Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > Scale Comp Rules

Notices

Thread: SORRCA Rules on Hold!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2011, 11:07 AM   #101
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodJosh View Post
I feel my rig fits the class 1 designation to a T, except it's illegal do to the bed. It wouldn't be competitive in Class 2 whatsoever.....

At this point, when (not if Justin) I compete with it, the judges can put me in whatever class they see fit.....I'd just like to run with others again and have fun, I'll just throw my scoresheet away afterwords.

I don't see why that truck couldn't been in the mix in Class 2. Remember, scale points are there to help even out the class.
EvilTwin v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2011, 11:12 AM   #102
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTwin v2 View Post
I don't see why that truck couldn't been in the mix in Class 2. Remember, scale points are there to help even out the class.
Scale points mean nothing....almost everybody maxes 'em out in one way or another.
If the max scale points allowed was upped, then maybe.....but like I said, whatever class a judge wants to put my rig in, doesn't matter to me anymore....as long as I get to run....

Last edited by HotRodJosh; 01-28-2011 at 11:20 AM.
HotRodJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:38 AM   #103
I'm a stupid C U N T!

Quote:
Scale points mean nothing....almost everybody maxes 'em out in one way or another.
If the max scale points allowed was upped, then maybe.....but like I said, whatever class a judge wants to put my rig in, doesn't matter to me anymore....as long as I get to run....
I the SORRCA rules there was no limit
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:48 AM   #104
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
X2

Also... Before I say it yes they are ugly and they don't work but... I think Imex Red rocks should be legal.

For two good points
1.) They make cool sounds when they are spinning on rock.
2.) They are good in the snow and IMO look just as scale as the Pitbulls.

And there are similar things out there, granted they may be grooved quite a bit. 1:1 rigs do do it though.

We had a rule that said if you wanted to run a banned tire, you'd have to bring a pic of a 1:1 showing that tread pattern. I think you've done that with your pic of Jimmy's one-seater Have fun running those tires though

Quote:
I feel my rig fits the class 1 designation to a T, except it's illegal do to the bed. It wouldn't be competitive in Class 2 whatsoever.....

At this point, when (not if Justin) I compete with it, the judges can put me in whatever class they see fit.....I'd just like to run with others again and have fun, I'll just throw my scoresheet away afterwords.

I know how you feel Josh. I go out just to have fun, fart around with my toy trucks and shoot the breeze with others. Even if I was dq'd at the beginning of every course, as long as I get to run the course I'd be happy.

Having said that, I'd also say your build should fit very nicely in Class 2 and be capable on the courses. From the exterior, with the exception of the leaf spring set-up and different rear tubework it looks like the same set-up as Gerrish's yota that he won street class (what would be Class 2) with last year at scale nats.
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:50 AM   #105
Sinking with the ship

One more thing to add to the mix and I know I will get beat up over it but i don't really care....

"scale" crawlers are just that...SCALE...they are meant to look extremely realistic and we all know when it looks that real they tend to perform like crap. It seems like all the rules are about trying to keep the competition of the scale rigs apart from one another which is fine but some of the current very scale rigs out there would have to run class 2 and I can tell you right now my blue lux wouldn't have a fighting chance against class 2 rigs...Just using that as an example.

You guys gotta remember what trucks we are dealing with here...we are dealing with SCALERS....if you want something that will crawl anything then buy a berg or something

And yes, it's a competition but if at the end of the day you can't or arent having fun then what is the point?

I can tell you now if things don't change, although it looks like they will, you WILL loose a lot of people...I seen it happen in the nrctpa when lipo batteries became hot and we weren't allowed to use them...

I understand that as the hobby evolves rules will need to change or be added but if things are ran so tight and complicated and the rule book is like a phone book then that is just not good for anyone.

-Mike
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:43 PM   #106
I wanna be Dave

I have read through the existing rules a few times now, and I really don't see what is the big deal. I think the scale comity has done a great job on setting up a very solid starting point (Remember that all rules change during the course of there life).

I actually like how you have written the rules for Class 1. If someone wants to run Axial axles in Class 1, then they will just have to find a body that fits them. It doesn't mean that they can't be ran. This class needs to be the most scale. I think you will have some sweet builds for this class as time goes on.

I do somewhat see the point about the Class 1,2 and 3 wording. But really it doesn't matter what the classes are called.

I hope you guys don't change the rules too much. I like them the way they are
70duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:00 PM   #107
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadJeepBruiser View Post
I can tell you right now my blue lux wouldn't have a fighting chance against class 2 rigs...
I've seen you drive...

Quote:
And yes, it's a competition but if at the end of the day you can't or aren't having fun then what is the point?
My new signature... Thanks Mike

Last edited by Rckcrwlr; 01-28-2011 at 03:16 PM.
Rckcrwlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:10 PM   #108
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
"scale" crawlers are just that...SCALE...they are meant to look extremely realistic and we all know when it looks that real they tend to perform like crap. It seems like all the rules are about trying to keep the competition of the scale rigs apart from one another which is fine but some of the current very scale rigs out there would have to run class 2 and I can tell you right now my blue lux wouldn't have a fighting chance against class 2 rigs...Just using that as an example.

You guys gotta remember what trucks we are dealing with here...we are dealing with SCALERS....if you want something that will crawl anything then buy a berg or something

And yes, it's a competition but if at the end of the day you can't or arent having fun then what is the point?

