Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > Scale Comp Rules

Notices

Thread: Updated and revised SORRCA Rules and Specs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2011, 09:25 AM   #61
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingo2010 View Post
Look, I understand that you all have been at this longer than I have, because I have only been doing it for just over a year. I admit that I don't know the progresssion of the tire sizing over the last 5 years. But it makes it hard to build a car to scale that you would like to have compete in one class, and because of a rule that has nothing to do with the scale look of the vehicle it is placed in a higher class.
To put it simply, decisions had to be made to accommodate as many people as possible. This means that, yes, there will be scenarios where someone will not have things go their way. Unfortunately, the decision to limit Class 2 rigs to a 4.75" tire somewhat adversely affects you. I say "somewhat" because there are 2.2 tires out there that will work for you. You just need to search around to locate them because they're not that common. But at least you have the opportunity to get a lower profile 2.2 to run in Class 2. If we made it a "1.9 class" you wouldn't even have that opportunity! Just something to think about...
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2011, 09:45 AM   #62
Say hello to my dactylion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
Are we having fun yet?
WOW Dezfan I just noticed you have hit 10,000 posts... Impressive.

Was this post enough to change the damn subject?
PinchFlat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:44 AM   #63
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKEDUP RICKY View Post
If they are not on the band list they are legal. If they are under the max size tire for what ever class you are running then they are legal. Can't get much easier than that.

IF Sloppy sends you a list ,I think he should send one to the 47,353 members of RCC too. that is a real number as of this morning.
Exactly right there is no legal list. no one on the committee should be sending out any approved tire list since there is no such thing..
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:46 AM   #64
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinchFlat View Post
WOW Dezfan I just noticed you have hit 10,000 posts... Impressive.

Was this post enough to change the damn subject?
Would you like to kiss my ring now?
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:51 AM   #65
Say hello to my dactylion

Quote:
Would you like to kiss my ring now?

PinchFlat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:52 AM   #66
I wanna be Dave

WOW Dez, how does it feel to have the same approval rating with scale guys as Obama has in the state of Texas?
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:53 AM   #67
I wanna be Dave

I love having fun!
Old 02-15-2011, 10:55 AM   #68
Old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Pig View Post
WOW Dez, how does it feel to have the same approval rating with scale guys as Obama has in the state of Texas?
ROCKEDUP RICKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:58 AM   #69
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
You know Tim, I could really care less. I know for a fact that I'm not alone in my feelings, I'm just not afraid to speak my mind. If the "Scale Guys" don't like it, tough shit!

I've said from the start that "Scale rules" are an oxymoron. Scale is subjective and all the issues that have been brought to light prove it.

I applause you guys for trying, but there is way to much personal opinion involved to try and regulate it.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:16 AM   #70
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
You know Tim, I could really care less. I know for a fact that I'm not alone in my feelings, I'm just not afraid to speak my mind. If the "Scale Guys" don't like it, tough shit!

I've said from the start that "Scale rules" are an oxymoron. Scale is subjective and all the issues that have been brought to light prove it.

I applause you guys for trying, but there is way to much personal opinion involved to try and regulate it.
The good thing is if you feel that way about organized scale competition, you don't have to participate or have anything to do with it. You can still do casual trail rides all you want while the rest of us enjoy our scale comps. Everyone wins.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:27 AM   #71
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

I knew the Obama reference would get you going....c'mon, I'm just having a little fun. Just like everyone has said, you can't please everyone, and the people that like to compete will build to the rules. Everyone else can build what they want and get together for trail runs.....everyone wins.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:41 AM   #72
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I am trying to work with what I currently have which is 4 sets of 2.2 billet wheels and I want to buy tires to put one of my vehicles into trail 2 (this is on my tr not the new one).
So, basically, this whole load of crap you've been slinging at us is because you have a bunch of 2.2 wheels and you want to run them in 2.2? Wow! It's amazing the huge deal some people will make just because they don't want to spend a couple dollars. so all of your post bitching about class 2 tire diameter came down to this.

Why don't you simply buy a set of 1.9 tires that you like and stretch them over the 2.2 bead? That way you can run your precious wheels.
EvilTwin v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:13 PM   #73
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
The good thing is if you feel that way about organized scale competition, you don't have to participate or have anything to do with it. You can still do casual trail rides all you want while the rest of us enjoy our scale comps. Everyone wins.
Quote:
I knew the Obama reference would get you going....c'mon, I'm just having a little fun. Just like everyone has said, you can't please everyone, and the people that like to compete will build to the rules. Everyone else can build what they want and get together for trail runs.....everyone wins.
You guys are right I(and others) don't have to play by these rules.

