Notices

Thread: SORRCA Rules on Hold!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2011, 11:22 PM   #61
Gettin’ back on the horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etype R View Post
... Look below...
going scale comp style, consider changing the classes to the following. Very rough ideas, but something along these lines I think would work much better overall.

Class 1: Daily drivers, 1.9 or smaller tires. Open to any factory 1.9 tire. No more then half the tire may stick out past the wheel wells. Class would be based off 1:1 rigs that are driven to the trail, not trailered.

Class 2: Trail trucks, 2.2 and smaller tires, no full blown tube frames. Base this around your average trail rig that gets trailered or illegally driven to the trail, but could get away with it in most places. Dove tailing and body mods to be expected. must maintain the stock body from the firewall forward. Hood/grill may be narrowed some. possibly give a percent. Drivers area can not be fully open, body panels required over tube work.

Class 3: TTC, just about a full open scaler class. Dig, rear steer, big tires, lots of power. I agree except, I would like to see one dimension that the vehicle has to meet. Basically describe it as no way in hell it would be legal to drive on any street in the U.S.A.

With the current setup class 1 and 2 are to close, the classes need to be more spread apart. Look at our normal comp trucks, 1.9, 2.2, super. Huge gaps between them, its obvious where a truck belongs.

Bobbing should be allowed in any class. What if I made a body from scratch? It can be as short as I choose. But if someone else were to buy a body off the shelf, they can't run it as short as I do?

I basically agree. With a few changes I highlighted above. Basically some more rough ideas, but to me they get the basic idea across. As Todd said there is not a lot of distinction between class 2 and 3, but IMO I don't think there should be. I think the gap should be larger between class 1 and 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slobin3d View Post
Thanks for all the comments, keep them coming and remember we want to keep the suggestions free and open so no pissing
But I have to go potty!

I also think that the penalties for winching, dig and rear steer should remain in place, otherwise like others have said it could and will be abused.

Thanks again guys for all the work.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2011, 05:03 AM   #62
Old guy

I think the classes have good distinction now, with the tire size.
ROCKEDUP RICKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:18 AM   #63
Rock Crawler

Iwould like to thank the Rules Committe again for taking on this in the first place, and for changing and or clearing up most of the questions asked. When I first read the rules alot of the wording wasnt too clear in my mind and still isnt. The fact that you are willing to make changes in them is cool and hopefully will make things easier to understand. My main event this year is going to be the MSD National(?) and I would hate to drive there (from Calif.) to be told that I couldnt run in a class that I thought I was legal for. I for one like the MSD rules that where in place last year and our local club used them for most of last year. Anyway, thanks again for the time you have put in and see you at the MSD event. Sorry for the long winded post a little too much coffee this AM.
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:07 AM   #64
Looking for new Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodJosh View Post
The sponser of an event should have NO bearing on what a person builds....
Builders should be influencing what the manufactures make, not "settling" for sub par scale stuff....

A daily driven rig, wheeled on the weekends moderately, would have it's tires tucked under the fenders, mudflaps and/or flares....or a glovebox full of "fix-it" tickets....haha.....

Scale or Daily drive or trail rig or TTC rig is hard to say what is ok and what is not becuse EACH state has there own laws for example in your quote I would not get in trouble for any of that but I have run 46" mt and 26" of lift on my chevy and the only thing I have every been in trouble for is bumper high none moving violation 65.00$ ticket got a box of them....

I see the resoning behind the rule's but EACH state and Club and Person are allways going to see it differant.

So thank you to those that are working on the rule's it has to be hard...

Last edited by yoda@4x4; 01-26-2011 at 08:20 AM.
yoda@4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:14 AM   #65
Looking for new Trails

And this is a street, trail, rock, play in the mud truck that I drive on the street in florida...what would it beconsidered

I would have to say the tire rule to be a little lose on it in C1

Last edited by yoda@4x4; 01-26-2011 at 08:21 AM.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:42 AM   #66
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etype R View Post
Dove tailing and body mods to be expected. must maintain the stock body from the firewall forward. Hood/grill may be narrowed some. Drivers area can not be fully open, body panels required over tube work.
Once you cut any body panel from the firewall forward, it is no longer "stock". Narrowing the hood/grill requires narrowing the fenders too, unless i9t's a fenderless Jeep. Either way, not stock from firewall forward....

