Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > Scale Comp Rules

Notices

Thread: SORRCA Competition Rules Release - Class Specs and scale points

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2011, 07:37 PM   #81
I wanna be Dave

Tint the windows if you don't want to use an interior. Hidden just means you can't see it.
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2011, 07:57 PM   #82
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric113 View Post
Who WE ? Are you talking about rule committee or people that run scale trucks ?

Point is that interior's isn't everyone cup of tea. Because of this rule shot down alot people's build's.
It didn't shoot down anything, just made you have to do a little more work. Nothing a little bit of painted lexan or styrene can't fix. If you don't want to take the time to hide things, then just have doors or an enclosed cab .
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:41 PM   #83
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric113 View Post
I'm sure that be reworded in future that is INTERIOR and not just cover.
I find that pretty unlikely..
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:22 PM   #84
I'm a stupid C U N T!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppy View Post
I find that pretty unlikely..
me too!
Covering up the electronics is not a hard thing to do, and an interior is a lot of work and we know that not everyone is capable of pulling that off. but it's not unreasonable to ask of someone to at least hide the Trans and motor on an open cab truck. even if its a flat piece of plastic painted black that sits between the door windows
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:29 PM   #85
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by slobin3d View Post
me too!
Covering up the electronics is not a hard thing to do, and an interior is a lot of work and we know that not everyone is capable of pulling that off. but it's not unreasonable to ask of someone to at least hide the Trans and motor on an open cab truck. even if its a flat piece of plastic painted black that sits between the door windows
Yep and a 2 liter of anyone's favorite soda would provide the material and quench their thirst..
Old 01-07-2011, 11:35 PM   #86
I wanna be Dave

Just measured the Hummer Buggy, and it's 4.5" tall... damn.

If I add a roof light bar to the top, does that count toward the 5" (it would be welded/brazed on the roof, and part of the structure of the tube)?
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:19 AM   #87
R2j
SORRCA Committee Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracer View Post

If I add a roof light bar to the top, does that count toward the 5" (it would be welded/brazed on the roof, and part of the structure of the tube)?
I almost ran into this issue with James' Bad Betty TTC 2.2 that I'm building, but since we are lowering the skid for the Summit trans, I'll just add some boatsides. The body and tube work, as it is now measures 4.75" and with the boatsides I'll gain at least a 1/2". Whew! Catastrophe adverted!

Not sure that would work for your though.
R2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:59 AM   #88
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Quote:

It would not be considered part of the roof.

Although integrated to a roll bar/cage, it's added on and not part of the main structure. It's actually scored differently too (roof top light bar -1).

I'd see what you can do about lowering the skid. Maybe use something like an SCX10 kid that drop down a bit?
Locked Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:07 AM   #89
Moderator Rule Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked Up View Post

Although integrated to a roll bar/cage, it's added on and not part of the main structure. It's actually scored differently too (roof top light bar -1).

I'd see what you can do about lowering the skid. Maybe use something like an SCX10 kid that drop down a bit?
Better talk your other committee members. They are telling people different about this same question.
eric113 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:09 AM   #90
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

SCX10 skid won't work, but the concept of it might. I only need 1/2" so either I will extend the bottom bars, or make an angled skid like the SCX10.

I'm sure I am not the only one in this boat, but rules are rules.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:46 AM   #91
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Are you sure about this??

Bumpers are scored different in class 2 but are used as a measuring point..

Maybe we need to clarify this section a little better.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:30 AM   #92
I wanna be Dave

I was also looking at XR10 skids, but not sure they give the 1/2" that I need... will probably just make my own though.

Rules:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SORRCA Rules

All bodies (including tubers) must measure a minimum of five inches wide from front to rear of door, two inches above the skid and must measure a minimum of five inches tall as measured from the skid to the tallest point on the body.

The wording "tallest point on the body" makes me think that an integrated light bar would count, but I would think that it should only be counted if it were welded/brazed on (if it can be removed, the vehicle becomes out of spec when it is removed... right?)

Clarification on this might bring some borderline rigs back into spec, or help someone get into spec by adding in the roof bar.

C2 rigs are measured to the top of the cage, and if that just happens to be the top of the light bar, it's in spec, so why not allow it for C3 rigs too?

Also wanted to clarify that even though chassis like the Xtrail and Cross Canyon are two plates of material that happen to be mounted vertically with a skid and cross braces, they don't count as a TVP, and thus are legal, because of the ladder-style braces? This rule is intended to prevent comp chassis with frame extensions from being used right?

What about someone that makes their own chassis out of flat plate material, but still resembles the shape of a 1:1 ladder frame chassis?

Last edited by monkeyracer; 01-08-2011 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:37 AM   #93
Rock Crawler

Quote:

Rules:

The wording "tallest point on the body" makes me think that an integrated light bar would count, but I would think that it should only be counted if it were welded/brazed on (if it can be removed, the vehicle becomes out of spec when it is removed... right?)