Unfortunately, you guys can't seem to see the forest for the trees. Scale has grown exponentially BECAUSE people just wanted to have fun, get together w/ their buds and play around on the rocks. They wanted to get away from the complexity of comp rules and way that they destroyed the aspect of having fun.

I guees it's true that history has a way of repeating itself.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:19 PM   #74
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
You guys are right I(and others) don't have to play by these rules.

Unfortunately, you guys can't seem to see the forest for the trees. Scale has grown exponentially BECAUSE people just wanted to have fun, get together w/ their buds and play around on the rocks. They wanted to get away from the complexity of comp rules and way that they destroyed the aspect of having fun.

I guees it's true that history has a way of repeating itself.
So you feel there should be no scale comps, right?
Old 02-15-2011, 01:50 PM   #75
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
So you feel there should be no scale comps, right?
Not at all.

What I'm saying is that "regulating" ever aspect of a "Scale" rig is counter productive.

The new rules are much much better, but as you can see from many of the response, questions, comments, etc... It's very difficult to come to a point of agreement when the subject is so subjective and open to interpretation.

IMO, a very simple set of "guidelines" is more appropriate to this genre.

Scale is much more about free expression, divergence, and individuality. To force people to "conform" (which I've seen referenced several times) to rules instead of the rules conforming to what people wish to build is going to lead to animosity and resentment toward those rules.

I feel like some on the committee are taking this personal, it's not. I just think that we need to be very careful how this is approached and implemented.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:06 PM   #76
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Not at all.

What I'm saying is that "regulating" ever aspect of a "Scale" rig is counter productive.

The new rules are much much better, but as you can see from many of the response, questions, comments, etc... It's very difficult to come to a point of agreement when the subject is so subjective and open to interpretation.

IMO, a very simple set of "guidelines" is more appropriate to this genre.

Scale is much more about free expression, divergence, and individuality. To force people to "conform" (which I've seen referenced several times) to rules instead of the rules conforming to what people wish to build is going to lead to animosity and resentment toward those rules.

I feel like some on the committee are taking this personal, it's not. I just think that we need to be very careful how this is approached and implemented.
I hear you. So what would you suggest that's better than what is currently proposed?

EDIT: Just to be clear, that's a sincere question, not being a smart azz.

Last edited by Tommy R; 02-15-2011 at 02:09 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:24 PM   #77
I wanna be Dave

At this point, I'm not sure.

The rules are already in place, and the wheels are in motion(i.e. builds, events, etc..). I guess the only thing to do is sit back and see how it plays out. Hopefully the rules have been relaxed enough to allow for the individuality and uniqueness of the builds and builders to continue to prosper.

I would really hate to see the "scale" competition vehicle turn into so many cookie cutters rigs like the comp classes have become.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:37 PM   #78
Old guy

Quote:
I agree 100%
ROCKEDUP RICKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 03:59 PM   #79
I wanna be Dave

I think yall did a great job with the rules and kept them nice and simple. I'm not a big fan of the bonus system in general, but I like the class designations and rules.
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:25 PM   #80
Suck it up!

Quote:
I am trying to work with what I currently have which is 4 sets of 2.2 billet wheels and I want to buy tires to put one of my vehicles into trail 2.
1.9 wheels can be had cheap. I bought a set of Honcho wheels and tires a while back for $25. Buy some and quit worrying about it.

Quote:
The rules are already in place, and the wheels are in motion(i.e. builds, events, etc..). I guess the only thing to do is sit back and see how it plays out. Hopefully the rules have been relaxed enough to allow for the individuality and uniqueness of the builds and builders to continue to prosper.
Was it written in the rules that they are forever and ever? If something doesn't seem to work out, then it can be changed next year. No biggie.

Though I do agree that it'd suck to have some uber strict scale rules. I think the new set is pretty flexable. Enough guidelines to keep rigs in order without limiting creativity.

I am a little bummed that you only get a bonus for leaf springs while everything else (mainly 3 link/panhard bar) is lumped in with plain 'ol 4 links...
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/scale-comp-rules/297817-updated-revised-sorrca-rules-specs.html
Posted By For Type Date
Updated and Revised SORRCA Rules This thread Refback 10-04-2011 07:16 PM