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda@4x4
I would not get in trouble for any of that but I have run 46" mt and 26" of lift on my chevy and the only thing I have every been in trouble for is bumper high none moving violation 65.00$ ticket got a box of them....
Sorry, but a rig on 46" tires and 26" of lift is not a MILD wheeling rig that is PRIMARILY a daily driver, do you take it through the McDonalds drive thru??? Pick-up kids from school in it? Drive it to work EVERYDAY?.....

My race car is "street legal", but I sure as hell ain't driving back and forth to work in it everyday.....
HotRodJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:04 AM   #67
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
Although it may not be done by many clubs, I would not mind seeing some type of designation for single seat buggies. There has never been a place for these...
Just to get clarification on this. Single seater buggies are currently allowed in Class 3. Are you thinking a separate class with separate dimensions, requirements, etc.? KOH courses? I definitely have an interest in them too, so just curious as to what your thoughts were on this.
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:11 AM   #68
Looking for new Trails

Quote:
Once you cut any body panel from the firewall forward, it is no longer "stock". Narrowing the hood/grill requires narrowing the fenders too, unless i9t's a fenderless Jeep. Either way, not stock from firewall forward....

Sorry, but a rig on 46" tires and 26" of lift is not a MILD wheeling rig that is PRIMARILY a daily driver, do you take it through the McDonalds drive thru??? Pick-up kids from school in it? Drive it to work EVERYDAY?.....

My race car is "street legal", but I sure as hell ain't driving back and forth to work in it everyday.....

Well yes Sir that is what we do in Florida i even trail ride the woods on the weekends play at the mud hole... And I as I said things are differant in every state......

That is some of the problem with making up rules for the hole country that is way I give the people who are doing it much respec for there work..
Old 01-26-2011, 10:35 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda@4x4 View Post
And this is a street, trail, rock, play in the mud truck that I drive on the street in florida...what would it beconsidered

I would have to say the tire rule to be a little lose on it in C1

Beadlock wheels are illegal for street use in Utah and Colorado at the very least. Im sure there illegal in Florida as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoli View Post
Just to get clarification on this. Single seater buggies are currently allowed in Class 3. Are you thinking a separate class with separate dimensions, requirements, etc.? KOH courses? I definitely have an interest in them too, so just curious as to what your thoughts were on this.
Yes they are allowed, but not if they are under 5" tall and 5" wide. And the chassis must be as long as the wheel base. The last one is not much of a problem, but the 5 and 5 can be a problem for something like a campbell buggy.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:04 AM   #70
I wanna be Dave

It bugs me when folks start arguing about 1:1 vs 1:10. Let’s keep it simple guys, we have a sum what limited amount of parts we can build with. In my eyes, how you guys have limited the classes per tire size is enough to make it competitive. Let’s just loosen up the rules and let everyone start building.

BTW, I remeasured the amount of tread showing on my Class One yota I am building, even with Tango Down rims and HUGE axial fender flates, I still have .3” of tread showing....did I just shoot my self if the foot stating that in public. Just FYI, my full width of the truck, tread to tread is 8.79". Maybe we need to call the Class One class, the "Non-Axial Truck Class". Seem highly unthought out to be OUTLAWING the most popular axles (AXIAL) used and the MOST common scaler body(HILUX). Ok, vent over.

Last edited by justinart24; 01-26-2011 at 11:28 AM.
justinart24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:40 AM   #71
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
Yes they are allowed, but not if they are under 5" tall and 5" wide. And the chassis must be as long as the wheel base. The last one is not much of a problem, but the 5 and 5 can be a problem for something like a campbell buggy.
Yep, definitely hear you on this. Thanks for the clarification
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:44 AM   #72
Pebble Pounder

Maybe we should take into account the "type" of trail that each rig is built to run. I know some of you are going to hate this comparison to 1:1s but isnt there a trail rating system out there. I think a trail with a 1-2 would be a Class 1 rig, a trail rating of 3-4 is class 2, and above that would be a class 3. Just tossing it out there. Another idea to help clarify.
TraxFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:54 AM   #73
Official Cook of the ECC

Rules should be rules.........................They should not be different from state to state IMO. There is not enough diff. in terrain from state to state to warrant different rules.

