Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > Scale Comp Rules

Notices

Thread: Scale rules committee press release!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2010, 04:06 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Scale rules committee press release!

The scale rules committee has been asked about tire size rules by several manufacturers, in an effort to help manufacturers get the public more and better products we are releasing this info so that they have adequate time for production.

There will be 3 classes.

Class 1. Class for the scale purists, 4.19" max tire height (all max tire heights are by manufacturers listed tire height), Tire mods are not allowed in this class.

Class 2. Modified to highly modified trail trucks, 4.75" max tire height, siping and lug removal legal (no reduced or enlarged tires, must be stock width).

Class 3. TTC/KOH/extreme trail rigs, 5.75" max tire height (tire mod rules to come).

As of this time, we are not releasing any more information. Please refrain from asking any more questions, because we will not be able to answer them.

Thanks, the Scale Committee.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2010, 04:16 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Thanks Tim!

Scale Tire Size Charts...
Scale Tire Size Charts...
justinart24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 04:12 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Thanks Tim...

This helps a lot.

John
Rckcrwlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:59 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for announcing this now. I think this will really bring back the old 1.9 realism as well as make room for some awesome large tire monsters. Good work guys!
edge540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:28 PM   #5

wish we had a scale class where i live
uglysami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Pig View Post
The scale rules committee has been asked about tire size rules by several manufacturers, in an effort to help manufacturers get the public more and better products we are releasing this info so that they have adequate time for production.

There will be 3 classes.

Class 1. Class for the scale purists, 4.19" max tire height (all max tire heights are by manufacturers listed tire height), Tire mods are not allowed in this class.

Class 2. Modified to highly modified trail trucks, 4.75" max tire height, siping and lug removal legal (no reduced or enlarged tires, must be stock width).

Class 3. TTC/KOH/extreme trail rigs, 5.75" max tire height (tire mod rules to come).

As of this time, we are not releasing any more information. Please refrain from asking any more questions, because we will not be able to answer them.

Thanks, the Scale Committee.

I know you guys don't want questions but this is rather important. Why is the decision in Class 1 to outlaw all stock Axial SCX10 tires that come in the kits? Seems odd to outlaw anyone who brings a stock SCX10 to one of the scale comps with the stock tires and it would be illegal.

The stock tire size on all Axial SCX10's is 4.2". You show max tires size for Class 1 is 4.19". Why not allow 4.2" tires to make it so an RTR person can compete with no modifications to tires?
Scott Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:55 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hughes View Post
I know you guys don't want questions but this is rather important. Why is the decision in Class 1 to outlaw all stock Axial SCX10 tires that come in the kits? Seems odd to outlaw anyone who brings a stock SCX10 to one of the scale comps with the stock tires and it would be illegal.

The stock tire size on all Axial SCX10's is 4.2". You show max tires size for Class 1 is 4.19". Why not allow 4.2" tires to make it so an RTR person can compete with no modifications to tires?
It's not outlawed, it falls into class 2 then. Problem solved
skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 02:11 PM   #8
WWW.THEROXBOX.COM

so the class 1 is a 1.5 wheel size and is not designed for me to run my honcho. ... just checking
The Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 02:29 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hughes View Post

Very good point. We have several box stock Honchos @ our scale comps (2010 Indiana State Top Truck Challange 1.9 Champion was a 10 year old little guy running a box stock Honcho!!!). I think this is heading in the wrong direction already. Why scare off the rookies and the kids. What is this hobby all about?
biggin69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 02:37 PM   #10
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

You guys are misunderstanding.

Class 1 is not intended to be an entry class. It is only the lowest numerically because it has the smallest tires.

Class 2 will be the "drop in" class for SCX10's.

Grizz is fixing to post some more info that will calm your nerves.
Locked Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 02:47 PM   #11
PapaGriz Yo

All, please let me clarify the classes a little bit here and what their intention is.

Class 1 is designed for uber scale rigs where performance is secondary and the ultimate scale realism is the primary goal, like the vehicles pictured below. Over the last couple years, and especially last year, it has been shown that vehicles like this have no chance against a box stock SCX10 in a driving competition, yet they are the root of scale R/C. We are trying to give them a place to be showcased and basically a place for them to "hide" from more performance oriented scale rigs. This is not an "entry level" scale class, it is more of a class for scale modelers. The plan for class 1 includes things like a high minimum scale points and strict restrictions on tire coverage by the body.

Class 2 will be similar to the "street class" that was run at Scale Nationals in Montana and the "1.9 class" many are familiar with. The SCX10 has proven to be highly popular in this class and the rules will continue to allow it. This is the class that a box stock SCX10 will be able to be entered in and is really the "entry level" scale class.

I hope that helps clarify things.
Attached Images

Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 02:55 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Thanks Grizz for explaining your reasoning! It all makes sense now!

Last edited by biggin69; 11-15-2010 at 06:22 PM.
biggin69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 02:57 PM   #13
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggin69 View Post
Thanks Grizz for explaining your reasoning! It all makes sense now!
Thanks for caring. Glad you understand our direction.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 04:07 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Makes sense to me!

Thanks for clarfication on this Grizz.
I think a lot of people saw the numeric number for the class and assume a beginner starts at Class 1, but a beginner is welcome into any class, as long as the rig fits the rules.
Box stock, and lightly modified SCX10's will drop into Class 2, where they compete against similarly capable rigs.
Class 3 allows someone building a more hardcore rig to compete against other hardcore rigs with similar capabilities.
Sounds like the intention is to keep similar style/capability rigs in the same class, and I fully agree with that.

Oh, and thanks for considering the new tall 1.9 RC4WD tire height in class 2, as well as allow narrow wheel mounted 2.2 Rok Lox in class 3. I think the dimensions are perfect. (Anxious to see what tire mods are allowed in class 3...)

monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 05:20 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I really like the tire rules for class 2, there is no way in hell a 2.2 rok lox reduced to 1.9 is scale... I think the tire rules keep a fair playing field for everyone.
Slowkrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 05:34 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowkrawl View Post
I really like the tire rules for class 2, there is no way in hell a 2.2 rok lox reduced to 1.9 is scale... I think the tire rules keep a fair playing field for everyone.
If you think reduced 2.2 Rok Lox are bad, can you imagine reduced 2.2 ProLine swampers or reduced Pitbull Rock Beasts or ProLine Mashers?

(BTW, I'm not saying that any of the above tires will be legal or illegal, so don't read into it...just making a statement regarding reduced tires.)
EvilTwin v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:11 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Sounds good to me. I understood post #1 just fine. Thanks to the guys putting this all together.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:44 PM   #18
Suck it up!

I like it. I also like the class definitions. Nice work boys.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:06 AM   #19
R2j
SORRCA Committee Member

Very nice guy! Keep up the great work!
R2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:08 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Thank you for posting this up. It really helps us out on what the classes are intended to be. This is looking great. Keep up the hard work, we all appreciate it .
70duncan is offline   Reply With Quote