Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > Scale Comp Rules

Notices

Thread: *2011 SORCCA Course points and penalties*

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2011, 06:14 PM   #1
I'm a stupid C U N T!

Arrow *2011 SORCCA Course points and penalties*

SORRCA is proud to release the 2011 seasons course points and penalties. We appreciate everyone's patience with us as we finished these up. We as a committee decided for the 2011 season, to leave point outs up to the clubs. We do suggest that clubs use a a point out value range between 60-80 for a max point out.

Course points and Penalties

Reverse: 1 point
Gate Marker: 10 points
Rollover: 5 points
Boundary Marker: 10 points
Vehicle Touch (Repair & Repositions): 10 points
Course Direction: 10 points
Winch: 1 point
Assisted Recovery: 10 points
Dig/Rear steer: 5 points
Did not finish point out +20 points
Did not start point out +50 points

Back Up/ Reverse: (1 pt) point is given when a vehicle reverses course after making forward progress. Reversing is defined as at any time if any of the tires move the vehicle backward or spin in the reverse direction, whether engaged or in freewheel and/or whether intentional or not. Once a reverse penalty is given, no further reverse penalty can be given until the vehicle makes forward progress. No penalty is given if the backward movement is part of a penalized rollover. If a driver begins a course in reverse, a reverse penalty will occur immediately.

Rollover: (5pts) Points are given when a vehicle rolls over and cannot be corrected without touching. Once the vehicle has stopped it may be rolled back onto it's wheels and a 5 point penalty shall be given. Vehicles that land back on their wheels without assistance are not penalized. No reverse penalties will be awarded until the vehicle is righted. The vehicle may at no time be lifted, slid or moved in any way other than a smooth, continuous roll to the left or right side only. Any other manipulation or movement of the vehicle will be considered a Vehicle Touch.

Vehicle Touch: (10 pts) All vehicle touches excluding “Rollovers”, "Winching", "Assisted Recoveries"(see associated rules) , intentional or unintentional, are given an automatic 10 points. The judge then will stop time when either the driver calls for a vehicle touch or the judge calls a driver touch. The vehicle is then moved back by the driver to the previously cleared gate with the rear axle aligned to that gate. If the vehicle cannot be aligned to the gate due to course design, the judge will reposition the vehicle to the next stable location after the cleared gate. This location will be used for all drivers. Note: All gates for progress are still “live” unless a gate has already been deemed “dead”.

Vehicle Touches: include but are not limited to: repairs, repositions, vehicle driving/falling into the driver.

On Course Repairs: (Touch 10pts) Must be completed on course and in the spot of which the driver decided to take the repair. Repairs must be made within the course time, while the course timer will continue to run. If repairs are made
within the course time the driver must return to the last previous gate cleared. If repairs cannot be made within the course time, the driver is given a DNF minus progress points for that course. There are no restrictions on whom or how the repairs are made.

Off course repairs: (Touch 10pts) A driver can call time to make an off course repair. Repairs should be completed within 30 minutes, or the driver is given a DNF minus progress points. If the repair is made in the
allotted time the driver must return to the last previous gate cleared. A 1 minute time penalty will be subtracted from the time that is left on that course, the timer will continue once the vehicle makes forward progress

Reposition: (10 pts) the vehicle will be placed with it's rear tires in the last gate progressed or ,the nearest stable location after the last cleared gate if the last gate cleared is unstable.

Gate Marker: (10 pts each) each gate will be comprised of 2 gate markers. Points are given when all wheels do not travel between gate markers or any part of the vehicle, driver, a tow strap or winch line touches a gate marker. A gate marker will remain "live" for the entire duration of the attempt on the course. Once any gate marker has been touched or straddled, no more penalties will be given for that gate marker. Only when a gate penalty is assessed will that gate marker be deemed "dead". No further penalties will be assessed at this point for that gate marker.