Clarification on this might bring some borderline rigs back into spec, or help someone get into spec by adding in the roof bar.

C2 rigs are measured to the top of the cage, and if that just happens to be the top of the light bar, it's in spec, so why not allow it for C3 rigs too?
The flip side is we could end up with 2" tall light bars.

Quote:
Also wanted to clarify that even though chassis like the Xtrail and Cross Canyon are two plates of material that happen to be mounted vertically with a skid and cross braces, they don't count as a TVP, and thus are legal, because of the ladder-style braces? This rule is intended to prevent comp chassis with frame extensions from being used right?

What about someone that makes their own chassis out of flat plate material, but still resembles the shape of a 1:1 ladder frame chassis?
Correct and legal.
KevenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:12 PM   #94
Rock Crawler

Eric113: on the point of interiors. I agree it's not everyones cup of tea. For example I bet its probably hard to hide a summit tranny in a ttc tuber, but why not run a "2d" interior like what is in a dingo body?

Aside from that I have a few questions about the rules. Is there really a maximum size? For example can you run something that is closer to 1/8 scale as long as you meet all the requirements?

On suspension: Is it kind of a free for all. Can you run all types like forced articulation, air shock, droop and winch on axle?

I really like the scale points and the option for multi axle builds. I think rules like these encourage people to build and modify even if its a little bit instead of just taking a truck out of the box and running it.
spookyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:19 PM   #95
I wanna be Dave

Comments in Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookyseven View Post
Eric113: on the point of interiors. I agree it's not everyones cup of tea. For example I bet its probably hard to hide a summit tranny in a ttc tuber, but why not run a "2d" interior like what is in a dingo body?

Or, if you're not concerned with the scale points, just have a black piece of plastic that covers it from view.

Aside from that I have a few questions about the rules. Is there really a maximum size? For example can you run something that is closer to 1/8 scale as long as you meet all the requirements?

As long as it meets the other requirements, use it.

On suspension: Is it kind of a free for all. Can you run all types like forced articulation, air shock, droop and winch on axle?

If they want to have the extra weight on the chassis for all that equipment, fine by me. While they're screwing around with 100 different controls on a top heavy rig, I'll drive on by them.

I really like the scale points and the option for multi axle builds. I think rules like these encourage people to build and modify even if its a little bit instead of just taking a truck out of the box and running it.
Thanks for noticing. It was our intention to try to encourage builders.
EvilTwin v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 06:44 PM   #96
Quarry Creeper

Are scale points awarded for leaf springs "per axle"?
edge540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 06:53 PM   #97
Pebble Pounder

Great job on the rules guy's.I'm looking foward to the new builds that come out as a direct result of the changes.
One question I do have is about the 50% fender rule in class 2.What about the JK bodies where the front fender is more of a flare than a fender and many guys have cut them off.are they eligal rigs now?I also run a mostley fenderless TJ in 1.9 class right now,with some small tube like fenders.You see alot of 1:1 rigs like this running the trailes here in the PNW.Are those eligal rigs now also?It just seems like a problem with jeep bodies.Most other bodies are pretty cut and dry when it comes to 50% of the fenders.
Thanks again for all the hard work on these rules fellas.

Last edited by Craig cw; 01-09-2011 at 12:37 AM.
Craig cw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:00 PM   #98
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge540 View Post
Are scale points awarded for leaf springs "per axle"?
Suspension/Drive train/Steering:
‐Leaf springs (front/rear): ‐3 ea, ‐7 both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig cw View Post
Great job on the rules guy's.I'm looking forward to the new builds that come out as a direct result of the changes.
One question I do have is about the 50% fender rule in class 2.What about the JK bodies where the front fender is more of a flare than a fender and many guys have cut them off.are they illegal rigs now?I also run a mostly fender less TJ in 1.9 class right now,with some small tube like fenders.You see a lot of 1:1 rigs like this running the trails here PNW.Are those illegal rigs now also?It just seems like a problem with jeep bodies.Most other bodies are pretty cut and dry when it comes to 50% of the fenders.
Thanks again for all the hard work on these rules fellas.
If you've only removed the flare, then you've left most, if not all, of the fender.
Picture helps.
KevenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:10 PM   #99
Quarry Creeper

I don't see a max stated, if you have a 6x6 or 8x8 wouldn't you get nor points for the leafs on each axle?
edge540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:23 PM   #100
Pebble Pounder

For some reason I Knew You would be the first person to respond to this post Keven.lol.Here is a pic of mt little TJ.

Craig cw is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/scale-comp-rules/290744-sorrca-competition-rules-release-class-specs-scale-points.html
Posted By For Type Date
Official new scale rules 2011 - Nostr Forums This thread Refback 10-07-2011 06:20 AM