And just because a big tired rig is seen driving on the street doesn't mean that is a typical daily driver.

Glad to see these rules coming to fruition, we have a helluva mess down here.

Last edited by Scattman; 01-26-2011 at 11:57 AM.
Scattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:11 PM   #74
Looking for new Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinart24 View Post
It bugs me when folks start arguing about 1:1 vs 1:10. Let’s keep it simple guys, we have a sum what limited amount of parts we can build with. In my eyes, how you guys have limited the classes per tire size is enough to make it competitive. Let’s just loosen up the rules and let everyone start building.

BTW, I remeasured the amount of tread showing on my Class One yota I am building, even with Tango Down rims and HUGE axial fender flates, I still have .3” of tread showing....did I just shoot my self if the foot stating that in public. Just FYI, my full width of the truck, tread to tread is 8.79". Maybe we need to call the Class One class, the "Non-Axial Truck Class". Seem highly unthought out to be OUTLAWING the most popular axles (AXIAL) used and the MOST common scaler body(HILUX). Ok, vent over.

No arguing here I understand that there is a BIG difference between 1.1 and scale 1/10 they have a lot in common put it is hard for a rule maker to set rule based on 1.1
Every rig I own is axial based so I am complete understanding on your part...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scattman View Post
Rules should be rules.........................They should not be different from state to state IMO. There is not enough diff. in terrain from state to state to warrant different rules.

And just because a big tired rig is seen driving on the street doesn't mean that is a typical daily driver.

Glad to see these rules coming to fruition, we have a helluva mess down here.

and your right state to state in 1.1 if your in a class in any kind of racing the rule's are the same for that class in every state...IT should be the same for 1/10 scale....no matter were you go....GTG, comp, fun run, what ever you are doing you should try and run by the rules so that every thing is fare to everyone....
Old 01-26-2011, 12:35 PM   #75
I wanna be Dave

Wow, I just noticed the no bed bobbing in the rules, that is unnecessary. I can understand no dove-tailing or boat siding but no bed bobbing in C1?

Quote:

No dovetailing, pinching, boatsiding, bed bobbing or other performance modifications
allowed.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:42 PM   #76
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraxFD View Post
Maybe we should take into account the "type" of trail that each rig is built to run. I know some of you are going to hate this comparison to 1:1s but isnt there a trail rating system out there. I think a trail with a 1-2 would be a Class 1 rig, a trail rating of 3-4 is class 2, and above that would be a class 3. Just tossing it out there. Another idea to help clarify.

X2....

However, the problem there lies in when courses are set up at a comp, rarely are there courses set up to accomodate each class....usually they cater to the more capable rigs.....courses that any sane wheeler wouldn't take their "weekend warrior" on...if that makes sense??? haha.

If you don't compare scale R/C's to 1:1, then it's really not SCALE in the fiirst place now is it???

Justin...got an parts for sale??? hehe
HotRodJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:47 PM   #77
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
X2....

Justin...got an parts for sale??? hehe
Thats not funny man!
Old 01-26-2011, 01:22 PM   #78

Quote:
Wow, I just noticed the no bed bobbing in the rules, that is unnecessary. I can understand no dove-tailing or boat siding but no bed bobbing in C1?

[/LEFT]
100% agree!
Old 01-26-2011, 03:14 PM   #79
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

[/LEFT]
I also don't like this, there's no use for this rule as it can make an otherwise C1 rig run against a more capable ( and less 'scale') C2 rig just because the bed has been bobbed.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:36 PM   #80
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
I also don't like this, there's no use for this rule as it can make an otherwise C1 rig run against a more capable ( and less 'scale') C2 rig just because the bed has been bobbed.
Thanks, I think it is also a advantage to have a long bed too, its like a rear stinger, help ya from not rolling back when climbing up something.