave

Default Class 2 question

Thanks to everyone of you for your hard work and dedication!

I do have a question for my class 2 rig.

In the picture you can see that I covered the tranny and motor with an aluminum tunnel but the sides are exposed. My question is if I put a canvas bikini top on the cage would I still need to cover the sides of the tranny?
I read through a few times and it didn't appear real clear to me whether this would be ok or not.

Name:  k5 034.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  42.4 KB
Name:  k5 043.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  43.2 KB

Thanks,
Brian
bmuzz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:12 PM   #69
I wanna be Dave

The intent of the rule for covering electronics/gears/etc. was that in scale builds, we don't want to see electronics/gears poking out everywhere. Takes away from the scale look. Going by the letter of the rule, yes, covering the top with a bikini top would comply with the rules. You could also alter the floor slightly or console to cover the spur gear.
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:17 PM   #70
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoli View Post
The intent of the rule for covering electronics/gears/etc. was that in scale builds, we don't want to see electronics/gears poking out everywhere. Takes away from the scale look. Going by the letter of the rule, yes, covering the top with a bikini top would comply with the rules. You could also alter the floor slightly or console to cover the spur gear.
Cool, thanks for the response Chris!
bmuzz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:14 PM   #71
Moderator Rule Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoli View Post
Then why does this apply to class 3 TTC type trucks ?
eric113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:55 PM   #72
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric113 View Post
Then why does this apply to class 3 TTC type trucks ?
We want all scale rigs to look like real trucks and not have spur gears, wires, batteries, etc sticking out all over the place.....class 3 trucks are no different. Sure a TTC rig is going to be a little bit more radical looking, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have too look less scale.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 05:56 PM   #73
RCC Addict

I'm assuming the tire list hasn't been updated since the Boggers and Claws came out? Or did I miss the link to the banned tire list?
fvrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:00 PM   #74
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvrr View Post
I'm assuming the tire list hasn't been updated since the Boggers and Claws came out? Or did I miss the link to the banned tire list?
You missed it.

Look in the rules under the first section and you'll find the "banned tire list".

Locked Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:04 PM   #75
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvrr View Post
The list of tires that has the sizes is incomplete. Those are really for reference only and I would not expect a full list of all tires to ever be completed. There are far to many choices to ever have that list complete.

You did miss the banned tire list. It is on the first page under General Construction.

Here are the tires that are on the Banned list.

• BANNED TIRE LIST (the following tires are not allowed): Losi Comp Claws; Imex red
rocks, skulls and bones; Hot Bodies Rovers, Sedonas; Panther Cougars, Leopards;
Jconcepts RocX; Pro‐Line Chisels; RC4WD Rocklins, Crazy crawler, X‐locks; Losi Bashers;
Any buggy tires, truck racing type tire, pin tires.
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:38 PM   #76
Moderator Rule Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Pig View Post
We want all scale rigs to look like real trucks and not have spur gears, wires, batteries, etc sticking out all over the place.....class 3 trucks are no different. Sure a TTC rig is going to be a little bit more radical looking, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have too look less scale.
Who WE ? Are you talking about rule committee or people that run scale trucks ?

Point is that interior's isn't everyone cup of tea. Because of this rule shot down alot people's build's.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:59 PM   #77
RCC Addict

Quote:
Who WE ? Are you talking about rule committee or people that run scale trucks ?

Point is that interior's isn't everyone cup of tea. Because of this rule shot down alot people's build's.
"WE" as the rules comity came up with that rule. This rule does not state you have to run an interior, just something to hide the exposed components.

5.1 Vehicles without an enclosed cab and/or doors must have the motor, transmission, and
electronics in the interior (drivers and passengers compartment) covered and hidden when
viewed from the top and sides.

When I read that no where do I see that it states an interior.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:00 PM   #78
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked Up View Post
You missed it.

Look in the rules under the first section and you'll find the "banned tire list".

I totally just blew past that section and straight for the class specs Thanks
fvrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:05 PM   #79
Moderator Rule Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
"WE" as the rules comity came up with that rule. This rule does not state you have to run an interior, just something to hide the exposed components.

5.1 Vehicles without an enclosed cab and/or doors must have the motor, transmission, and
electronics in the interior (drivers and passengers compartment) covered and hidden when
viewed from the top and sides.

When I read that no where do I see that it states an interior.
I'm sure that be reworded in future that is INTERIOR and not just cover.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:22 PM   #80
RCC Addict

Quote:
I'm sure that be reworded in future that is INTERIOR and not just cover.
Well no one can predict the future, but with the rules that have been released now, no where does it state you have to have an interior.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/scale-comp-rules/290744-sorrca-competition-rules-release-class-specs-scale-points.html
Posted By For Type Date
Official new scale rules 2011 - Nostr Forums This thread Refback 10-07-2011 06:20 AM