Boundary Marker: (10 pts each) Points are given when any part of the vehicle touches a boundary marker. Once a boundary marker is touched the judge then will stop time, and the vehicle is then moved back by the driver
to the previously cleared gate with the rear axle aligned to that gate. If the vehicle cannot be aligned to the gate due to course design, the judge will reposition the vehicle to the next stable location after the cleared gate. This location will be used for all drivers. A boundary marker will remain "live" for the entire duration of the attempt on the course, and should be replaced if moved. Boundary markers are not required in the design of a course.

DNF (Did Not Finish): (Point out +20 pts) are given anytime a driver cannot complete a course for any reason. (Time expired, Point-Out, Vehicle not repairable, Went Home …etc) Progress points are awarded for each gate completed and Scale points are awarded.

DNS (Did Not Start): (Point out +50 pts) are given anytime a driver cannot start a course for any reason. Vehicle must start course under its own power. No Scale points will be awarded to this course.

Progress bonus: (-2 progress point) shall be awarded to drivers for each gate that is cleared by the vehicle during the attempt of a course. A gate is considered cleared and a progress bonus shall be given when at least one front and one rear tire passes completely through the gate in the intended direction of the gate. All tires must pass completely through the gate to receive the progress bonus without a gate penalty. A 10 point gate penalty shall be given if all tires do not clear the gate, even if no gate marker is touched or straddled. The tires of the vehicle must travel completely through the gate, and not just break the plane of the gate. Tires must pass through the gate in the same direction and in the same attempt before a progress bonus is awarded. These points are deducted from the total course score. Once a driver has pointed out, no further Progress Points will be awarded.

Course Direction: (10 pts) Gates must be cleared in their intended direction and sequence. Any part of the vehicle entering an non-cleared gate in the wrong direction, or driven through out of sequence will result in a 10 point penalty. The judge will stop time. The vehicle is then moved back to the previously cleared gate (see reposition rule) Once the gate is cleared and awarded progress it can be traveled in any sequence or direction.

Winching: (1 pt each) A winch penalty will be assessed every time the winch cable is connected for a pull. If the winch line comes unhooked during a pull, or a 2nd attachment is needed, another penalty will be assessed. If at any time during the process of removing recovery tools and/or winch line from vehicle, the vehicle is moved by any force other than it's winch or it's own power, a touch penalty will be assessed and the vehicle repositioned to the last cleared gate (see Vehicle touch rule).

Assisted Recovery: (10 pts) At any time during the course, a driver may call for an assisted recovery. With the clock running, another vehicle will be brought onto the course to pull or winch the stranded vehicle to safety. The stranded vehicle shall not be pulled beyond the original position of the rescuing vehicle or it will result in another Assisted Recovery penalty.

Dig/Rear Steer (Class 3 only): (5 pts) Dig and rear steer are both legal in Class 3, but only one may be used per course. The first use of dig or rear steer will incur a +5 point penalty; subsequent uses of the same feature (dig or rear steer) on the same course are free. Use of the other feature is prohibited. If at any time on the same course the driver uses rear steer after using dig, or uses dig after using rear steer, a reposition penalty will be incurred, and the truck will be placed at the last cleared gate.

Safety Time Out: A driver may call for time to stop so that he or she may safely reposition themselves on the course. This time shall be used for the purpose of driver safety and may not be used to survey the course or for any other advantage. Once the competitor is repositioned the time will start, however the judge has the right to start time at any point.

Vehicle Out of Spec: If the Judge has reason to believe a vehicle is out of spec during a course run, he may call time to stop. At that point no additional inputs maybe given by the driver to the vehicle via touch or radio
control. The Judge must mark the vehicle’s location and perform a tech inspection in the specified tech area (same manner as all other tech inspections). If the vehicle has been deemed within spec, the driver and vehicle will return to the location marked by the judge and the clock will start once again. If the vehicle is now out of spec and the Judge has determined that the vehicle has gained an advantage, the driver must take a repair to correct the problem. If the problem can not be corrected to bring the vehicle back within spec, the driver will receive a DNF for that course. If a vehicle falls out of spec due to breakage on course and the Judge determines the driver has not gained an advantage, then the driver may be allowed to continue on course without stopping time and requiring a tech inspection. Bodies, and body panels are not included in this exception, and must be replaced immediately, standard repair procedures and penalties apply.