I can tell you now if things don't change, although it looks like they will, you WILL loose a lot of people...I seen it happen in the nrctpa when lipo batteries became hot and we weren't allowed to use them...

I understand that as the hobby evolves rules will need to change or be added but if things are ran so tight and complicated and the rule book is like a phone book then that is just not good for anyone.

-Mike
Well said Mike.
I love the scale rigs and seeing them perfom like a real truck.....
I've said it before, but I think there needs to be "guidelines" on how a COURSE is set up to better cater to the class...
HotRodJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:53 PM   #109
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rckcrwlr View Post
I've seen you drive...

My new signature... Thanks Mike
You wouldn't be referring to the time I mopped up 15 comp rigs with my 2.2 scale 4runner and took home a 3rd place win (only a 5 point difference between 1st) on that trials course in pa??

It seems now we are focusing a lot on this axle width issue and axial axles being the # 1 primarily run axle on most scalers...to say we shouldn't run them or find a different body or add some ridiculous flares is...well....ridiculous. Axial imo has really stepped up to the scale community and let's face it, the majority of people will be running them...look at even a stock high lift F350, the wheels stick out on the body on that in stock form as well. Having a restriction as tight as it is now will only hurt new comers who are going to buy kits like the scx10 and high lifts.

I'm just trying to put down some reasonable points here guys, and like I said already, I'm not a person who generally competes but you can bet that I. Am looking out for the scale community as a whole.
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 04:14 PM   #110
I'm a stupid C U N T!

I think for the Most part everyone will be happy with the direction the Rules are headed
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 04:15 PM   #111
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by slobin3d View Post
i think for the most part everyone will be happy with the direction the rules are headed
eta? Do I need to order you and Ben some pizza and beer tonight, to help you two out?

Last edited by justinart24; 01-28-2011 at 04:24 PM.
justinart24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 04:51 PM   #112
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinart24 View Post
eta? Do I need to order you and Ben some pizza and beer tonight, to help you two out?
Kiss ass!
You just want to be able to buckle down and build next week whilst you're off work
Difuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:24 PM   #113
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Pig View Post
If there was no winch penalty then people would abuse it. Is much rather someone attempt a line a few times rather than bust out the winch first.

Also with the rear steer and dig. I'd rather them not be a mandatory item from the get go. Maybe down the line when everyone has them we can relax the penalties a bit. For now I don't want people to feel that they HAVE to have them to be competitive.

*edit: You beat me Tommy, but good to see we're on the same page.

Not trying to re-hash past explanations, but the wording of this just feels wrong (on the winching part). I don't mind the penalties, but it just seems that this is a "guilty until proven innocent" scenario, in other words everyone will essentially run their winch non-stop through the whole course.

I for one have a difficult time getting my winch setup and running it at the same time because mine is wireless, so I'm essentially running 2 controllers at once and it's a major nuisance, so I try my best to not use the winch at all if necessary, and yes, I know not everyone runs them that way.

What I would like to see is have a max # of say 1-3 winches per course (depending on its difficulty) and anything more than that is when the penalties start to accrue.

Just a thought that might bring everyone into a happy medium, if not, it's all good too.
primus2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:38 PM   #114
Web Wheeling

Winching takes time, and does not guarantee a recovery. On top of that a 3racing winch is under $30, no excuse not to have a winch. And most who compete have a 3 position 3 channel radio as well.
Etype R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:44 PM   #115
I wanna be Dave

the width thing is one thing we are addressing here, so thanks for your thoughts on that.

on the flip side, keep in mind were not outlawing anything here, axial axles may be rough, but how many of us would love a narrowed axial axle? In the comp scene no one outlawed bergs because axial didn't make a MOA. Axial saw a need to evolve.

**again this is just me talking and in no way should be taken as a view of the rules commitee as a whole**

thanks again for the feedback guys, keep it coming.
XSRCdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:12 PM   #116
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Difuser View Post
Kiss ass!
You just want to be able to buckle down and build next week whilst you're off work
Sorry Dan, your wrong......I have two weeks off.
justinart24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:12 PM   #117
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinart24 View Post
What about the rest of us on the committee?

Locked Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:59 PM   #118
Rock Stacker

The thing I am unclear on is the class 3, if it is based on TTC trucks then cages like the warthog and edge should be allowed. It follows the basic geometry of some serious crawlers and some real TTC vehicles, however the frame does not go too or past the axles, which in the old class 3 was illegal. People are building real rigs that are so far from factory its hard to tell whats r/c and a full size rig. Also these rules need to hurry I just started a completely custom build for the class 3 with a set frame and wheelbase but now I dont know how what the limit is. I could make my warthog chassis scaler just by putting on some small stuff here and there. But to be honest I cant keep building until I get some rules to base my rig on.
blazin396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:41 PM   #119
I wanna be Dave

If the whole chassis length thing is what's holding you up, Class 3 chassis must be at minimum as long as your wheelbase. That rule won't change.

We are working on them, don't give up!

As far as the Warthog and Edge chassis go, they aren't meant to be scale chassis, they were built as comp rig chassis.

Last edited by War Pig; 01-30-2011 at 02:43 PM.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:54 PM   #120
Rock Stacker

But has there been a set limit on the wheel base yet, that is the most important thing for me right now. Also, Warpig I have to say your scale bronco is without doubt one of the coolest and detailed rigs I have ever seen.
blazin396 is offline   Reply With Quote