Last edited by slobin3d; 03-18-2011 at 06:31 PM.
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2011, 06:49 AM   #2
Old guy

Great job guys. We are on a roll now. Let the scale comping begain. I'm stoked.

Wish I could make the Nats this year, I'll shoot for next year.
ROCKEDUP RICKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:04 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Nice job on the course rules guys. One question, what is the time allowed on a course once you start? I read thru them a few times but didnt see a set time. Thanks
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:13 AM   #4
Old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bill View Post
Nice job on the course rules guys. One question, what is the time allowed on a course once you start? I read thru them a few times but didnt see a set time. Thanks
That would probly be up to the course designer, I would think.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:18 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bill View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKEDUP RICKY View Post
That would probly be up to the course designer, I would think.
Rockedup Ricky is correct, it is up to the clubs and/or course designers.
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:07 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Thanks guys.
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:08 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Thanks a million
Gimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:34 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Just a quick question, what is the time alotment for the courses and how many gates? Or is that left to the club or group running the comp.? Also in scale comp., do you run 3 courses like regular comps? I have not been to a scale comp. so I am a little unclear on how it runs.
thanks

sorry, i see the answer to the time question has already been posted in a previous reply.
dingo2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:34 AM   #9
Old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingo2010 View Post
Just a quick question, what is the time alotment for the courses and how many gates? Or is that left to the club or group running the comp.? Also in scale comp., do you run 3 courses like regular comps? I have not been to a scale comp. so I am a little unclear on how it runs.
thanks

sorry, i see the answer to the time question has already been posted in a previous reply.
It will be up to the event organizer on how many gates and how much time for each course. A event I feel should have at least 3 courses, but I like 4 to 6 courses.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:41 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingo2010 View Post
thanks

Ricky is correct. In our club we run 2 courses for each class, with a start line, 9 gates and a finish gate. All gates are live and worth progress points. Having 10 progress gates just makes it easier to do math at the end of the day. With the way we have the scale points set up (with 50% of your points applied per course) it doesn't matter how many courses are run, it all equals out. We also usually allow 15 minutes at our comps because some of the newer guys like to have more time. We wouldn't allow that much time at a large national event due to time constraints, but at a club level its a lot more relaxed.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:13 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Nice work guys.
justinart24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:34 AM   #12
RCC Addict

What would you say about anchoring? I've anchored to trees before while sidehilling to keep from rolling over. This would be using a strap,not a winch.
JesterSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:39 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesterSpec View Post
What would you say about anchoring? I've anchored to trees before while sidehilling to keep from rolling over. This would be using a strap,not a winch.
You're welcome to take it as a winch -1

or a Touch -10 and repo to the last gate

you're choice.....
Difuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:15 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Can the same rig run class 2 and 3 (at the same comp) without any changes and tech's-in properly?
Old 03-30-2011, 08:05 PM   #15
I'm a stupid C U N T!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimp View Post
Can the same rig run class 2 and 3 (at the same comp) without any changes and tech's-in properly?
at a local level, if you club want to let someone run the same truck in 2 classes in thats fine and up to them, but on a national level you wouldn't be able to
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:25 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slobin3d View Post
at a local level, if you club want to let someone run the same truck in 2 classes in thats fine and up to them, but on a national level you wouldn't be able to
Exactly what I wanted to know, thanks a million
Old 07-20-2011, 06:46 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Can Sand ladders be used? Or would that be considered a touch and course modification?
Jslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:05 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jslick View Post
Can Sand ladders be used? Or would that be considered a touch and course modification?
Same as a winch: +1 point. Ladders must be carried on the vehicle.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:09 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Thanks, just want to clear that up.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:51 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Default complete custom built body??

Complete Custom built body:
(metal or hard plastic, no lexan) full
4, Cab 2 (in addition to hard body points)

Ok need claification on this. Can you take an existing hard body and rework it by lenghtening or shortening it, dove tailing to fit this category or is strictly all styrene original work? I need input from the rule makers on this only.

Thanks John